Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 16-03-2022, 18:40   #841

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Pretty much nothing, I raced a Hobie 16 for years and can attest that other than basic sailing skills, nothing from that boat transfers to my full sized cruising cat. Just as well, the Hobie 16 loves to pitch pole.

Thinking about it a bit more, I guess you just didn't race enough or maybe it was you simply didn't learn what there was to learn right before your eyes due to lack of knowledge.

Just the difference between an old and new Hobie 16 can teach you a lot if nothing else the newer sails allow the boat to point a bit better.

Then as you advance, you learn to adjust the amount of weather helm you want by adjusting mast rake and rudder rake.

You learn rudder alignment adjustment.

You learn how daggerboards can improve pointing

You learn to depower the sails with mast over rotation or de-rotation plus flatten sails with batten selection, mast prebend and sheeting. I've seen guys adjust mast prebend (diamond wire tension) between races.

The above are important since there is no reefing in beach cat racing.

Also as you move up in boats, you learn about low and high aspect sails, daggerboards, and rudders.

Even the downhaul adjustment can help depower by flattening the main more.

On the newer beach cats, you can adjust sheeting, traveler, downhaul, and mast rotation from the trapeze.

Also on the newer designs the hulls are narrow forward without the flat covering like a Hobie 16 so you can bury a hull without pitchpoling.

Then there's sailing with the spinnaker up. You learn to sail the curve in the luff and also how to move the traveler of the main for more maneuverability with the spinnaker up. Then there's getting the spinnaker down ...back in the sock so you can turn and head back upwind

You can also learn about fiberglass repairs. I've been hit a few times on the starting line and you can hit a bridge every now and then. Sometimes it's tough to sail under a bridge going upwind so bad things can happen

With the racing you learn about currents and how they can slow you down especially in deeper water. You learn land effects on the wind.

These are just a few of the things you can learn racing beach cats. There are so many things when you look closely how it can help you be a better sailor and cruiser

One of the best things though is learning to sail in all situations without an engine.

It's all up to you are you can claim it doesn't help you as a cruiser at all and continue motoring around not knowing all you can do with your sails and associated equipment and the adjustments available on a sailboat
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 00:08   #842

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Thinking about it a bit more, I guess you just didn't race enough or maybe it was you simply didn't learn what there was to learn right before your eyes due to lack of knowledge.

Just the difference between an old and new Hobie 16 can teach you a lot if nothing else the newer sails allow the boat to point a bit better.

Then as you advance, you learn to adjust the amount of weather helm you want by adjusting mast rake and rudder rake.

You learn rudder alignment adjustment.

You learn how daggerboards can improve pointing

You learn to depower the sails with mast over rotation or de-rotation plus flatten sails with batten selection, mast prebend and sheeting. I've seen guys adjust mast prebend (diamond wire tension) between races.

The above are important since there is no reefing in beach cat racing.

Also as you move up in boats, you learn about low and high aspect sails, daggerboards, and rudders.

Even the downhaul adjustment can help depower by flattening the main more.

On the newer beach cats, you can adjust sheeting, traveler, downhaul, and mast rotation from the trapeze.

Also on the newer designs the hulls are narrow forward without the flat covering like a Hobie 16 so you can bury a hull without pitchpoling.

Then there's sailing with the spinnaker up. You learn to sail the curve in the luff and also how to move the traveler of the main for more maneuverability with the spinnaker up. Then there's getting the spinnaker down ...back in the sock so you can turn and head back upwind

You can also learn about fiberglass repairs. I've been hit a few times on the starting line and you can hit a bridge every now and then. Sometimes it's tough to sail under a bridge going upwind so bad things can happen

With the racing you learn about currents and how they can slow you down especially in deeper water. You learn land effects on the wind.

These are just a few of the things you can learn racing beach cats. There are so many things when you look closely how it can help you be a better sailor and cruiser

One of the best things though is learning to sail in all situations without an engine.

