Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 16:22   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Turks & Caicos stiffing it to yachters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
First off let me say I love America and most Americans. Second if you live in America don’t think you are over taxed. If anyone thinks that they are over taxes they are showing a true lack of knowledge of the world.
I like most Americans too. Central and South Americans are generally very nice, as are theNorth American Canadians (not so much the Canadiens ).

It's those ones in the USA that are a problem.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 16:45   #47

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Well I can remember when Cokes were a nickle and I bought RC Colas because at the same price they were 16 ozs while Cokes were only 8 ozs. I can also remember boating in the Florida Keys in the 1950s when it was a big event every time you saw another boat.

On my first trip to the Bahamas I was 12 years old and my Dad only had to show a drivers license to get in. We checked in at Cat Key and there was no $US100 for docking.

The reason prices are so high now is because there are so many people wanting marina slips, mooring balls, places to anchor, dinghy docks, pumpouts, places to dump trash, bathrooms and showers to use, and all the other stuff they think they need.

It is called supply and demand.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:19   #48

Boat: Voyage 440

I'm amazed that a $100 fee would even bother you from visiting another country. Try to find another country that you can enter with a yacht for $100.
Love and Cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:56   #49

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love and Cheer View Post
I'm amazed that a $100 fee would even bother you from visiting another country. Try to find another country that you can enter with a yacht for $100.
Yay.. Something I can answer and back up with reciepts.

First lets just start at under $100USD (most are WAY under that, about $40USD)
- Canada
- Cuba
- Haiti
- Dominican Replublic
- British Virgin Islands
- SABA
- Kitts and Nevis
- Antigua
- Montserrat
- Dominica
- St. Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Genadines
- Grenada
- Trinidad
- Mexico

How about under $10USD
- St. Martin
- Martinique
- Guadaloupe

Oh man.. Thats only a small part of the world. Other cruisers tell us there are TONS of countries that have ZERO fees.

Anyway.. The person who posted that, should spend some time on Noonsite.com — to better educate themselves.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 20:05   #50

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Yay.. Something I can answer and back up with reciepts.

First lets just start at under $100USD (most are WAY under that, about $40USD)
- Canada
- Cuba
- Haiti
- Dominican Replublic
- British Virgin Islands
- SABA
- Kitts and Nevis
- Antigua
- Montserrat
- Dominica
- St. Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Genadines
- Grenada
- Trinidad
- Mexico

How about under $10USD
- St. Martin
- Martinique
- Guadaloupe

Oh man.. Thats only a small part of the world. Other cruisers tell us there are TONS of countries that have ZERO fees.

Anyway.. The person who posted that, should spend some time on Noonsite.com — to better educate themselves.
And over $100 includes
USA
Colombia
Panama
Ecuador
Tonga
Fiji
Vanuatu
Australia
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 20:12   #51

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
And over $100 includes
USA
Colombia
Panama
Ecuador
Tonga
Fiji
Vanuatu
Australia
Not really %100 true.. The USA is dependent on your nationality. As Canadian's, its under $100USD to enter the USA (no visa required). There are a couple of other nationalities that benefit from that privilege.

However.. Maybe I'm picking nits..

I would love to hear from cruisers over in the Med.. I know other things are expensive there, but pretty sure check-ins are not (I could be wrong).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 20:15   #52

Boat: Aloha 34

You know whats a sure recipe for ever increasing government check in fees? Creating a culture in which you label it whiny or entitlement to advocate for lower fees.

The unfortunate reality is that we're foreigners, so their government doesnt really have to function in our best interests. But if they are shown that many boats are simply sailing by to avoid fees, maybe they'll realize its in their citizens best interests to encourage boats to come and spend some amount of money rather than scare them away, even if they're not high rollers. Maybe it wont cause them to lower the fee, but perhaps it will at least delay the next price hike?

We're currently in the Dominican Republic and have met many boats (including ourselves) who pushed on to get past the Turks to avoid checking in, when otherwise they would have stopped and spent money there. You might think we're cheap asses, and you're probably right, but I don't think we have a net negative effect on the local economy when we show up and buy food, fuel, and pay taxis to drive us around to see the sights.

The negative reaction to advocating for lower fees and less restrictions on cruising boats doesnt seem to be beneficial to the cruising community, so its a bit surprising to see.
Old 09-05-2018, 20:20   #53

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Not really %100 true.. The USA is dependent on your nationality. As Canadian's, its under $100USD to enter the USA (no visa required). There are a couple of other nationalities that benefit from that privilege.

However.. Maybe I'm picking nits..

I would love to hear from cruisers over in the Med.. I know other things are expensive there, but pretty sure check-ins are not (I could be wrong).
What country besides Canada gets a free pass to the USA when entering via a private vessel? I don't believe there are any.
To add to the list New Zealand is essentially free.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 20:23   #54

This is the funniest post I have read on this forum to date. Thank you for the laugh. It's always great to have a chuckle midweek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
No, it’s honest like our current administration.

That is far more compassionate than the alternative.

Respectfully
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 20:59   #55

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Hear, Hear, Wildcat! I'm still ROTFFLMFAO!!!!
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:53   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Love and Cheer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:15   #57

Re: The times they are a changin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The '60s were a heyday for cruising. There were few blue water cruisers, and they were often met with generous welcomes. Also, cruising was affordable to the middle class, for the few who were willing. No one thought of charging for anchoring, or for many other services. And the Caribbean Islands became a tourist mecca as a result of the publicity and word-of-mouth of sailors. But those days are long gone, and while we may mourn the loss we have to live in our times.

Today, while it is easier than ever to go cruising, it is also more expensive - and less affordable to the middle class. Increasingly governments charge for their services - a trend begun (as best I can tell) in the U.S. with the Reagan administration, and spreading pretty much everywhere. For me the extreme example is the UK's Met Office charging for weather forecasts for a day or two out - really?? - but they are not alone. Now there are charges for anchoring, and establishment of no-anchor zones (often in traditional anchorages) to benefit nearby marinas and homeowners. Moorings are justified in popular anchorages so that more boats can enjoy them, but that has been abused. Customs fees and cruising permits are more common and more expensive than ever. That is just the reality of cruising today, and it stinks - but today is when we are living; there is no choice to go back half a century. And these costs are, for most cruisers, a very small part of the total for the enterprise. If you want to cry in your beer, and get commiseration from your fellow cruisers, fine. But this is the world we live in, so don't waste a lot of time complaining as it will do no good. There are now, and will be more in the future, places that are out of the financial reach for some or many of us - just reality. Still, cruising is a wonderful, and overall inexpensive, lifestyle so enjoy that.

The argument that we shouldn't have to pay fees because we spend money is pretty weak. On the one hand we do benefit from government services (including rubbish removal), and on the other we often don't spend much money. I admit that when finding overpriced restaurants I simply would eat on the boat, often with food purchased elsewhere, to no benefit to the locals. Certainly few cruising boats leave nearly as much money behind as a common tourist couple staying in a hotel, so why should they cater to us?

My advice is simply to avoid the places that are charging more than the expected experience justifies, and then pay and enjoy the places that are worth it (even if expensive, e.g. Croatia).

Greg
Overall agree with one clarification:

It was the heyday for cruising ON THE CHEAP.

Very few people who can afford to cruise today would ever consider swapping places. It's nice to wax nostalgic but just about everything today is so much better...except for the cost.

But even that isn't too bad if you use a little common sense to control costs and don't try to frequent popular destinations while complaining about the crowds.

I think the $500/month thread is still kicking around. If that's too expensive, I don't know what would work.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:20   #58

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I like most Americans too. Central and South Americans are generally very nice, as are theNorth American Canadians (not so much the Canadiens ).

It's those ones in the USA that are a problem.
I always find it annoying how many people forget that "America" is actually a continent, and not a country.

When in Europe, and asked if I'm "American", I never really know how to answer; nor how the question was meant, though I usually assume they mean "am I from the USA".

"Canadiens".... haha, I see you're well versed in Canadian politics.

Quick note. I was recently asked that question in Edinburgh. I asked how they knew I wasn't Scottish, as I hadn't said a word. He said, "You're wearing a cap" (baseball cap).

So I looked around, no-one else was, and I looked for caps the rest of the day. The only other baseball cap I saw was worn by a fellow from the USA.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:22   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Americans never do.. just expect 90 days in every EU country as opposed to 90 days for the whole.. and minimum fees.
Maybe when Europeans get 90 days for each US State the EU may do the same.. lets face it.. most States are bigger than many EU countries..
As for the OP bitchin about Chuck.. newbies rarely realise how much the full time cruiser does without to have what he has..
No sympathy.
The fundamental issue is:
- The USA is a collection of states that operate as a single state
- The EU is a state that operates as many states.

Yeah, there are a bunch of technicalities that make that all wrong but if you take off the lawyer hat it's basically what is happening and explains 90% of why the visa rules are different.

I won't say that it's good or bad but the EU is gradually moving toward the USA approach.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:26   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turks & Caicos stiffing it to yachters

In the 60's/70's/80's sailing was the way to get far from the maddening crowd..
Today however its become the chic and trendy way to join the maddening crowd for many.. minus the hassle and cost of finding hotel accommodation in chic and trendy locations during high season..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht