Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2016, 23:25   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Norseman parts needed

Imho, the Sta-Loks will serve you well. A bit nicer than Norseman. It's a brave decision to bite the bullet and do it now.

Ann
Old 15-07-2016, 03:06   #17

Boat: Allures 44

If it comes to changing to new type of compression fittings I believe that the Hayn (Petersen) Hi Mod are really good. One of their benefits are that the cones (and wire spacing crown) are fully re-usable. They also don't require sealant and are easier to use than Norseman.

I have Norseman on the rig and used Hi Mod for my lifelines, much prefer the Hi Mod.
Old 15-07-2016, 06:09   #18

Boat: Pearson 40

Quote: Thanks for the update, and the experience with re-use. I hope that I have a couple of years left before a total re-rig, and the new T-ball fittings from SeaRig will, of course, have their own cones included, so I'm covered for now (I think). By re-rig time, i hope your pal is in business.

Jim are you getting new T ball fittings? Sea Rig? makes them?

Norseman is the last that I know who made Tballs.
Old 15-07-2016, 06:17   #19

Boat: Pearson 40

Quote:
They also don't require sealant and are easier to use than Norseman.

I installed Hayn Hi Mod insulators on our back stay because they are deemed to be fail safe. Upon directions, I did not use sealant.

After about 6 months I looked at the lower connection and saw some small salt deposits around the wire entrance. I was concerned and decided to take the fitting apart and look inside. Sure enough, there was a lot of salt buildup, enough for me to take the fitting apart, clean it really well and apply sealant before reassembly.

I did not like the ends of the wires staying anaerobic in a very salt environment.

My 2c

Cheers
Old 15-07-2016, 07:14   #20

Boat: Liberty 458

I believe Norseman fittings are now only available as new old stock.

I guess they couldn't compete against StaLoks which perform slightly better in bench tests to failure. (of the wire)

I chose StaLoks for our recent full rig replacement based on an engineering tradeoff. It was a no brainer in terms of standard cable bteaking test performance.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-07-2016, 16:26   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverp40 View Post
Quote: Thanks for the update, and the experience with re-use. I hope that I have a couple of years left before a total re-rig, and the new T-ball fittings from SeaRig will, of course, have their own cones included, so I'm covered for now (I think). By re-rig time, i hope your pal is in business.

Jim are you getting new T ball fittings? Sea Rig? makes them?

Norseman is the last that I know who made Tballs.
Yep, have ordered new T-bll swageless fittings from SeaRig, via Arcus Wire here in NSW. No delivery date as yet, though. Apparently SeaRig does make them (I hope!) but for some reason they do not appear in their on line catalog. They do show T-Balls for rod rigging, and it is a simple thing to substitute a wire terminal for the rod terminal, so I suspect that is what is going on.

I'm hoping that the threaded T portion of the fitting is similar to that of the Norseman. If so, I'll be able to simply unscrew the cracked one and replace it with one from the new fitting, thus not loosing any wire length. Then when it is convenient (ha), I'll source some new wire and do the whole lot with new fittings. Perhaps by then the new Norseman cone source will be up and running and I will be able to re-use the lower terminals.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
parts