Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 07:55   #1

Boat: Gozzard 36
Owner dies while boat is in a foreign country?

As many of us cruisers are getting long in the tooth and we WILL eventually die and as good competent sailors we all believe in proper planning and preparation, here's the question:

Assuming that a boat has been temporarily imported into a country (specifically Mexico) registered in the boat owner's name and he dies not at sea but peacefully in bed (hopefully with a smile on his face) and he has a Will in his home country appointing his Spouse as executor and sole beneficiary (of course, we all of us DO have Wills don't we), how does the Spouse go about getting or showing that she has the legal authority to get the boat out of the country, sell it or otherwise deal with it.

The problem is of course that for Mexican or import purposes the boat will still be registered in the name of the deceased but the spouse/estate/executor will likely have changed the registration of the boat into the name of the executor or beneficiary

.......and does Mexico extract any percent,fees etc on "approving/certifying " a transfer of the deceased's property that is in Mexico (a combination of the inevitable 'death and taxes')

And a last, related question, any suggestions on what can the boat owner do in advance, (while he is still alive) to make it easier for his estate or spouse to be able to deal with the boat after his death?

I am particularly interested where the boat is imported into Mexico under a TIPP.

Has anyone had any experience on this (assuming of course that you are not the deceased, in which case I do not expect an answer)

Hopefully the answer is NOT that you need to probate your Will in Mexico or prepare a second "Mexican" Will.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (PS: I'm not about to die.....I think, .....)
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 14:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Owner dies while boat is in a foreign country?

Several similar threads. General agreement is that when travelling overseas, you should always have a notarized document on board which states that in the case of death, the surviving partner is appointed master of the vessel etc and has authority to do whatever is required.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 14:46   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to wsfenix2002
Re: Owner dies while boat is in a foreign country?

Hi,
Situation that I decided my boat belongs to a Company in which I and wife are partners. Either have total authority over the property.(I swear I'll never die)

Wanderley
wsfenix2002 is offline   Reply With Quote