Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2021, 04:27   #1

Anyone POLEspearing?

Who is out there shooting fish with a good old-fashioned polespear?

The water here is cold and rough so the vis is… not. Be kind while winter isn’t, and share your stories to keep the stoke going.

Me, I’m shooting in fairly shallow water in the Keys with a Headhunter Predator and a JBL 6’ aluminium. Getting hogs and some grouper.

I find the grunts and sheepshead surprisingly difficult. Any tips?
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 04:34   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Anyone POLEspearing?

You mean like a Hawaiian Sling? If so it’s all in the diving and knowing how to approach different species, and what they will do. Proximity is key and these supposedly stupid fish seem to know what your range is.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 09:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
You mean like a Hawaiian Sling?
No, I mean a POLEspear. A Hawaiian Sling isn’t the same thing at all, and is more akin to a speargun. That said, it does take stalking to hunt with a spear, as it has far shorter range than a sling.
Old 20-11-2021, 19:54   #4

LOL then what’s a POLEspear?

Been eating delicious fish from the pacific outside my front door that I’ve hit with my sling my entire life…

If you’re not talking about a speargun or Hawaiian sling, I’m genuinely curious….
cruisin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 20:59   #5

Pole spear is different then Hawaiian sling. Both are non triggered, banded appearances. Google them.

For more Skittish fish you may need a long spear. For fish like mutton snapper I use an 8’ spear. This gets me closer to shooting distance while seeming staying farther away.

On approach, I try and make my frame small and streamline pointing at my target. The fish will focus on my approaching body and not be able to clearly see the shaft of the spear.

For and sizable fish use a single spearhead and not a trident. Tridents are good for smaller fish and lobster (if your area allows).

Pay attention to the size, shape and color of the gear. It’s all about getter the spear tip close to the target, which is easier to do when the spear is streamlined.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 21:22   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

A pole spear is a pointy stick with a big rubber band on the non pointy end. I like them better than a Hawaiian sling.
Old 21-11-2021, 04:09   #7

HopCar, was in your shop a couple weeks ago. Y’all were kind enough to sell me a bit of laser cut foam. Installing this weekend. Thanks.

JC Reefer, thanks. With ya on the longer reach for muttons, although I have managed to shoot a couple with the 6’JBL and its trident tip. I dropped down on them from above and the trident meant that I had a better chance at the narrow target.

That said, the new-to-me Predator does mean I can reach out and touch them and I’m trying to figure out how to approach laterally, as it were. I’ve been dropping down from above which is nice in that the fish don’t really see you, but thats not going to work with that single point tip. Or my aim will REALLY have to improve, ha ha

But sheepshead? I can get closer to muttons than to them. Super spooky. What are y’all doing?
Old 21-11-2021, 05:54   #8

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Pole spear is different then Hawaiian sling. Both are non triggered, banded appearances. Google them.

For more Skittish fish you may need a long spear. For fish like mutton snapper I use an 8’ spear. This gets me closer to shooting distance while seeming staying farther away.

On approach, I try and make my frame small and streamline pointing at my target. The fish will focus on my approaching body and not be able to clearly see the shaft of the spear.

For and sizable fish use a single spearhead and not a trident. Tridents are good for smaller fish and lobster (if your area allows).

Pay attention to the size, shape and color of the gear. It’s all about getter the spear tip close to the target, which is easier to do when the spear is streamlined.
OK I googled them and found that they are basically the same thing.

I have been Spearfishing for decades [emoji849], yes I'm old! For the fish that are most skittish I always needed a longer spear and I need to be really still while holding the spear out. If I can hold my breath long enough they will SLOWLY come closer to look at the shiny tip of the spear. Eventually they turn side-on to leave and that's the moment to shoot. It's amazing how just inches can make a difference between hitting and cleanly missing. I can't tell you you how many times a beautiful fish would stop just barely too far away while I slowly run out of air waiting for it.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 02:59   #9

A pole spear is not ‘basically the same thing’ in use. That is to say:

A pole spear is limited in its range to the spear length.

A Hawaiian sling is a projectile weapon, and is far more akin to a speargun, able to reach a more distant target.

The hunting techniques for the two devices therefore differ, which is why I focused my question on polespear in particular.
Old 15-12-2021, 10:46   #10

In California, they're different things. dunno about other locales.
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2021, 11:26   #11

Boat: J Boats J/46

We do and enjoy slaying lionfish.
SV_Sweet_Ruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 17:02   #12

Lion is very good eating, indeed. It’s a good thing, I’m in the keys and not seeing too many lions. There were a depressingly large number of them in the Bahamas, however.
Old 17-12-2021, 20:28   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It's been a while but I did very well with a 6 foot pole spear and a paralyzer tip without barbs around the Channel Islands in California here. The Sheepshead we have out here are very bright, especially the big males, and they like the deeper water. If you can hold your breath well and you are patient you can get lucky. If you slowly follow them, eventually they will turn their heads to look. Shot just ahead of them (females; I couldn't get the males) and I usually got them in the gills.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 04:09   #14

Thanks for the sheepshead tips. The ones here live near structure, usually bridges and piers type stuff. I guess I need to work on my still-skills, ha ha
Old 04-01-2022, 15:02   #15

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
A pole spear is a pointy stick with a big rubber band on the non pointy end. I like them better than a Hawaiian sling.
All I ever managed to do with one was chum the water and attract a rather large and curious tiger shark (who I later found out was named Monty).

I swear, before that I didn't know fish could laugh.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote