Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 17:05   #1

Boat: Bayfield29, 31loa bowsprit
Lightbulb Sailing/Cruising Adventure Book, newbie author

Many years ago, when still dreaming of cruising and before owning a boat, I loved to read books about the subject. Now, so many years later, I'm snooping around to see what other boaters like to see in nonfiction cruising adventure stories. There's so much out there!
For several years, I wrote boating adventure articles for the magazine market, and have always wanted to write a book. Finally (yeah!), I have an almost finished manuscript that will soon be published and put on the market, and I'm using "Kickstarter" that provides a service to help financially strapped people get their creative projects off the ground.
Your feedback would be invaluable and, if interested, you can secure a copy of the book in advance through the link below.
Also, if this post is too much like advertising, let me know, respectfully, I don't want to step out of bounds...
Thank you so much for any input! -Rebecca
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ts-one-journey
s/vAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 17:35   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Sailing/Cruising Adventure Book, newbie author

Personally I don’t see this as a marketing ploy, but a potentially good thread about sharing non-traditional lifestyle choices with strangers.

I am sure your book will be a fun read, enlightening to newcomers and familiar to many cruisers.
I just wonder whether the many cathartic, cruising blogs freely distributed on the internet have already satiated the market with a non-edited sense of a cruiser’s reality.

Best of luck!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:55   #3

Since you brought it up: Not that I really care but yes, this looks a lot like an attempt at marketing your book when you make a pitch to pre-order.

That said, do it because you love to write. There are so many books out compared to even 10-15 yrs ago that I don't think there is room to make much off it. That's before you even get to all the blogs floating around.

Unless you are a really engaging writer, a general "this is our cruising life" type book will be a tough sell unless you have a publisher who has decided to push your book. Tying it to an area/destination or some sort of goal will at least draw in those who have similar interests but if you look at the big names in cruising books, it doesn't appear to be a path to great wealth.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 18:17   #4

Boat: Bayfield29, 31loa bowsprit

Thanks for the input on whether the post sounds too advertisey. You're absolutely right about the desire to share part. Writing books for specific markets is not a path to wealth, it's expensive, and is A LOT of work. I won't quit my day job, that's for sure!
I'm finishing this book in response to the many questions I'd get about living aboard and cruising, especially when I worked as a boating travel writer. The trick is to reach all those folks who were asking and let 'em know about this project...and, yes, hope that they're not already saturated with all those blogs.
s/vAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 19:45   #5

Boat: Spencer 42 hull 17
Send a message via Skype™ to Chasing Summer

No, I didn't think it was too advertisy, either ... that's what part of this forum is for.
It does kind of sound like what Sailing Simplicity & the Pursuit of Happines by Thersa Carey. Teresa Carey's Sailing Simplicity & the Pursuit of Happiness They were two boat, two people, sold both boats and bought one bigger one for the two of them. They're working on a movie, maybe it's finished by now. I wish I could write. I'm not trying to discourage you. You have my support. I'm reading the write up on your page.
Good Luck

Tags
cruising, sail, sailing