Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 11:37   #1

Boat: Tanger, Cascade 29'
Owner Backing Out

I have kind of a confusing situation and am having a hard time thinking of how to proceed.
I talked to the owner a vessel down in the Florida Keys and we made an agreement that I would make payments until it was paid off. The owner told be that he would write up a contract/bill-of-sale so that we were protected and after making a few payments I still had not recieved it. When I told him that I would not make any more payments until a bill of sale arrived, he became irrate. He told me to get my belongings and get off the vessel until I made more payments. He also threatened to call law enforcement if he heard that I went back to my vessel and have me charged with a felony for grand theft.
As it sits I am stuck between a rock and a hard place because I want the boat but am not going to lose a bunch of money because I have no guarantee of getting the title. Is there any way for me to get my money back or to force him to send me a bill of sale? What are my options on how to handle the situation? I have sent a lot of money to the guy and don't want to lose it. It seems that he must have commited some crime here but I don't know how to pursue it. The other problem is that he lives in California so this is a cross-country deal.
Somebody please help me because this is not how things were supposed to go down.
Montana Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Owner Backing Out

This was all verbal, and I bet with no reliable witnesses?
I really don't know about witnesses, but anything verbal is on the word of a Gentleman, and if said Gentleman isn't good for his word, you just learned what I hope isn't a too expensive lesson.

Note, I'm no lawyer, only one can answer your question, go see one, I bet it may not be too expensive for just their advice

On edit, I don't think it is your vessel either, so I would be very careful going back
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:48   #3

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Without a contract, your options are going to be very limited. Obviously, your big mistake was making any payment at all without a contract. He can say that the payments he's received so far were merely rent on your occupancy. See a lawyer.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:49   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Considering it is a 5 minute job for him to give you a Bill of Sale, the fact that he won't means he is either A) trying to screw you or B) trying to hose you. Both options end with you taking him to small claims court if he won't provide the paperwork.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:56   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Do you have Amy sort of email exchange as proof? If not you are S.O.L

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:57   #6

You've got to be kidding me....? ithout a bill of sale or contract you just rented a boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:02   #7

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Little confused why you didn't get a bill of sale with balance due prior to your first payment and certainly before your second.

If you choose to make another payment you might put "4th purchase payment - balance due $XXX" at the bottom of your check. I'm not a lawyer but if he endorses and cashes the check at least you've got a mutually signed record of sorts. Since he lives in a different state I don't know how you proceed if he refuses to give you the title after all your payments are made.

Sounds like this may be one of those live and learn situations.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:03   #8

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

As advised already, see what proof you have about the transaction. Print emails, and phone records showing calls back and forth. If you have ways to track the payments, (bank statements?), you may be able to take everything and try going to Small Claims court to recover the money you lost.

Like mentioned before, get a lawyer and take what evidence you can with you to show the lawyer to see if you have a valid case.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 13:00   #9

Boat: Freedom 38

You've been hosed....not the first time people have gotten snookered in Florida from verbal agreements. Perhaps you can tell him you've moved off the boat and then just live in it free till you feel like you got your money back. But don't trash the boat or open the seacocks in revenge. Leave it in good condition and take pictures/keep record of everything this time.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 13:15   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Why would an owner give the renter a bill of sale. This is essentially a contract for deed and should be spelled out in a written contract with terms, where the payments are going, and when and under what conditions the title will transfer.

This could be a case of the owner seeing a way to get some quick money or the seller pissing off the owner when he demands title for something he hasn't paid for.

At the least, the buyer and seller need to get together and write down what they agree to and then get an attorney to write up a formal agreement based on that.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 13:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Kid View Post
Somebody please help me because this is not how things were supposed to go down.
I think many of us may have read the OP too quickly.

It sounds like Peter is right.

It's simpler than I originally thought.

The OP and owner agreed to payments over time. The OP asked the owner for what essentially would be a complete payment, i.e., bill of sale, but the payments aren't complete. No wonder the owner was irate (confused perhaps?).

How were things supposed to go down?

You want the boat and can stay on it. He wants his money.

What's so hard?

Follow Peter's advice, put it in writing and move on.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 13:36   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I've executed several "Bill of Sales" that specified payment terms with the Title transferrring upon the last payment. No drama...but if you don't have anything in writing...well....you are just renting with the "rent to Own" part....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 13:49   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A totally verbal interstate sales contract with no proof of anything?

Montana, I hate to say it but I think you're screwed and all you can do is cut your losses.

The good news is that in Florida it is damned hard to evict a tenant, so it might be worth the price of a consultation with a local attorney (in Florida) to see just what you can or can't do. If you can assert status as a "tenant", you might be able to screw the owner back so hard he'll complete the sale as agreed.

But either consult a local attorney, or cut your losses and leave now.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 14:04   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Best advice so far I think is to consult an attorney. You really need a contract. I'd hope you agreed on terms verbally, so having you write up the contract really shouldn't be a problem, so you could do that and include it with your next payment and let him know before the next payment is sent, you'll need that sent back.

Also as stated, if you did any communication over email, that could be used to prove a good faith contract was in place. I'm no lawyer though, which is why you should seek the advice of one.

Sending in the next payment with details in the comment as suggested wouldn't hurt either - as far as him "kicking" you off the boat, as others have suggested, that's not so easy as you have made payments and can at least show there was some sort of agreement in place as he did cash those payments, he can't just evict you that easily.

If you do decide to remain, get copies of your checks - if he did send anyone over to evict you, you could show you were renting and were withholding latest payment until you got an agreement in place.

Again - seek out a lawyer though- an hour or two of their time may be very well worth it in the long run and even the short term.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 14:10   #15

The owner wanted to "kick him off the boat" 'cuz he was essentially asking for the title before he finished his payments.

Peter's still right.

KISS
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote