Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2015, 18:20   #16

Re: NYC moorings??

A true Manhattanite here,

You've gotten great advice for mooring from above peeps

From LGA to 79th st.boat basin make Res. and take "Supper shuttle" or perhaps regular yellow cab to basin-can be rolly.

The Liberty Marina in Jersey is GREAT ! Best airport for there is EWR (Newark Airport)
Sheepshead Bay YC is good also.

There are many others farther afield from Apple core though Boat Basin prolly best for touristing .
Have Great visit!

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 18:35   #17

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

There is also a bus from LGA, M60, which will take you to Manhattan (and if you need to get to 79th st basin, use the 2 or 3 (red) lines from 125th st where you get off the bus, to maybe 72 st if you don't want to transfer again, or to 96 st then transfer to 1 and get off at 79 st). But the NYC public transportation is not made for people with luggage, it is a real pain - and cab ride from LGA is not that expensive as a one off (probably under $50 incl tip).

As to the boat basin - I used to bike by it, and it looked rolly.

How many nights are you spending and how packed is your schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 18:41   #18

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

I'd also add that although I could never afford north cove, I learned to sail with their sailing school, and it is also rolly.

Also, anywhere on the Hudson is quite a bit of current (except liberty which is in its own secluded basin) and water taxi traffic (which causes most of the rolling).

antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 18:42   #19

Boat: Shannon 43'

Stayed at the docks at 79th St Boat Basin in 2009 for 2 weeks.... Loved it! Only 2 blocks to the subway, and a great restaurant/bar scene overlooking the marina. On a beautiful Hudson River walkway. Trade offs..sure it's not the upscale city marina, and at low tide your keel may touch some mud...still my recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SaltyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 19:46   #20

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
Also, anywhere on the Hudson is quite a bit of current
That's a good point about 79th St. if you stay on a mooring. Do you have a motor on your dinghy? I rowed against the current and one night I was a little skeptical of whether I was going to make it back to the boat or end up in Staten Island. Of course you could just pay better attention to tides than I did...
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 19:55   #21

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

If proximity to La Guardia airport is needed, The Worlds Fair Marina is just off the
end of one of the runways. Probably a mile from terminal.
Flushing Bay is not a garden spot but is very protected and planes stop flying around 11 p.m. Also short walk to # 7 train which will bring you to mid town Manhattan in
a half hour.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 05:26   #22

Boat: Freedom Sailboat 36/38'

YIKES! $7/ft! We are thrifty sailboats. We will try for mooring! We called and the guy at 79th quoted $3.65/ft for slip or $30 for mooring no reservations. Our family got great rate for flight into LGA. Guess they will have to spring for cab.
Goinplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 05:35   #23

Y'all are giving awesome advice. Any suggestions as we go up the Hudson? We'd like to stop at West Point and Culinary Inst. our son went to USMA and wants to revisit. Has anyone done that by boat? We have a good dinghy.
Old 30-04-2015, 05:38   #24

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinplaces View Post
YIKES! $7/ft! We are thrifty sailboats. We will try for mooring! We called and the guy at 79th quoted $3.65/ft for slip or $30 for mooring no reservations. Our family got great rate for flight into LGA. Guess they will have to spring for cab.

There is public transportation from LGA these days. An AirTrain to a subway. Will take some time to get to 79th street, but cost something like $7. Google map it.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 06:27   #25

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

We stayed at the Harlem Yacht club on City Island. A mooring was $30 per night, but stay 4 nights and get 3 nights free. Their only limitation was that their launch service ended at 8:00 PM and it's a bit of a hike n bus and subway to get into Manhattan. We had guests fly out of LGA and they took a taxi for about $50. There's some pretty good restaurants on city Island. Beware the City Island Market though, as we got our debit card compromised there. It was the only place that we and our guests used our credit/debit cards at the same place and within two days charges started showing up in California on our debit card and their credit card. Despite reporting to the credit card companies that we could positively identify the business that had compromised these cards they could have cared less. Same with the NYPD.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 07:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinplaces View Post
Y'all are giving awesome advice. Any suggestions as we go up the Hudson? We'd like to stop at West Point and Culinary Inst. our son went to USMA and wants to revisit. Has anyone done that by boat? We have a good dinghy.
I sail that part of the Hudson... A couple of things you should know. A new Tappan Zee Bridge is being built and there is a boating ban one mile north and south of it (you'll see all the barges). You must go under the bridge through the center span of the channel only (very easy to spot, it is the highest part of the bridge).
Time your run and you can have a favorable current most of the way up to this area. Not many places to anchor as the river is narrowish until the Piermont area (just south of the bridge ban west side).
Just north of the bridge is the Nyack mooring area. You can anchor north or south of it, south is close to the construction area, north will have less traffic and nicer views. Further north are more marinas and quite a few places to anchor. You can anchor anywhere outside of the channel which is clearly marked. Keep and eye out for big ships and barges as the channel crosses the river (east to west side) at Hook Mountain.
Really a very easy trip.
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 08:20   #27

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

You or your son can contact the dockmaster at West Point 914 938 3011, but my
understanding is in recent years no transient boats allowed. There is a ferry across the river from Garrison that is strictly controlled and doubtful, but you can inquire with dockmaster about alum access.
Check out access from Highland Falls Marina 914 213 9672, can walk to WP.
Cold Spring on east side about a mile north of WP is very nice
town right on the river and Cold Spring Boat Club should have free day time dock space.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 09:18   #28

Lincoln Harbor Marina
On the New Jersey side of Manhattan ( around 42nd street)
Ferry service across then free buses all over Manhattan
As others have said
1. Strong current in Hudson pay attention to tides
2. Major issues around Tappan Zee bridge construction
There have been numerous accidents and a fatality
Some of the construction barges are completely unlit
Pass this area with extreme caution
3. Tons of Barge traffic

It's a fantastic and beautiful cruise
Have Fun, Be Safe
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 10:10   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
You or your son can contact the dockmaster at West Point 914 938 3011, but my
understanding is in recent years no transient boats allowed. There is a ferry across the river from Garrison that is strictly controlled and doubtful, but you can inquire with dockmaster about alum access.
Check out access from Highland Falls Marina 914 213 9672, can walk to WP.
Cold Spring on east side about a mile north of WP is very nice
town right on the river and Cold Spring Boat Club should have free day time dock space.
Thanks for this info and for including phone numbers! We had heard about ban and will check it out.
Old 30-04-2015, 12:49   #30
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Mark, when do you plan on departing NYC? Julie and I hope to be at 79th St. Basin in late September?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, nyc