Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2018, 14:33   #16

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Best way to buy a boat in a foreign country?

The prevailing advise above is sound and is the best, safest route. I'd take that to the bank. But there are some folks who do what you propose. You don't know what you want in a boat, but I gather you're young and you'd probably do fine with any number of options (or lack thereof). Without knowing you personally, it's hard to say what's what.

One example, this guy bought a boat down island, no experience and sight unseen, and is making it work: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQn...T8_TyJMswv6Ehg

It's a gamble. But as Doug said, that's life.

You said you wished you knew more about what you need to know. There's no substitute for experience, but you can get a leg up by reading and researching the hell out of the cruising life. There's a ton of material out there. One such book is "How to Sail Around the World" by Hal Roth. And of course, tons of Youtube channels, some of which are worth watching.

Good luck! You don't have to have a lot of experience before setting off, but mistakes will be made and you do have to be prudent about where and when you make them. Small steps out of the comfort zone.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 15:05   #17

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Check out Thailand and Malaysia, look for something around 30-32ft range, not the great deal for a 45fter, many boats arrive and the dream dies so often well rigged boats sell cheap, you just have to put in the effort looking........
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 15:13   #18

Boat: Nonsuch 30

If you decide to look on the Great Lakes be sure to look at boats in the US. It has been my experience that they are better equipped than those on the Canadian side. You don't need to pay anything to the Canadian government until you physically import the boat. Your cruising permit is for 12 months but if the boat is on the hard the clock stops on the CP - not all American officials know this so they might need to check with higher ups. I would plan for the first year cruise to be down the ICW to Florida and then across to the Bahamas. This is much easier to do than heading to the Caribbean either eastern or western.

You might also consider using a buyer's broker. You don't pay for this. The commission paid by the seller is split like with a house. A good broker (there are some) would help you narrow down your choices to something that makes sense for your needs and budget. BTW, we have bought two boats in the US and never felt drawn to Florida. The sun and year-round use means that boats there are 'older' than their years. We bought one boat (a 45' serious cruiser) in Rhode Island and the other (36' less serious but newer cruiser) on the New York side of Lake Ontario.
Old 22-09-2018, 15:31   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Most municipalities in the US have laws against sleeping or camping in cars unless you are at a campground.

I bought my 34' tri for $25K and it needed nothing so it can be done. It wasn't fully equipped (whatever that means) but everything that was there was in really good shape. I say go for it while your still young.
Old 22-09-2018, 15:32   #20

Boat: Grainger 40

Hi If you are an international teacher based in malaysia, could I recommend spending some time in Puerto Galera in the Philippines. Great little yacht club with a 30 Foot yacht that is very cheap to hire to get your skills up,cheap cost of living, many experienced sailors who would be happy to sail with you if you shouted them a few rounds at the end of the day. from time to time there are some good buys on the PGYC website.
paultux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 15:36   #21
Marine Service Provider

Go for it ! Dont look back or take no for an anaswer.
svninkasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 16:47   #22

Boat: Volkscruiser

Just do it.
22 years ago the when I was 21 the wife and I flew from Oz to Toronto with a 10k budget to find a yacht and go cruising. We hired a car and started looking. We stayed in the cheapest motels we could find and ended up in Midland with a Whitby folkboat for 5k. We then did two seasons of cruising the Great Lakes and sold her for 5k. Best time of our life and completely overwhelmed with Canadian hospitality.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 19:09   #23

We are Canadian and bought in Florida. Cannot register in Canada until it crosses into. We took our boat to Mexico 16 % tax. Finally got best advice ever register in Delaware no tax. Good luck
BernBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 19:25   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernBruce View Post
We are Canadian and bought in Florida. Cannot register in Canada until it crosses into. We took our boat to Mexico 16 % tax. Finally got best advice ever register in Delaware no tax. Good luck
Not true. I am a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer and have handled the registrations of two Lagoon catamarans currently in France in the past week
Old 22-09-2018, 23:43   #25

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernBruce View Post
Have a British boat I flagged over to Canada, I bought in Europe, now in Chile........as long as I don't enter Canada I carry the Canadain flag with pride and no taxes to pay......
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 21:49   #26

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Look for a C&C 29 or C&C 32. Those boats were built in Canada in the late 70s and early 80s and would be excellent choices!
Good luck with your dream! Do it!
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 06:09   #27

Haha I probably do need to slow down.

I've read most of Don Casey's books. If you can think or anything else that's a must read, link it. Please!

I'm finding that my brain can only so much knowledge. How does an amateur remember the 100+ major inspection points in the sailboat? Do you just make a massive list and take it to each boat?
SaltedEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 06:48   #28

Thanks again for the advice.

I am willing to move to another country to make this happen. I once moved to Turkey with nothing but a passport and a credit card. Within two weeks I had a rental agreement and full time teaching gig. But, I also was in the red for a long time trying to pay off my credit card. My biggest fear is that my money will dry up before I leave the dock.

That being said, I subscribe to the go small go now ethos. But, where do I go to make that happen? It seems like good deals are all over the Caribbean but flying too far from home to look at two/three boats seems super risky.

Also, so many sailboats look similar. If a sailboat has been properly maintained and it is in good condition (surveyor says). If the builder has a good reputation and the sailboat has nice design ratios. Add in a few things this amateur deems necessary, shouldn't I just pull the trigger instead of waiting for the perfect boat?
SaltedEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 07:47   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltedEgg View Post
...That being said, I subscribe to the go small go now ethos. But, where do I go to make that happen? It seems like good deals are all over the Caribbean but flying too far from home to look at two/three boats seems super risky.

Also, so many sailboats look similar. If a sailboat has been properly maintained and it is in good condition (surveyor says). If the builder has a good reputation and the sailboat has nice design ratios. Add in a few things this amateur deems necessary, shouldn't I just pull the trigger instead of waiting for the perfect boat?
Surveys are not cheap. My last one ran ~$18/ft. This is why most people do their own pre-survey of any possible boat before calling in the expensive professional. And as the many threads here will attest, a clean survey doesn’t always mean there are no major problems with a boat.

As people have said, there are great deals to be had in the Great Lakes area. Since you have free rent there, why is this not your best place to begin?
Old 24-09-2018, 08:02   #30

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltedEgg View Post
...My plan is to book a flight to Florida, rent a car, and possibly live in the car while I'm looking at used sailboats...
This plan needs some more work.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat