Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 05:59   #16

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: What kind of entertainment do you have?

Watching mermaid traffic, HAM, marine and Air Traffic Control/Pireps communications. IPOD loaded with my favorite music. Towing a fishing line, just in case JAWS is hungry. A good Circuit Analysis (Electrical Engineering) college textbook to keep my brain sharp, during slow sailing days. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+2

A good reason to sail is to get away from all of that.

Great bulk of the entertainment on board our boat comes from sailing, the sea, swimming, cooking, good conversation, drinking, going ashore to explore, poring over charts and pilot books to plan the next adventure.

And of course boat repairs
Gotta agree with the above and with Kettlewell and Zeehag. I enjoy settling into the bunk at night with a good book, paper or on the Kindle. The rest of the day is filled up with staring/observing, swimming, repairing, thinking/working on new projects. Got a beat up "boom box" for playing an occasional CD, news and listening for lightning in the area on the AM side. Though the Internet is usually more informative and useful. MOVIES AND TV? Pah! I leave that for landlubbers who want to entertain themselves to death. Not the reason I spend time on the boat. But, that's just me.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:16   #18

Speakers for playing audio books while doing maintenance. Computers for info junk fix and occasional movie, iPads for books and magazines and info junk fix, radio. Weather station. Books. Dinghy. Snorkeling gear. Spearfishing gear. Bicycle. Moped. Kayak. Paddle board. If Santa drops a pile of money, kite surfing gear is next on the list
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:27   #19

Boat: hunter 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have the entire world around me to entertain me...especially folks who really do not know how to anchor...and dolphins and fishermen and ambient music from town....
i also have books and this damfool internetz...and music.
no-NO TV.
So glad to hear my anchoring skills (or lack thereof) provide you with so much amusement. The real show is me docking in a stiff cross wind...
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:35   #20

Is it like Fred Flintstones trying to land a bird-plane, by tossing an anchor overboard in the hope of catching something on the ground? Mauritz
Old 03-02-2013, 14:55   #21

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

ultimate entertainment are the Honda XR 250's stashed in the perfect place to explore the wilderness, (making a great addition to the exploring I do by boat).

Also enjoy audiobooks on the iPod (with one ear on the motor).

having Boaz the Boxer as my sailing buddy keeps me busy with walks.

he is always good for a laugh ...
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 16:45   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Kindle, simple tv which we seldom use, cribbage board and cards, and lots of simple tasks to fix! and a couple of larger jobs LOL, and the stuff we see everyday! birds, fish, Other boats, sunrise and sunset, clouds, never had a boreing day at sea yet !! had a couple I would love to forget !! but never boreing !! We have never had to find something to do aboard as yet !! Simple folks I guess you could say about us ??
Old 03-02-2013, 16:54   #23

Before calling it a night, and while at anchor near shoals...I would bait a couple of lines, then check them up in the morning. You never know what you'll have for dinner next day, with a little luck! (But officer, I was not aware that I couldn't fish here...besides, the fish followed me into the boat!) Mauritz
Old 03-02-2013, 18:00   #24

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Ipod full of tunes. and the computer where I spend too much time on boating forums and Active Captain, I also carry a few fishing rods.
My wife has TV and movies on DVD.
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:56   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

A ukulele which I play badly but funly. My laptop and LOTS of movies and tunes. 120GB ipod that doesn't get used much, in a tiny little stereo dock. New Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7" tablet which I an kinda liking. Internet, usually. Mostly I just sit in the cockpit and watch the world turn, grill a steak on the magma with a bourbon and coke or a glass of tawny port in my hand. Sometimes I break out the hookah and have a smoke with a bigass cappuccino. Mostly I fix stuff on the boat, though, or think about fixing something while I drink until I can stop thinking about it.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:54   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Mostly I fix stuff on the boat, though, or think about fixing something while I drink until I can stop thinking about it.
ROTFLMAO!!

You just described the two main activities on my boat, better than I could have! Hilarious, and painfully true.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:35   #27

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Has anyone tried sealing a cheap webcam(s) into a waterproof housing housing using one of those five meter signal boosting USB cables and displaying what is going on under the boat on a monitor? Likely this would work best in clear tropical water and at night one could use a light which might attract more interesting animals (a bit of chumming could also help). I often wonder what makes all of those unusual sounds that are so clear to hear. This might be even better than a DVD.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:35   #28

Boat: Bristol 34

We have a 19" TV, DVD / CD player, Ipod, stereo and laptop. We carry a few dozen books and collection of DVDs.

Cruising for months in the Bahamas we watched only one movie and never even tried to pick up a local TV signal, but read every book aboard and then traded for others. We listened to music often and local FM radio occasionally, but otherwise found most of the entertainment we needed in our natural surroundings.

When we found an internet connection there would be quick emails or Skype to friends and family - usually just to taunt them that "we were in paradise and they were not". We avoided the news like the plague, resulting in a much happier existence.

Now I will say that if I had an iota of musical talent I'd have an instrument aboard.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:01   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: What Kind of Entertainment do you Have?

I enjoy books and that same view of antics with boats maneuvering about and anchoring as Zeehag mentions. I'm easily to entertain. Sometimes I roll over at night and watch my ProStar regulator/battery monitor light cycle through it's checks.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:03   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
Has anyone tried sealing a cheap webcam(s) into a waterproof housing housing using one of those five meter signal boosting USB cables and displaying what is going on under the boat on a monitor? Likely this would work best in clear tropical water and at night one could use a light which might attract more interesting animals (a bit of chumming could also help). I often wonder what makes all of those unusual sounds that are so clear to hear. This might be even better than a DVD.
I've got an underwater camera on board with about 60 feet of cable. I have used it in my curosity to see what's happening on the bottom of the harbor at night. Lot's of activity going on there. Had a little tug of war with a crab to get it back up. Also set it up on the bow while riding out Hurricane Earl to keep an eye what was happening with the anchor rode while in the cabin.