Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 10:55   #16

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: uscg license on line

Training, licensing, and education might be thought of in three different areas:

(1) Minimum government requirements to operate a recreational water craft for pleasure.
(2) Voluntary optional training -- which might be useful in satisfying charter company requirements or in showing that you meet (1) above.
(3) Commercial licensure required for carrying passengers for hire or working in a maritime industry.

(1) In the USA, there is no "licensing" for pleasure boat operators, but almost all of the states (and Canada) do have minimum education requirements. These mostly apply to younger adult and youth operators, but in some states (e.g. Virginia), the requirements are being phased in to apply to all operators of motorboats (including auxiliary sailboats). Requirements can be met by various on-line or in-person classes, often offered free or at modest cost. Information taught is basic and focuses upon legal requirements and safe operation. Internationally, some countries don't give a raggedy rat's rump about who operates a boat, whereas others are picky. And, some don't care -- until someone gets in an accident. Also included in this general category are specialized requirements such as for operating a boat upon the canals of France, etc.

(2), voluntary training, are most of the classes taught by RYA, US Sailing, American Sailing Association, US & Canadian Power Squadrons, USCG Aux, community sailing centers, youth camps, commercial sailing schools, and various other organizations. Many offer certifications that may be of value in chartering boats, and some of these certifications may meet the basic boating safety education requirements mentioned above.

(3) is the whole complicated and involved world of commercial qualifications, medical and drug tests, identification cards, logged experience, endorsements, crew and skipper qualification requirements, and so on that go with commercial licensure for carrying passengers for hire or working a job in the marine industry. Some sailors who are mostly recreational boaters get credentials because they do deliveries now and then or work occasionally at sailing schools, or just for bragging rights.

Some jobs may require a combination of different types of education, certification, and licensure, i.e., working for a sailing school in the USA, might require a combination of experience, professional licensure (OUPV/master's ticket), and instructor certification from a group such as US Sailing, ASA, or RYA.

And, various forms of education, certification, or licensure just might be pleasing to your insurance company and result in a discount or in the ability to get coverage for ambitious or challenging activities. Or maybe, having something official looking might be reassuring to the occasional port or customs official.
Old 03-09-2012, 15:55   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: USCG License on Line

I have my USCG Masters but unfortunately, I was totally honest on the medical about my heart murmer I've had for 60 years. I am now in the "Special Treatment" category and keeping the credentials now costs me 4000 per year for CG prescribed nuclear cardio tests. My own cardio doctor says they are excessive and the clinic told me not to come back because the machines are for sick people. The CG does not care AT ALL what my AMA heart transplant doctor thinks. CG assumes you will use the credentials for commercial purposes and that you may be driving monster vessels. Too bad they don't offer a non-commercial version like the RYA Yachtmaster that is simply an accreditation of your technical competancy. I will not be able to afford to keep my credentials so my record will show they were withdrawn by the CG for cause. Worse than never having them.

BTW - the advice from this - There is nothing wrong with you!!!!!! when you fill out the forms. As long as you are only planning to operate your own pleasure craft non-commercially, you have no issues of interest to them.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 09:57   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Just went to my doctor to get my medical, but he says he is not certified to do this type of medical.

So, is there a list of doctors somewhere who ARE certified to do a USCG medical for a six pack?

The link in the CG forms is broke.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 13:13   #19
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Just went to my doctor to get my medical, but he says he is not certified to do this type of medical.

So, is there a list of doctors somewhere who ARE certified to do a USCG medical for a six pack?

there is in S. Florida
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 13:43   #20

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

That isn't right. My primary care doc did mine. Anyone with a license can sign them - even a nurse practitioner. Quote below from the USCG website: Medical - USCG National Maritime Center

"The medical provider completing the required examination must be a physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner who is licensed in the United States or one of the U.S. territories."

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 14:05   #21

Boat: Outremer 50S

AFAIK the CG no longer requires any certification or list of specific doctors. The reg. says:

Quote:
All examinations, tests and demonstrations must be performed, witnessed or reviewed by a physician (Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO))or nurse practioner or a certified physician assistant licensed by a State in the U.S., a U.S. possession, or a U.S. territory
So, is your physician saying s/he is unqualified to sign your 719K or that they can't do all the required tests? Either way, I would ask them to refer you to someone who can. You don't say where you are, but most industrial/vocational medical centers (nears refineries, factories, etc.) have physicians that do this type of thing routinely.

[EDIT] Painkiller beat me while I was daydreaming [/EDIT]
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 14:21   #22

About a year ago , someone on this forum gave the requirements for the RYA license and the US masters license, and I was surprised to learn that the RYA took much less sea time than the equivalent USCG Masters. They did require an actual test under sail which the US doesnt do, but I cant imagine that it could be too complicated. I got my first Masters in ST Thomas in a class full of people that didnt know there were 360 degrees on the compass card. Everyone else was going for a 6 pack, but I had enough sea time for the limited masters and took that exam. It took a lot of study, but was good for skill building. 10 years later I took the Oceans exam, and that was a truly stupid exam. I had many thousands of miles navigating by sextant , but just barely passed that exam. Maybe someone with better computer skills than me can find the sea time requirements for both tickets and compare them for us.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 14:28   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

The dr. said he had the right credentials to do FAA and DOT medical exams, but not the right ones for the 719. He took a long look at the forms and there was a "title" in there that he said was problematic. I think he knows what he is talking about. He otherwise seems to be right smart. I needed an annual anyway so no big deal, I hope.

Talked to the school where I will take the course. They recommended Medical Review Officer Certification | Drug Testing Symposium | AAMRO

That took a half dozen calls to get a sentient being but found one in the area.

The CLAIM $78.50 for the physical. We will see.

Think I'll try to do it in the am and see what happens.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 19:14   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

My family practice doc had no trouble doing and signing mine. I suspect your doc has been down the government document road before.
As I noted above; A word of advice if this is for personal use only. When you fill out the pages of everything you may ever have suffered from, the answer is NO to everything or you will be thrown into endless limbo. You may eventually get the ticket but there will be annual conditions attached requiring you to get every special nuclear test you can imagine and a few you have not. If you are retired (underinsured) you will pay personally for these. Unless you plan to operate commercially, there is nothing wrong with you. I was scrupulously honest and it is costing me thousands for tests my doctor cannot authorize.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 19:32   #25

I think I answered "yes" to asthma and they didn't blink twice at it, but that's just asthma who knows what something else would have triggered.

I'd really say to take the class in person if you can. I learned a lot from my instructor. Rather than look at it as getting a license, look at it as a great learning opportunity and in the end they give you a license, which is really what it's all about.

Just to get in you need to have a substantial amount of sea time so it's not a class for dumdums. They expect you to know basic shipboard operations, knots, familiarity with terminology, and better-than-a-chartplotter navigation. They'll teach it all as well, but you can learn so much from your instructors.

How often do you find yourself standing there with different highly experienced mariners that are there to help you and teach you about the profession? I learned so much. Great instructors. Great fellow students.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license