It's all up to you are you can claim it doesn't help you as a cruiser at all and continue motoring around not knowing all you can do with your sails and associated equipment and the adjustments available on a sailboat

You’re an i***t making the assertions that you do. I feel like I’m engaging a troll with the way that you just return to bloviating about your beach cat racing. The skills you mention are transferable, but surely even you understand that sailing technique is a very small part of live aboard cruising.

And thank you very much, we sail heaps and quite well too, despite not having a rotating mast and not having sailed a Nacra with a spinnaker. My own racing and cruising resume spans 50 years and nobody that has met me thinks that I’m ignorant about sailing and seamanship. I’m well aware that there is more to learn and I’m not an old dog yet.

- new sails are faster: no sh*t Sherlock
- mast rake and rudder rake: not applicable (NA)
- rudder alignment: yup
- daggerboards: got ‘em, use ‘em, not pointing but leeway but close enough
- downhaul: not needed with fibre sails
- trapeze: NA
- burying a hull: NA
- spinnaker trim and handling: yup, though we mostly use a furling gennaker rather than the symmetric spinnaker with a sock
- adjust the main traveller/sheet to work with a headsail/spinnaker: no sh*t Sherlock
- fibreglass repairs: no foam core in the Hobies and Lasers and 18 Foot skiffs I raced, but OK
- hitting bridges: NA
- currents and land effects: yup, though of course 10+ miles offshore land effects generally don’t apply
- learning to sail without an engine in all conditions: NA. There’s a vast difference between a several hundred pound dinghy and an 11 ton cruising boat, particularly inertia. But cruising doesn’t mean motoring all the time

You’re not retired and you’re 70, so presumably you don’t have any regrets about retiring early (before 65). Why are you participating in this thread?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 03:26   #843

Quote:
You’re an i***t making the assertions that you do.

You’re not retired and you’re 70,
It seems like every time I show one of you fellows what you can't see for yourselves you resort to name calling as if you were still out on the playground.

You said you learned nothing sailing a beach cat, and I simply pointed out all the things that were there available for you to learn but didn't.

I need to add backing up. I used to back my beach cat up when I got too close to the cross (OCS) of the start/finish line. I didn't want to get an over early (OCS) penalty.

Another thing you can learn on beach cats is steering the boat with sails only when you have the rudders up sometimes to cross shallow water or a sandbar on the way in to the beach,

As far as retirement, I said I may retire before I'm 70. Where I am now my boat is between home and work . Work is about 7 miles away.

So I usually get to work on the boat or at least hang out at the boat every day.

I'll soon be painting the settee area I replaced

And as to retiring early in your 60's, that will work for me because I have been sailing/racing sailboats/power boat owner for the past 50 years. I won't be some beginner which we see here all the time at an advance age

Sure there will be some things I need to learn but that will be welcomed

In the mean time I'm trying to stay health and get my 3 mile run time down to a decent time plus keep doing 20-25 push ups before the run and 5-8 pull ups. Covid slowed me down a bit but I think I'm clear of it now

Plus the gyms have again opened up for a weight workout once or twice a week.
Old 17-03-2022, 03:57   #844
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Why are you participating in this thread?
because people keep "feeding" him
Old 17-03-2022, 04:09   #845

I’m planning on working less as I’m 50 this year. I’ve travelled the world extensively, flying overseas once every 6 weeks for about 2 weeks at a time. I’ve been doing this for almost 20 years. What the pandemic taught me was the extensive amount of business travel was probably not necessary. It was tiring, you travel on the weekends to get to your destination which you don’t really enjoy as you’re at work, it screws with your sleep when you suffer from jet lag, etc. I intend to purchase a boat and go sailing with my wife, not have to subject myself to all this unnecessary stress. Just have to think about how to earn an income while I’m doing this!
Dave Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 04:15   #846

Quote:
Why are you participating in this thread?
Early on I was trying to show that retiring early can be a bad idea for some.

And of course that upset some folks and it went from there.

They thought they had to attack me for bring up and idea that didn't agree with their own. Same as above and on many other threads.

My sister and her husband retired when she was 45. He was older.

They went to the Bahamas on his then 35' power yacht.

