Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 19:13   #106

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: What do you actually do While Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: We see. See what you might ask? Whatever there is to see. Many things for the first time or in a different light. The beauty of nature and the universe. The beauty of people in many different places. Their treasures. Each day a new visual adventure. I don't care how many sunrises and sunsets one has seen, the next one is always so beautiful to experience. We look deep into things we only saw superficially before. Sort of like a photographer looking through a lens. Focusing on things we might have otherwise missed. Never knowing what one will see today.

Actually it's all the senses. We hear things differently. We just experience whatever the day brings. Just the wind in my hair. The salt in the air. The gentle rain relieving the heat.
I want some of whatever you be smoking..............
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 19:48   #107

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Ok, What do I do while cruising? .... I guess it's time for me to "come out of the closet!" Not much pleases me more than to find a port with a skating rink. Yes, I'm addicted to the interface. Gliding on the interface is my "crack cocaine"! That's what sailing is, right? ...gliding on the interface. I had a team dance competition partner back in the '90's and we moved from 10th to 6th to 2nd in the national junior olympic team dance roller skating competition,--"for seniors". Yes,- most competition roller skaters are 13 years old!.. I just started in my forties! I was off skating tonight, trying to get my moves back. The floor is hard and as I get closer to 70 I know that I'll need to give it up before I give up sailing, but ...yes, That's one more thing I do while cruising. I look for ports with skating rinks!
Basketball and Tennis.

While we walk a lot, use the treadmill as well, after a bit of traveling we love to find a gym to play basketball or some tennis courts. Yes, we carry basketballs on board as well as tennis rackets and balls. There are few places we can't find the chance to play. As to ice skating, can only imagine what an experience as have never tried.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 19:49   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I want some of whatever you be smoking..............
Wifey B: Sending you some, virtually....enjoy
Old 06-08-2014, 06:26   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Basketball and Tennis.

While we walk a lot, use the treadmill as well, after a bit of traveling we love to find a gym to play basketball or some tennis courts. Yes, we carry basketballs on board as well as tennis rackets and balls. There are few places we can't find the chance to play. As to ice skating, can only imagine what an experience as have never tried.
This causes me to wonder how many of us, while out cruising, stow these bits of sports and entertainment equipment for these things to do while cruising. I'm always expecting the folding bikes, scuba or snorkeling gear, but basketballs, tennis rackets, golf clubs, etc? I have a bag with skates (roller not ice) under our main salon table. Nancie has a accordian in a case on the galley floor. Actually, Nancie also has a kalimba, dulcimer, diggeridoo, concertina, and more shelved in the main cabin.

I guess the question is not just what do you do while cruising, but what do you pack along to do this stuff?
Old 06-08-2014, 16:01   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
This causes me to wonder how many of us, while out cruising, stow these bits of sports and entertainment equipment for these things to do while cruising. I'm always expecting the folding bikes, scuba or snorkeling gear, but basketballs, tennis rackets, golf clubs, etc? I have a bag with skates (roller not ice) under our main salon table. Nancie has a accordian in a case on the galley floor. Actually, Nancie also has a kalimba, dulcimer, diggeridoo, concertina, and more shelved in the main cabin.

I guess the question is not just what do you do while cruising, but what do you pack along to do this stuff?
Ok, we also have a keyboard and backup music machine/karaoke unit with us on board.

I think it's funny that you carry the combination of music and sports equipment as we do.

We don't become different people cruising. It's just an extension of who we are and what we enjoy.
Old 06-08-2014, 16:22   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
.............. We don't become different people cruising. It's just an extension of who we are and what we enjoy.
This may best describe what we do while cruising!
Old 06-08-2014, 16:57   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd like to hear the digeridoo, are they hard to play, or at least make a noise from?
Anyone know where I can get a Conch shell with the end clipped off?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 17:48   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd like to hear the digeridoo, are they hard to play, or at least make a noise from?
Anyone know where I can get a Conch shell with the end clipped off?
Nancie can play the digeridoo with the cycle breathing and she blows the conch far better than me too. I've heard Dizzy Gillispie play the conch, but one among the best is the lockmaster, Robert, at the Deep Creek locks on the Dismal Swamp Canal just south of Norfolk, Virginia.

