Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 00:46   #1

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter
Curiosity killed a cat or something...

I've spent some time watching the videos of SV Dalos and La Vagabonde. Then I realised that there's people giving them money per video - doesn't take a genius to work out that it's not an insignificant amount. While I get that they spend an enormous amount of time shooting and producing video (they are still working for their money, and very much so too), they are also giving it away for free.

What I'm curious about is, WHY do people give them money?

Do not get me wrong, I don't begrudge them anything, in fact I think it's great that they can do what they do and how they do it. I'm just more curious, as I can imagine everybody on this forum sailing around is spending all their money on their own provisions. Also wondering if anybody know where their patrons are coming from, can't be cruisers by my logic.

Also if this is a redundant question, ignore it.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 01:14   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Curiosity killed a cat or something...

'cos the chicks are hot lol!

My wife has been donating to White Spot Pirates for a while. I think it's a kindred association thing she has or something.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 04:13   #3

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Well, the most important activity on a boat is burning money, so I guess it makes all those people not cruising yet feel like they are cruising already!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 04:31   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

There is a growth in people using Patreon and I have sent money in the past to one or two youtubers. But, as there is a large growth in Patreon tubers, I am kinda over it unless the videos are actually educational rather than biographical.
There are a couple of fairly new cruisers (who shall remain nameless) who ask for Patreon support and I see no reason to send them money to hear about shopping exploits or noob attempts to educate viewers on legalities. To learn colregs I would rather watch experts than noobs trying to be experts. That said, I am sure there are others who are happy to pay them a few dollars here n there.
So unless there is something for me, other than entertainment, I dont send money.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 05:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Curiosity killed a cat or something...

Personally I do not watch anyone's video's.. unless its in relation to a Thread I happen to be following and is subjective.. few are so I pass.
Mind.. I would do UTube etc if I had any talent but as my brief sally as the Web's new Sailing Chef showed..
I'm Crap..!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 05:18   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I wouldn't touch that line with a ten foot boat hook.
Old 17-01-2016, 07:05   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Eben, my thoughts on who and why.
When was about 8 yo my parents owned a news agency. I would always look foreword to the time of month the new mad comics, cruising helmsman, Australian sailing, trade a boat and trading post etc would hit the shelves. We lived upstairs, so after dinner I'd borrow a pack of fruit tingles from behind the counter, sit on the magazine stand and read them all cover to cover. Cruising helmsman was a favourite. Exciting stories of navigating by the stars, provisioning for months at a time in exotic lands, stories of repairs and overcoming adversities. Real life adventure stuff! I soon realised that those adventurers were financing their travels in any way they could. Some stopped to work along the way, some wrote books, most wrote about their adventures and sent a few snaps off to some magazines in the hope they would use their story and make a few hundred dollars. I would guess the time between the actual adventure, writing it, sending off the 35mm film, and mailing from some remote location with the hope it might be published, and then receiving a cheque, might be several months. I've always respected the tenacity of those sailors, and also those before the magazines that simply wrote books about their adventures, as they were a source of wonder and awe for myself and others with similar dreams.
Well the world has changed a lot since I was a kid, newsagency have pretty much disappeared, printed media is dying a slow death with the advent of online magazines and newspapers, YouTube, Facebook, blogs etc. Theres more than enough information online to keep any small boy or adult from needing to buy the latest cruising helmsman to get their fix of adventure. The downside is that those magazines are dying, along with the workers and writers that have been making and selling them. Most are now full of useless advertising in an attempt to keep them financially viable. I'm sure some sailors are still submitting articles to them in the hope of making a few dollars for the cruising kitty, and probably a lot easier these days with digital pics and email, but let's face it, social media is more the future than print.
So what's a savvy sailor to do? One option is to work hard, retire and sail with limited funds for as long as possible. Another is to save enough for the boat and go now and figure it out along the way, making and saving money to pay for the next leg of the journey wherever possible. Those are generally the more interesting adventures to read for me. In the vein of Joshua Slocum. Sailing off without any money, sending some writings of his adventures home to the newspaper in the hope of raising a few dollars, accepting the kindness of strangers and new friends to continue his travels. For sure if Slocum dropped his anchor in front of my home and rowed ashore, I'd invite him to dinner, show him around, help him provision and at least give him a sack of potatoes to get him to the next port.
Anyway, my point is that times have changed, and the adventurous travellers are adapting to those changes as they need to. Those that are supporting them in their travels are also adapting in the way they show their support. Who are those supporters? I guess mostly people that have also adapted to how they get their inspirations, dreams and interests filled. People that understand that supporting an independent artist might help to ensure they can produce more art, wether it be music or visual to continue to feed their dreams as well as to support someone else's dreams that they admire.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 07:20   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Curiosity killed a cat or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Eben, my thoughts on who and why.
When was about 8 yo my parents owned a news agency. I would always look foreword to the time of month the new mad comics, cruising helmsman, Australian sailing, trade a boat and trading post etc would hit the shelves. We lived upstairs, so after dinner I'd borrow a pack of fruit tingles from behind the counter, sit on the magazine stand and read them all cover to cover. Cruising helmsman was a favourite. Exciting stories of navigating by the stars, provisioning for months at a time in exotic lands, stories of repairs and overcoming adversities. Real life adventure stuff! I soon realised that those adventurers were financing their travels in any way they could. Some stopped to work along the way, some wrote books, most wrote about their adventures and sent a few snaps off to some magazines in the hope they would use their story and make a few hundred dollars. I would guess the time between the actual adventure, writing it, sending off the 35mm film, and mailing from some remote location with the hope it might be published, and then receiving a cheque, might be several months. I've always respected the tenacity of those sailors, and also those before the magazines that simply wrote books about their adventures, as they were a source of wonder and awe for myself and others with similar dreams.
Well the world has changed a lot since I was a kid, newsagency have pretty much disappeared, printed media is dying a slow death with the advent of online magazines and newspapers, YouTube, Facebook, blogs etc. Theres more than enough information online to keep any small boy or adult from needing to buy the latest cruising helmsman to get their fix of adventure. The downside is that those magazines are dying, along with the workers and writers that have been making and selling them. Most are now full of useless advertising in an attempt to keep them financially viable. I'm sure some sailors are still submitting articles to them in the hope of making a few dollars for the cruising kitty, and probably a lot easier these days with digital pics and email, but let's face it, social media is more the future than print.
So what's a savvy sailor to do? One option is to work hard, retire and sail with limited funds for as long as possible. Another is to save enough for the boat and go now and figure it out along the way, making and saving money to pay for the next leg of the journey wherever possible. Those are generally the more interesting adventures to read for me. In the vein of Joshua Slocum. Sailing off without any money, sending some writings of his adventures home to the newspaper in the hope of raising a few dollars, accepting the kindness of strangers and new friends to continue his travels. For sure if Slocum dropped his anchor in front of my home and rowed ashore, I'd invite him to dinner, show him around, help him provision and at least give him a sack of potatoes to get him to the next port.
Anyway, my point is that times have changed, and the adventurous travellers are adapting to those changes as they need to. Those that are supporting them in their travels are also adapting in the way they show their support. Who are those supporters? I guess mostly people that have also adapted to how they get their inspirations, dreams and interests filled. People that understand that supporting an independent artist might help to ensure they can produce more art, wether it be music or visual to continue to feed their dreams as well as to support someone else's dreams that they admire.
Nicely put and spot on Monte..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 07:23   #9