She got bored with it after about a month he continued for the next 20 years or so but after the first few years said how he would like to return to work at the bank.

He was vice-president there and a real people person/politician.

he was too old by then though so he bought a 44' yacht and continued on with that boat at Man-O War Cay where he stayed in Winter then came back up here in the Spring and Summer.

My sister stayed alone at their country home maintaining the 2 acres or so of grass and other stuff.

There have been others also that I knew while in Pensacola that retired to the cruising life to only last a few months before coming back and buying another car, getting another job etc.

You even see it here with folks that have retired to not the cruising life but to living at a marina, at anchor, or on a Mooring in a warmer climate which seems somewhat like punishment to me.

We have marina liveaboards here that wait all day just for someone to come onto their dock so they can walk and talk with them whether that person wants to or not.

I'm always thinking why don't they go sailing or cruise to a new spot etc, etc
Old 17-03-2022, 10:04   #847

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
because people keep "feeding" him
Yes, they do.

Stop it.

Put that person on the ignore list like I did a long time ago. Stop quoting him so I don't have to see the conversation.

How to handle a Troll:
  • Stop replying to the Troll.
  • Put the troll on the ignore list by clicking on the user name.
  • Stop quoting the Troll.
It is easy.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 10:08   #848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smithers View Post
I’m planning on working less as I’m 50 this year. I’ve travelled the world extensively, flying overseas once every 6 weeks for about 2 weeks at a time. I’ve been doing this for almost 20 years. What the pandemic taught me was the extensive amount of business travel was probably not necessary. It was tiring, you travel on the weekends to get to your destination which you don’t really enjoy as you’re at work, it screws with your sleep when you suffer from jet lag, etc. I intend to purchase a boat and go sailing with my wife, not have to subject myself to all this unnecessary stress. Just have to think about how to earn an income while I’m doing this!
I do wonder if the pandemic's push to remote work for so many people AND the growing availability of fast, cheap Internet bandwidth, will allow more people to work from a boat. We finally got Starlink at our rural house and it has really improved Internet access. Once Starlink allows vehicle installations and turns of the geo locking it will make Internet access on boats very interesting.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 12:23   #849

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I do wonder if the pandemic's push to remote work for so many people AND the growing availability of fast, cheap Internet bandwidth, will allow more people to work from a boat. We finally got Starlink at our rural house and it has really improved Internet access. Once Starlink allows vehicle installations and turns of the geo locking it will make Internet access on boats very interesting.

Later,
Dan
Most people will still not be working from a boat.

It's just not a a good idea with all the possible distractions and unreliable internet.

People simply get this romantic idea that it would be great to work from a boat, but it's simply not. Only a few people can do it full time.

The internet at my country home is just now getting decent.

At work or my apartment in the city, it's much better. Dockside WiFi is hit or miss.

At anchor in the right spot, it's pretty good; in the wrong spot it's almost non-existent

When sailing, it depends on where and how close to land. (see video)

Internet even faded out during this video. (computer is an RPi4. Hotspot iphone 7)

Old 07-02-2024, 19:16   #850

Boat: Moody 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Just curious if there are any people out there in this camp with wisdom to provide:

- Retired 55 or earlier - meaning zero paid work, only living on investments
- Highly compensated in their profession (arbitrarily picking $250k or higher)
- Enjoyed their career, loved their work/people
- Substantial assets that allow for a comfortable life at sea
- Paid for boat, no other debt
- Meaning $100k or much greater budget that is not a stretch
- Means to transition back to land life no problem
- Ability to park the boat and take a 3 month break or greater
- Married happily with no underlying issues (basically extremely happy already)

We aren't planning on leaving in the next year or two, just enjoying life right now at what I'd call a very low stress pace. I do read about couples who've gone and failed, or worse yet end up divorced...I can't imagine that being us, but I would imagine most people were like that starting out.

So with that, anybody regret going, regret walking away from a gig that you enjoyed. Any marital tips for the cruisers to be?

