Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2019, 22:39   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: What is your experience after switching to Dyneema Standing rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
curious - you have a link to the non-locking Brummel you are referencing? Is it just the weaving back and forth of one strand/end (rather than the alternate strands/ends in the locking version)?
This is the Brummel Splice I use on my sheets. The ends of the line are equal length rather than one short end. Doing it this way means the sheets are dedicated to the sail which is no big deal with roller furling where you typically only have one or two headsails for coastal sailing. Apparently it's a locking splice according to the video.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F&&FORM=VDRVRV

The inverted loop eyes with buried tail are what I thought were locking Brummel Splices.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C&&FORM=VDRVRV
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 23:38   #32

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Both links give me the error page. Wrong links or is bing down?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:30   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Apparently it's a locking splice according to the video.

The inverted loop eyes with buried tail are what I thought were locking Brummel Splices.
ah, yea, ok, the first is the original way to make a locked brummel, where you need access to both ends.

The second is more recent, commonly called the McDonald Brummel Splice because it was developed by Margie McDonald, is a clever way to make it using only one end. It does distort the fibers more than the above version, not by a huge amount, but really careful load testing suggests you lose a little bit more strength.

I've said this before, but there is rarely a (sound engineering) reason to use a Brummel lock on a spliced loop. Best practice is to always lock stitch the bury, no matter how you have made the splice, and that will 'lock' the splice totally satisfactorily. And the brummel then just loses you some strength, not a huge amount, but you are essentially just throwing away some margin. Yes, it is not a huge issue, it is just something which weakens the rope for pretty much no gain.

There are perhaps a very few specific applications where using a Brummel makes some sense, these are usually applications where you can't do a bury in the exact right place for various reasons. In these applications, you should do more than the normal 2 passes of the Brummel. If you do 5 to 8 passes you get a very compact 'splice' which is about as strong as a really really shitty bury (say around 80%).
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 13:39   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Both links give me the error page. Wrong links or is bing down?
Changed the links in my post above. Hopefully they will work now.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema, enc, rigging