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Personally I do not watch anyone's video's.. unless its in relation to a Thread I happen to be following and is subjective.. few are so I pass.
Mind.. I would do UTube etc if I had any talent but as my brief sally as the Web's new Sailing Chef showed..
I'm Crap..!!
I seem to recall a video with some swinging bolos or something like that. Involving budgie smugglers? Anyway, I think people would pay to watch that.

Other people that is.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 07:40   #10

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Really an excellent assessment Monte. I have watched a few of La Vagabondes videos and i think they are doing a good job and getting better all the time. I have seen a lot of very nasty stuff written about them over on cruising anarchy by people who havnt even taken the time to read their bios. If they did they would realize that these two are not some rich kids but have worked hard to get where they are and while they were noobs when they started they now have many thousands of miles and an atlantic crossing behind them and now are a lot more experienced than many of those sitting behind their keyboards spewing bile.
They actually have some useful videos that folks can learn from and i have in fact thought of giving a modest amount although I'm not so sure id be watching if she wasn't so hot, probably not.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 07:57   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I seem to recall a video with some swinging bolos or something like that. Involving budgie smugglers? Anyway, I think people would pay to watch that.

Other people that is.

goat
There are some things that cannot be "unseen"...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:25   #12

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
There are some things that cannot be "unseen"...

https://www.facebook.com/boatman.phi...668542/?type=2
Old 17-01-2016, 08:32   #13
cruiser

the vagabonds VIDEOED themselves STEALING from an overturned catamaran, including a mention of being asked to leave, presumably by the owner...

yeah. nice kids. Morally bankrupt
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:13   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Not again!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:19   #15

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
Don't click it, don't click it, don't click it, don't click it....
*click*
AAAAAAGGGGHHH!
I'm an idiot!
goat is offline   Reply With Quote