Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2014, 04:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Circumnavigation via Cape Horn

I completed my Atlantic trip in 2011 and since then the Oceans are calling me back.. So I now have another plan (or rather a dream..) ; circumnavigate but out of traditional way. The reasons for ruling out this option are;

-lighter winds, more time needed
-the hussles in Panama canal
-the crime / safety / piracy issues along the way (Venezuella, Panama, Malakka strait, and obviously Gulf of Aden)

I am working on two routes;

-West to East :Las Palmas, Brazil, down until we hit the easterlies, then cross to Cape Town, Perth, south of Australia, Wellington, Cape Horn (probably via Magellan strait) back to Gibraltar by cutting the westerly trades as much as possible.
-East to West : Las Palmas, Brazil, Cape Horn, up the Chiliean cost with with south easerly trades, then pick up the easterlies at S 15-20 and proceed west, North of Australia, Cape Town, back to Gibraltar.

I know I will be missing a lot of sight seeing and it will be rushed; that's fine.

I will be on a catamaran and I am looking for the one capable of going upwind, solid and seaworthy yet comfortable, min. 50 ft, prepared for Offshore sailing in every respect (electronic, communication,mechanical, rigging, heating, etc) One of the candidates is 2002 Catana 582 that I had chance to sail.
The biggest issue will be the crew as it was during my last trip..
My wife can only do some easy step of this trip and I need at least two other competent crews, noot easy..

I have done some home work but will appreciate yr views particularly of those who made part of these routes.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation