Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2013, 17:28   #256
Marine Service Provider

Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

You do have to laugh at the armchair lawyers who assuming what's law and how things work in one country are the same as another. Also the way that can make statements based on all the facts in the case... as presented by one side only.

He is sitting in a port that has seen a quite a few 100 cruisers leave/arrive in the last couple of months alone. Did any of them get questioned? Nope. Why? they don't look like they have been abandoned and drifting at sea for 6 months.

This thread doesn't contain a lot of relevant info on this gentleman.
Old 28-06-2013, 18:59   #257

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

It sure lets us know we will never return to OZ or NZ They seem to have started being to controling! and all knowing !! All kinds of fancy rules and costs!! Boy have things changed over the years ! They used to be happy with us being there and spending money !! Now they just start chargeing you when ya get there, and don't quit till ya leave !! We used to be glad to get there for doing on the hard work for fair prices!! Sounds like other places they have become regulation happy!! O well there are lots of nice simple places to vist in the pacific !! And OZ and NZ don't really need our few dollars!! So as others will we cross them off our list !! Again we don't really care about this fellas boat condition, cus he got there and he should be able to leave when he wishs !! Just my 2 cents
Old 28-06-2013, 21:36   #258

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Why are people being such pricks to the O.P. for the life of me, he is not like you.Never wanted to be like you, yet he is out there doing it. I mean there by the grace of God go i.

30 years ago a lot of cruisers boats probably were a bit rough around the edges and not full of washing machines and bloody microwaves. So he is a hippie type, what the hell, let him be.

At least this guy is living it.More than I can say for myself right now.
Old 28-06-2013, 21:56   #259

Boat: Adams 45
Thumbs up Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Why are people being such pricks to the O.P. for the life of me, he is not like you.Never wanted to be like you, yet he is out there doing it. I mean there by the grace of God go i.

30 years ago a lot of cruisers boats probably were a bit rough around the edges and not full of washing machines and bloody microwaves. So he is a hippie type, what the hell, let him be.

Old 28-06-2013, 23:40   #260

Quote:

+2
Old 29-06-2013, 00:12   #261
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
It sure lets us know we will never return to OZ or NZ They seem to have started being to controling! and all knowing !! All kinds of fancy rules and costs!! Boy have things changed over the years ! They used to be happy with us being there and spending money !! Now they just start chargeing you when ya get there, and don't quit till ya leave !! We used to be glad to get there for doing on the hard work for fair prices!! Sounds like other places they have become regulation happy!! O well there are lots of nice simple places to vist in the pacific !! And OZ and NZ don't really need our few dollars!! So as others will we cross them off our list !! Again we don't really care about this fellas boat condition, cus he got there and he should be able to leave when he wishs !! Just my 2 cents
Oh wow, this is a pearler of an uninformed post. NZ charges for entry into New Zealand are actually quite reasonable, unless you can find cheaper than 0$ anywhere else in the world. We also apologise unreservedly for the fact that the US economy turned to custard and your dollar is no longer worth 2 NZ$. Because NZ doesn't charge clearance fees we have to restrict services available to cruisers so sorry, we can't offer random boardings by jackbooted thugs from Government departments. Oh well, it would have been a great place for you to visit again but I don't think you would have appreciated it somehow.
BTW, all those whining about the loss of freedom. Did you not realise that freedom also comes with a measure of responsibility? Or are you too immersed in the gimme gimme generation.
Old 29-06-2013, 00:16   #262
cruiser

Quote:

Because he makes thing harder for those that follow in his wake by provoking knee jerk reactions among bureaucrats that will restrict further freedoms. He doesn't grasp the concept of community or brotherhood but selfishly goes his own way without caring of the consequences.
Old 29-06-2013, 00:37   #263

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Because he makes thing harder for those that follow in his wake by provoking knee jerk reactions among bureaucrats that will restrict further freedoms. He doesn't grasp the concept of community or brotherhood but selfishly goes his own way without caring of the consequences.
You see I do not buy this argument at all. The more onerous restrictions are put on us by countries who like to tell all who care to listen that they are the last bastion of freedom.

Yet the have to be the most onerous to clear into. Australia,USA and Europe.Just have a look in the rules and regs threads, see which countries are the major PITAs.

I am afraid it is all about control, you just have to jump thru the hoops. No matter how diligent you are the rules will not decrease because of cruisers good behavior but may increase regardless in the future.
Old 29-06-2013, 00:48   #264
cruiser

Quote:
You see I do not buy this argument at all. The more onerous restrictions are put on us by countries who like to tell all who care to listen that they are the last bastion of freedom.

Yet the have to be the most onerous to clear into. Australia,USA and Europe.Just have a look in the rules and regs threads, see which countries are the major PITAs.

I am afraid it is all about control, you just have to jump thru the hoops. No matter how diligent you are the rules will not decrease because of cruisers good behavior but may increase regardless in the future.
I suspect we are both correct. My argument is that if this POS does actually founder (which seems possible) then the flow on effect for ALL cruisers can only be bad. I've seen the good, the bad and the stupid in my travels and work and the anecdotal evidence coming from NZ is that this guy is not doing the community any favours but wants to draw on them for support. Sorry, he's not getting mine until he at least stops his paranoid rants and starts telling the whole story. Anybody that believes a NZ official can get away with making an arbitrary decision outside of the scope of their contract and continue to do so is deluded.
Old 29-06-2013, 01:48   #265
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Oh wow, this is a pearler of an uninformed post. NZ charges for entry into New Zealand are actually quite reasonable, unless you can find cheaper than 0$ anywhere else in the world. We also apologise unreservedly for the fact that the US economy turned to custard and your dollar is no longer worth 2 NZ$. Because NZ doesn't charge clearance fees we have to restrict services available to cruisers so sorry, we can't offer random boardings by jackbooted thugs from Government departments. Oh well, it would have been a great place for you to visit again but I don't think you would have appreciated it somehow.
BTW, all those whining about the loss of freedom. Did you not realise that freedom also comes with a measure of responsibility? Or are you too immersed in the gimme gimme generation.
+1 (to copy a trend!).

If someone can't cope with NZ (cost of living and / or officialdom) then gonna struggle in most other places - except perhaps home waters, and that likely only due to familiarity rather than reality.

Admittedly been a decade or so since I was last in NZ, but probably the nicest place I have ever visited (sans boat though - only sailing was on Lake Taupo ).........and mostly that to do with locals .

Seems that for a foreign vessel that the only official requirement is not to look like a POS and an accident (SAR) waiting to happen. Boat and Skipper. I struggle to see how the bar could be any lower , albeit in the UK the bar is probably lower, at least for us locals......where's my lilo? - USA here I come .
Old 29-06-2013, 02:48   #266

Boat: Ganley 43ft steel yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
most country's ask you for check out papers, as what i have learned by studying. thats why you must check out of USA before going other places.
this is via noonsite.
No advance notice is required before arriving in the US by sailing boat, nor is there any requirement to check out or get clearance when leaving - at least not in the last 2 years when we've done both three times. You will be randomly intimated by huge black RIBs with gun totting dudes with dark glasses pointing them at you as you approach.

HOWEVER - once you are in US waters you will be subject to a nanny state that makes New Zealand look like the bastion of the free world

For example you will have to phone customs and report your details (movements, POB, last port, next port and a collection of other random stuff they sometimes ask for) within a few hours of arriving at any customs port (which is pretty much any port with a decent sized town). When we arrived in Wrangell at 9pm on 4th July in the middle of the fireworks and left phoning until the next morning I was warned if I reported late again I would get the book thrown at me.

You will also have petty officials such as State Troopers threatening you with "citations" for the wierdest things - we got one for not having our dinghy/tender registered and displaying its ID numbers. Apparently in many states EVERY boat including your 12ft tender to your yacht has to be registered separately - explaining that home in New Zealand neither a larger boat nor its tender need to be registered in any way, and no you do not need a license to "drive" the boat either, was unbelievable to him.

And we had to have "placards" placed in prominent places inside the boat about oil disposal and sewage disposal that conformed to some particular strict wording.

You need a license for everything is US - it appears to be the most regulated country in the world - certainly more than any other we have visited in 7 years of world cruising. You even need a license to fish in the sea! And that costs $145 for a year in Alaska (compare that with New Zealand - $nil) - varies in each state.

Of course we were foreigners in the USA and have to play by their rules. Everybody other than the officials that we met were the most wonderfully friendly and generous people you could imagine and we loved our two and half seasons in US waters.
Old 29-06-2013, 08:07   #267

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:

the simple rule is; if you're getting away with the good ****, you keep your head down and your trap shut. Kiwis understand this for the most part as a matter of course. Nothing buggers up a good lurk quicker than a whinger with a sense of entitlement. If you dont know how to nudge and wink at least shut up and dont muck it up for the rest of us. As a previous poster pointed out, 100s of boats come and go through Opua, nobody bothers them 'cos they know how to sniff the air.
Old 29-06-2013, 08:24   #268

Pohopetch, was all that in California?
Old 29-06-2013, 10:44   #269

Boat: Ganley 43ft steel yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill View Post
Pohopetch, was all that in California?
West coast and Alaska - haven't been to the other side. Have heard whole cruising permit thing is a nightmare in Florida too. Canada (BC, Yukon, NWT and Nunivut) much more laid back (apart from one top to bottom boat search near Vancouver).

I forgot to mention being stopped for not wearing PFD's in the dinghy when going 200 yards from anchored boat to dock inside a harbour. Threatened with citation at $200 per person then let off as long as I went back to the yacht on my own and got enough life jackets for all of us and brought them back to the dock while the State Trooper watched and then checked them. There is a hot debate in NZ at the moment about proposals to introduce compulsory wearing of PFDs - the US already has that! How do you define a nanny state?
Old 29-06-2013, 10:50   #270

All I can do is shake my head anymore. There are so many laws on the books it isn't even funny. The "Good Idea Fairy" is everywhere.
Closed Thread