There are stacks of discarded conch with a slit cut lower than the apex for cutting the muscle free for the food source. It's best to epoxy the hole closed in one of these old conchs (marinetex works well) and then cut off the tip to a point at one inch to an inch and a half in diameter. Certainly this is better than harvesting a live conch for the instrument. A little sand paper for a smooth seal does well. The embouchure required is the same as playing a trumpet,- the buzz through the close to closed lips.
Old 06-08-2014, 17:54   #114

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: What do you actually do while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
well said. goes double for those desk jockeys who are into baiting and bashing in pms also. those are truly chickens**t folks with no lives and pure jealousy in veins. you know who you are. suck it up and be a human being for a change. bullies are not humans, but something below pond scum.

we are who we make ourselves. if you are jealous of someone's accomplishments, go out and accomplish something, dont bully folks.

there is much to do when cruising..isnt just sitting on deck as in a daysail on the river.

the more you sail the more you will learn needs to be done as you sail.

you will also learn how to read weather and seas..

you will find constantly watching the environment is a very interesting thing to do. lots going on aroun dye out here....

Zeehag... Nize too zee you back!

Sent from somewhere other than where I want to be!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 18:07   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
............. Anyone know where I can get a Conch shell with the end clipped off?
Chances are your Island Packet is not in Albany! I'm presently on the St. Johns just south of Jacksonville. Your boat might be near. I can always lay my hands on a conch that can be made into an instrument with a little "refit". Send me a PM and I'll find the conch!
Old 06-08-2014, 18:31   #116

...digeridoo...

Ah, brings back memories of the BVIs. Our son won the evening competition at Trellis Bay two years in a row. Maybe 'cuz he was the only "tourista" who had the gonads to give it a try!

He plays guitar quite well, took lessons, I never did, dagnabbit! But we have a bunch of guitars at home, and he brought one of the better ones with us on our last cruise.

We'd been planning to get to the Farrallon Islands, 25 miles off the N. California coast for the past few years, and had been turned back three times due to either lack of wind or too much of it.

Last week we made it. Motored to Drakes Bay once we were equidistant from the Golden Gate, the islands and Drakes Bay.

Drakes Bay was HEAVEN. I'd been there before a few times. Quiet. Empty, safe, gorgeous. Lovely stars that night.

The next day we headed south to the islands, motored halfway, sailed the rest and sailed all the way back to Sausalito.

Back to the OP? We ate, we napped, we fixed things, we sailed, we told tall stories, we read a LOT. This time we didn't play Scrabble ('cuz he always wins!!!), but we had a great time. He played the guitar a lot.

A great time.

That's what it is all about, whether you're living on your boat full time, part time or often.

The more often the better.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 22:26   #117

Boat: ro/ro container ship

I am a seaman for 25 years now, You ca'nt tell someones why we love the sea. You have to leave it. It's something you love or do'nt...something inside you,
After my career want to bye a sailboat to continue with my wife. My father inlaw said to me before i left for my first trip. To be on shore or at sea is two differents things..Did not know what he mean at that time. And would never understund . i look at him and smile ( what the hell is talking about )
Appreciate all the good moment, The friends , the stories, the memories are endless...
The storms that sometime you are very scared. Just goes away when the sun come out.
Still remember 23 years ago during a storm, we passed between a island and the shore with the sun coming down...was perfect....
kempty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:51   #118

Boat: Hardin Sea Wolf 41ft

I play my guitar, or ukelele and write songs. Here's one called the ballad of picaroon, thats the name of our boat. sub-titled Living the dream. It helps to pass the time. You can also find this post in General sailing but thought it may be appropriate here.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:04   #119
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Great song mate...well done.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:18   #120

Boat: charley morgan-38
Re: What do you actually do while cruising?

Randyonr3,..... ......, well maintaince on our boat , is around 30-20 hours a week,that's a given, living in and on one of the hardest environments on the plant,not sure why that is even mentioned,? Bugs in you boat while sleeping ?we have screens. The latest,thing,,LOL,i don't recall saying full time cruising is all fun and games, but like any thing in life ,hard work and planning will payoff, it is our choice, to work hard and play hard, as RED said, "get busy livin,or get busy dying,"
BLACKBIRD1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising