Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2014, 08:29   #61

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Tablets for cruising

I'll be happy when the US does 2 things...
1) Goes metric.
2) Changes to GSM
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 08:32   #62

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
1) Goes metric.
2) Changes to GSM
But apparently there are different flavors of GSM, and some iPads are compatible with more of those "flavors." Of course, I don't "know" any of this. It's just what I've read on the interwebs.
Old 21-03-2014, 11:02   #63

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
1) Goes metric.
2) Changes to GSM

As far as I know, both AT&T Mobility and T-Mobile are still using GSM. Probably some others who bundle/re-sell rides on those larger carriers.

No insight into how long that might last. Chances of other biggies switching away from CDMA seem to be slim to zip, and I think (but not sure) they've made big headway in Central and South America, too.

-Chris
Old 30-03-2014, 11:15   #64

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

There was a lot of resistance at the time, especially from the rural sector who claimed it was better because of the greater range for reception but Australia got rid of its CDMA network years ago and I have had no problems getting overseas SIMs to work in our GSM phones and tablets. The US really needs to catch up with the rest of the world in some things.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-03-2014, 11:54   #65

Quote:
1) Goes metric.
2) Changes to GSM

It would be nice if the entire US cellular system was GSM. As it is now, you can get GSM service through AT&T, T-Mobile, or any of their MVNOs. I'm using an unlocked, international quad band Samsung Note II with an AT&T SIM card through Straight Talk. I can tether the phone without having to root it and it supports up to 5 devices via wifi.

If I still have this phone when I finally set sail, I'll just swap in local SIM cards, which a non-international version phone would not be able to communicate on European frequency systems.

This way I can either use my current Le Pan II Android tablet (uses the same screen and many other components of the Ipad for low cost parts) at about 1/3 the price of an Ipad, or if I get something newer, more powerful, I can select it based on tech specs, rather than having to buy something compatible with the local cell infrastructure. I much prefer using one device to tether all of my laptops and tablets, let them just use wifi to connect.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 12:03   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post
But apparently there are different flavors of GSM, and some iPads are compatible with more of those "flavors." Of course, I don't "know" any of this. It's just what I've read on the interwebs.
I think you're better off getting an international GSM phone, and swapping in SIM cards for the local cellular network. Then use the phone for a local wifi hotspot and this way you're not forced to buy a particular tablet based on what cellular network you're currently in.

99% of people have a cell phone, so let the phone do the cellular to wifi bridging for you if you can't get a wifi signal from the local marina. I have a Le Pan II Android tablet that uses mostly Ipad parts, yet it only cost $220. It has no cellular receiver in it, only wifi. No problem, I have an unlocked international Samsung Note II which is quad band, it will work on any GSM cellular system world wide. I simply turn on wifi tethering, and I can surf the web with up to 5 devices, at no extra charger per device.

If I had bought a cellular enabled tablet, I'd have to pay for another account, even though practically speaking, I can only look at and surf on one device at a time. Why pay for multiple accounts?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 12:25   #67

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Currently I have a galaxy note 10.1 that I picked up through verizon and added to my plan. It has LTE 4G connectivity as well. It does have a sim card as well as options of what cell data networks to chkse from. Attached is a screen shot of my choices. Even tho I was not a fan of amdriod os or even mac products. I don't think ill ever own a "I" anything in my life. Its to culty for my blood. I was a crackberry fan and loved how the os worked on top of the multi functionality of the phone. I never missed a call while using my data or texting when people tried tocall me. Fast foreward to the note 3 I have for a phone and its rubbish. I may reactivate my berry since I may not need the one app that was only on the IOS and droids for work. To bad there is not as many apps or extras as android has.

As far as having to unlock it I have not dug into that but I believe if I ring verizon I have been told just like their other devices I could get a "unlock code" to allow other networks and sim cards to be used in this and any of their enabled phones. Just in advance let the carrier know you plan on going overseas and are bringing your device with you. I dont know if the code come fast or in weeks but thats what I have herd.

wondering around with no destionation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396207339685.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	78496  
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 04:53   #68

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
There was a lot of resistance at the time, especially from the rural sector who claimed it was better because of the greater range for reception but Australia got rid of its CDMA network years ago and I have had no problems getting overseas SIMs to work in our GSM phones and tablets. The US really needs to catch up with the rest of the world in some things.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

As you see, GSM is available...

I think the CDMA vendors here would say it the other way around.

I think they argue CDMA is more efficient, and I think GSM vendors argue GSM (a form of TDMA) is more worldwide. In the meantime, I guess the rest of us just muddle through, picking what best suits...

-Chris
Old 31-03-2014, 06:03   #69

Boat: Beneteau 381 38'

I use an iPad Air. There are a couple of things everyone seems to be talking about so here is why I chose iPad:
1. If you purchase from an Apple store, they are all unlocked (iPhones too). Then go to any carrier you want
2. THe KEY thing is to get a tablet with Wi-Fi AND Cellular. If the cellular chip is installed, it has a build in GPS. This allows active chart plotting without data or Wi-Fi turned on.
3. The issue with European connectivity is a non-issue if using Wi-Fi.
4. The unlocked version should work fine once you install a european SIM card, just test your version first. I do believe the Air works fine but have not been there recently to confirm.
sailor_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:08   #70

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 here. No SIM because I have WiFi aboard or can set up a hotspot with my phone. Built in real GPS. Quite pleased.

USB adaptor is a great accessory. Now I can access charts and other docs on USB drive.

Have transitioned almost 100% off my laptop. Only a few apps I need on there that I rarely use.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 19:59   #71

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Was looking at the Sony Xperia Z2 with Wifi only. Specs out to a 9 hour battery life and is water proof. Probably realistic at 6 or 7 hours on a single charge, but water proof enough for use on the pedestal. 64GB would be plenty for the Central California Coast to Cabo charts. Add a 12VDC connection in the cockpit to supply power and it could stay on indefinitely.

Coupled with the other nav gear, it seems it would be a right smart addition.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29   #72

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Geez guys, our old iPad 1 works just fine in Canada and Europe so I can't see the new tech not working if you have GPS, cellular, and wifi. We have a Spanish SIM card for Europe--it all works fine.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 18:37   #73

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
Was looking at the Sony Xperia Z2 with Wifi only. Specs out to a 9 hour battery life and is water proof. Probably realistic at 6 or 7 hours on a single charge, but water proof enough for use on the pedestal. 64GB would be plenty for the Central California Coast to Cabo charts. Add a 12VDC connection in the cockpit to supply power and it could stay on indefinitely.

Coupled with the other nav gear, it seems it would be a right smart addition.
For cockpit use, is it daylight viewable? Many are not in full sun.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 19:02   #74

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Looks bright enough to be good in most lighting conditions. The numbers (brightness rating) are high enough that it should be.

My old Asus TF101 is usable in direct sunlight and the Sony numbers are bout 15% better. Will have to get my hands on one to see.

Tags
cruising