Also, I understand this is the internet and people like to say shitty things, but I've interacted with some great people on this forum and legitimately looking for people who have blazed the trail before us and what they might be able to share.
I’m 43, retired, living on bitcoin, no real estate. The only regret I have is not going earlier! Selling the house and moving onto a boat is a high change and it’s a scary leap into the unknown. But, if you have spent time on a boat and you know it’s what you want to do, just do it!

Sailing isn’t necessarily for everyone. If you’ve not sailed or spent any amount of time on a boat, start small. Get a smaller boat(costs less) and spend a week or two onboard. Learn boat handling. Get comfortable saying “Honey, I’m sorry for what I said while we were docking the boat,” and mean it.

When anchoring, it’s all about how you look doing it. If you have all the hand signals worked out and both stay calm if you miss your ideal anchor drop and, are comfortable hauling the anchor back up and trying again, you’re doing it right. Remember, you love each other!

Spousal bickering is normal and I love to see it on the boat ramp. It’s second only to sibling rivalry.

And remember, you’re living on a yacht! Life could be so much worse!
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 19:51   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Most people will still not be working from a boat.

It's just not a a good idea with all the possible distractions and unreliable internet.

People simply get this romantic idea that it would be great to work from a boat, but it's simply not. Only a few people can do it full time.

The internet at my country home is just now getting decent.

At work or my apartment in the city, it's much better. Dockside WiFi is hit or miss.

At anchor in the right spot, it's pretty good; in the wrong spot it's almost non-existent

When sailing, it depends on where and how close to land. (see video)

Internet even faded out during this video. (computer is an RPi4. Hotspot iphone 7)

I realize this is an old post but....

Spent last summer in the RV in remote areas of Alaska and NW Canada (as in 50-75 miles from the nearest small town on several occasions)...No problem with internet. Watched netflix, made video calls, etc...from remote mountain tops. Check the coverage vs where you plan to cruise but starlink is a game changer for those who want to travel and work.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 20:28   #852

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Spent last summer in the RV in remote areas of Alaska and NW Canada (as in 50-75 miles from the nearest small town on several occasions)...No problem with internet. Watched netflix, made video calls, etc...from remote mountain tops. Check the coverage vs where you plan to cruise but starlink is a game changer for those who want to travel and work.
Oh no... I fear for what lies ahead now that this thread has been brought back and feeding has resumed.

That said, I second strongly (having worked full time as wanted/needed from a van for years and now having also done the same from the boat... both in VERY remote international locations).

Even IF this was the case at one point in history - it's certainly no longer the case with the addition of starlink to the cruisers' toolset.

We have quite literally spent the last year crossing the pacific and then anchored in uninhabited atolls that are among (if not THE) most remote locations on the planet (and have been connected through all of it).

For good or for bad (we would certainly log our vote toward good), poor connectivity is clearly no longer the problem/issues here.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 13:34   #853

Boat: Columbia,Sloop,27 ft.

G'day from Australia.
I am an newbe hear on this forum.
In regarding your qwestion i had to retiar early as i developed scoliosis an curve in the back. So i recive an disability pension. I am now 60 year old,living on an columbia 27. called SV Gemstar.I all so have an ytube channel, SV GEMSTAR. an intreset in photography. So i hope that helps.
I have been on
Tron Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 13:48   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

This is good to know because when I retire soon and possibly cruise a bit I would be quite disappointed if I couldn't receive a good signal so I could play chess online.

I like to have my coffee and play a few games on chess.com to get the old mind working first thing in the morning and many times last thing at night.....

As far as retiring early, most know my position on that.

There is no need to retire early if you live on the coast as far as enjoying sailing goes.
Old 17-02-2024, 13:50   #855

Re: Any early retirees turnerd cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Life can and does happen, we were one year into it and never got further than Vero Beach Fl. That was when we got the call that our Son had been run over and left for dead by a hit and run driver, who has yet to go to court, but that’s another story.
We spent I’d guess the next six months in rehab. And obviously incurred many unexpected expenses.

So I guess the point is no plan ever survives contact with the enemy or maybe Murphy has a vote to, so plan on it, maybe then it won’t happen.
Sad story, that was a tough nut to swallow. Good on you.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser