Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 19:08   #1

Boat: 1984 Phantom 32
Kogan TV

Hello all, just after a bit of feedback from anyone that has a Kogan 16" tv / dvd combo. It apparently is 240v or 12 v. Only got a small boat so need a small tv / dvd for those rainy days on a long cruise. All feedback good or bad will be welcomed. Is it better to run on 240v via an inverter or 12v as far as power usage goes. Thank you

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-1...r-combo-zc-dpa
Boat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 22:20   #2

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
Re: Kogan TV

I purchased the slightly larger one without the DVD. Works very well, probably better than the TEAC I have in the main saloon. The 12/240 was 12 volt in but came with a 240 AC to 12 volt DC adapter so throw that way and connect it the 12 volt direct. In fact I think I cut the lead off the adapter to wire it to the 12 volt.

No value running it from an inverter other than wasting power. 12 volt DC to 240 AC back to 12 DC in this case is just a waste as the thing is designed to run on 12.

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 23:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
I purchased the slightly larger one without the DVD. Works very well, probably better than the TEAC I have in the main saloon. The 12/240 was 12 volt in but came with a 240 AC to 12 volt DC adapter so throw that way and connect it the 12 volt direct. In fact I think I cut the lead off the adapter to wire it to the 12 volt.

No value running it from an inverter other than wasting power. 12 volt DC to 240 AC back to 12 DC in this case is just a waste as the thing is designed to run on 12.
I also have a Kogan TV/DVD combo, about 4 years old now. Agree with above, just run off 12V. Only negative is the sound quality, a bit 'tinnie', if you get my drift. Otherwise seems good unit, especially for the price.
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 00:02   #4

Many thanks for your comments guys. Do either of you run any sort of voltage regulator / stabilizer for the 12v tv power supply. I read somewhere that batteries may range from 12v - 14+v over a sunny day with solar panels, wind generators etc operating
Old 24-03-2017, 07:01   #5

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I use a compact sound bar to amplify the tinny audio. Rechargeable from 5v USB, bluetooth and SD. Multifunction.
Google: Craig cma3581
Alternately, find a set of 12v driven computer speakers.
I use a 15" Supersonic 12v TV/DVD aboard. Sounds much better now
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 10:03   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Kogan TV

I have a three year old Kogan 22 inch tv with DVD. I would NOT recommend it to my worst enemy. Aside from the truly hopeless ergonomics (very, very slow to respond to the remote control, takes three or four seconds to change to the next channel, takes around 30 seconds to switch on) and utterly terrible sound, the really big problem for me has been the process of finding an encoding format that it will support for playing back media files from the flash drive. This may sound trivial but I got heartily sick of carrying DVDs down to the boat and wanted to keep copies on board on a flash drive. I sorted it out eventually using hours of trial and error but the Kogan tech support could not help because they had no access to any kind of historical tech data for the tv. This is because Kogan just puts their brand on random devices. The encoding it does support is not H264 as stated on the Kogan site but only mpeg2 with a badly restricted frame rate and very low bandwidth audio. When the rotten thing dies I will pay the extra money and buy a better brand replacement.

Sorry for the rant but I think people should be aware of the hidden downsides of these sorts of manufacturers.
Old 25-03-2017, 03:42   #7

Hi, thanks for your honesty. Yes you have raised some valid points. My aim is to
de-stress on the boat, NOT add stress. I also had the idea of using of using flash drives as storing dvd is a pain.
Old 25-03-2017, 03:46   #8

Hey theyre real neat speakers. Thanks for the link
Old 19-11-2019, 04:24   #9

Boat: Stuart 47

I have had 2 Kogan TV's, both 12 volt with DVD's, no problems ever. Re-tune when at new anchorige. All good.
geoffq1 is offline   Reply With Quote