Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2018, 18:39   #1

Would you register a boat you bought abroad as a Canadian vessel

I am just about to register a boat that I bought in Langkawi Malaysia. This is a tax free island. I am considering simply registering the boat here and flying under the Malaysian flag. The price is about 1500 RM, or 400 USD. This is for the first year then there is an additional 400 RM or 100 USD per year after.

So a couple questions. Would anyone find it strange flying under a flag that was not your own country flag. I take it this is quite normal...

Also, paperwork takes six weeks to process. What happens to the boat during that time? can it be sailed?

Lastly, has anyone registered a boat as Canadian after purchasing it abroad? keep in mind this boat will never be sailed to or near Canada and will most likely be re sold in Langkawi.

Thanks, and fair winds.

Adam
Kolomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 20:35   #2

Re: Would you register a boat you bought abroad as a Canadian vessel

I am a non-resident Canadian and have bought and registered 2 boats bought abroad in Canada.
No tax if she never goes to Canada

Simple if 15m or less, and about 250.00 CAD, with no ongoing fees.
Simply file the paperwork and pay, with the process taking about 2 weeks if you do it yourself, or 2 days using Marine Title in Vancouver

All the info is on Transport Canada website

Seems to me that I would rather have the protection of a Canadian flag.

Selling is a simple matter of de-registering in Canada, with a Transport Canada Bill of Sale for the new Owner.
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 21:42   #3

Hog head is right, all my Canadian boats have been purchased tax free.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 00:45   #4

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

And the Maple Leaf is an aesthetically more pleasing flag, no?

Plus you can amaze foreigners by showing them the - how do we refer to it - 'optical illusion' of the two faces talking to each other.

Further, the Jalur Gemilang is likely to be confused with that other stripey flag.

Something to which the Maple Leaf is immune.
Old 16-03-2018, 04:59   #5

Thanks guys,

Transit Canada had a lot of info. As a first timer it is still a bit confusing. Printed out all the forms I need. I hope haha. I think the cost of registering is 150 dollars and is for life. I will be researching this weekend and will be in at the brokers on Monday. I will fill everyone in on the step by step, as far as I can see the biggest problem is the fact that if something is wrong in the paper work, the whole process stops for the length of time it takes me to mail them the correct paper work.

Measure twice cut once.
Kolomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 05:19   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I'm not sure if the previous posters are giving old information, but my registration was definatley not easy. It took 3 months to recieve my Canadian registration (I was told by transport Canada this is the new normal). It was also a pretty complicated process that involved a "de-registration" certificate from the previously registered country (in my case Germany). All my other Canadian cruising friends reported very similar experiences recently (last 2 years or so).

Anyway, everything you need to know is here.
Canadian Register of Vessels - Transport Canada
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 05:44   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410

Stripey Flag?? Har!

Watch out for the name problem. Our little brothers on the evolutionary scale won't let you use an already taken name. Natty Bumpo is taken, that's how I learned about this.
Old 16-03-2018, 07:11   #8

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Cayman Islands, plus you get to have an off-shore bank!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 08:07   #9

Adam: No clue if it may be so, but I'd enquire very carefully if there could be repercussions if a Malaysian resident (however that term may be defined by Malaysia) skippers, as distinct from owns, a foreign registered vessel in Malaysian waters.

Please be aware also that in Canada we distinguish twixt a REGISTERED vessel and a LICENCED one. Again, the Transport Canada web site will explain just what the distinction is.

You might also like to enquire about possible insurance ramifications of what you propose.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 08:13   #10

Boat: PDQ32

If you have bought a catamaran you probably need to get the boat hauled and hire a Canadian recognized tonnage surveyor. More cost and trouble than it is worth to provide a completely useless outdated number. I registered in Delaware when faced with this.
Old 16-03-2018, 08:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. Please be aware also that in Canada we distinguish twixt a REGISTERED vessel and a LICENCED one. Again, the Transport Canada web site will explain just what the distinction is.

2. You might also like to enquire about possible insurance ramifications of what you propose.
1. That's simple: Licensed is by province and lasts ten years and is free. Registered is Federal, costs $$, earlier posts says duration. I recently moved my boat from the US to BC, got a BC license and had to pay an import tax. Import tax is not due unless and until you move the boat into Canada.

2. Good idea.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 08:39   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Federally registered Canadian boat owner here. We liked the PO's boat name and it was federally registered. So the transfer altered an existing registration, not created a new registration. The cost difference was $150 vs. $450. This was in 2006. We have to re-register at no cost every three years. We are the only boat of this name in the country. Well, the only federally recognized one, I suppose.

We appreciate having our home port visible and flying our flag for a reason other than decoration.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 08:42   #13

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

If you plan to travel with the vessel I say register it in the same country as your passport.

I did this from Florida a couple of years ago and it was a smooth process. Yes Transport Canada must receive a letter of de-registration along with your other application paperwork. You must also provide 3 alternate registration names in case your chosen name already exists for the port of call planned/listed.

Bottom line? There are but two flags worldwide noted for neutrality and coincidentally both are red and white. Canada and Switzerland.
Old 16-03-2018, 09:17   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You can check Canadian Registered boat names with this handy web site:

Vessel Registration Query System

You can also lookup any Canadian Registered boat. You get all the usual specs plus owner contact info.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 10:09   #15

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Legal requirements
To register a ship in any country you must either be a resident of that country or the boat must be bought by a company registered in that country. As a private individual you cannot simply choose a flag nation.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat