Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2008, 10:30   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Norseman Terminal, help!!!

I was trying to install a Norseman terminal but the threads began to gall and lock up. It's 9/32 wire, the proper cone, Norseman eye terminal. Already installed a stud on the other end without a problem.

What happens. Cone inserted the proper distance, fitting screwed together as far I coud by hand, at least two turns. Begin turning with wrench, very quickly after a turn or so,the threads begin to gall and freeze up. Got the first try apart and discovered the first two thread were completely wiped out. The second attempt is frozen solid. Only difference between first and second is I was able to turn on the 2nd one further, by hand, as the wires were partially formed around the cone from the first try. As soon as I realized something wasn't going right, I quit turning the eye on and tried to turn it off. Within a quarter turn the fitting began to progressively seize and had nearly frozen up by a half turn. The same results with both fittings, did not exert much pressure or try and force it on, they definitely weren't cross threaded. Stopped tightenig as soon as I realized something wasn't right. Fittings began to seize up immediately as I tried to undo the fitting. The wire and cone on the first looked perfect. The wire had begun to form evenly around the cone just like the pictures.

Can't figure out what is going wrong. I've done over 40 Norseman fittings without a problem, and had just installed a stud fitting on the other end with ease. Help, need a headstay to go sailing.
Aloha Peter O, Pearson 35 #108
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 11:25   #2

Boat: Catalina C250, SeaWolf
From the NavTec Website NAVTEC Rigging Solutions

Quote:
For turnbuckles with stainless steel screws in stainless bodies, a grease containing Molybdenum Disulfide should be used. A dry lubricant containing Molybdenum Disulfide can be used. At this time, we know of no lubricant which comes close to the effectiveness of Molybdenum Disulfide in preventing galling. Note that Molybdenum Disulfide is black and makes sails and hands black very effectively!
ajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 12:24   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Stalok recommends loctite to secure the fitting. They also say Loctite lubricates while assembling reducing the chance of galling. Previous poster was close, should have selected the answer to question 12 instead of 6 on his link.

Installing Sta-Lok ® Fittings

Don't know if that's the answer to your problem though.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 13:03   #4

I think you have to trash it.Its such a critically important part it has to perfect.You are suposed to fill those terminals with sealant and some of that on the thread should prevent gauling.But you say this happened on the first fit so I dont know what happened.But you say the first two threads wiped out?Sounds like cross threading rather than gauling.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote