Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 09:13   #91

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: What can't I name my boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm reminded of a race boat in the SF bay area years ago, name of "FUJIMO". Not an obscure Japanese curse, but from "f... you, Jane, I'm moving out".

Might have been a response to one of those 'me or the boat" ultimatums... i dunno.

Jim
You can always find another girl that would like the boat, but THAT girl will never like ANY boat.
Old 10-11-2016, 19:01   #92

Boat: Ericson 27

I solicited names from everyone I know and listed them thinking it might be easier to do that then be sorry I put it on the boat. There were 40 or so names all together.
Finally the admiral liked "Heaven," (happy wife, happy life) cause that is what it is like sailing her. Being an Ericson we thought to go with the Viking thing so we named it Valhalla.
alcodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 19:48   #93

Oh Dear!

Valhalla is not heaven. Valhalla is the place where warriors practice their swordplay every day in preparation for the great final battle twixt good and evil, Ragnarok, that will occur on the Plain of Vigrithr and destroy the world and all that is in it.

Vigrithr is rather akin to Judeo-Christian Armangeddon, but Valhalla is not remotely similar to Christian Purgatory. Vigrithr is also in some respects akin to the Hindus' Plain of Kerukshetra, and you will find, amazingly enuff, that many of the tales of the Mahabaratha are paralleled in the Norse Eddas

At Valhalla there is a Great Hall called Gimle. In Gimle there is feasting and revelry every night as the warriors that were slain during the day's battle practice are revived and feast on ever-flowing rivers of mead and endless trenchers of meat cut from the magic hog Sährimnir who grows his flesh back as quickly as you can cut if from him, and never dies. The delicacies are served by handmaids called Valkyres.

Some day, with the moderators' indulgence I will tell you what befell Thor, the God of Thunder, one early morning after such a feast :-)

In Scowegia many a ship bears the name Freya. Freya was the most beautiful of all the Vanir goddesses, and the Goddess of Love. She was, it is said, lusted after by Thor, but Freya always felt that she could do better than that! Freya is in some ways the equivalent of the Hindu Goddess of Love, Rati, though her iconography, and the tales told of her in the Eddas, are not as explicit.

Nevertheless, the exquisite pleasures that may be conferred by a well-found sailing vessel may well warrant giving her the name "Freya" :-)

Cheers

Former Danish Person, TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 21:33   #94

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

There is a ship cursed with the name "Titan Uranus", believe it or not.