Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2015, 10:54   #16

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Re: Topside Paint

I'm not familiar with this 'perfection' - we don't have it here but reading these posts i wish we did! No need to tip?! I've had great results with the dupont imron. No need to prime awlgrip but as others have said surface preparation is key. It's much more forgiving than awlgrip when it comes to atmospheric conditions, gives a finish that is excellent and the best part is that if you screw up a bit you can simply sand your screw-up and then buff it to blend it in.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 14:10   #17

Boat: Tayana 47

Interesting thread. I've been thinking of doing the same thing a few years from now ever since last September when I flew with a guy with a steel boat who painted it himself. He used a one part paint that he rolled on with 4" wide foam rollers. He recommended rolling it vertically to avoid sags. He did not tip it, just thin coats with the rollers. He said it came out great and anytime he gets a scratch while cruising, he can get in his dinghy and prep/repaint that area on a calm day in a nearly dust free environment so a couple hours later nobody can tell there was ever a mark. After paying over $10K for an awlgrip paint job several years ago, this sounds like an extremely sensible approach for a cruising boat to me.

I'm subscribing to this thread and will be interested in hearing how the OP's paint job comes out and any recommendations he has for painting, especially over Awlgrip.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 14:57   #18

Boat: Dragon

Indeed! Not everyone wants or needs a glass like finish. 2 parts are expensive, time consuming and sometimes not the most practical thing to have.
There are some decent 1 parts out there like Toplac and Brightside. Just realise that the lifespan of the finish will be considerably shorter than a well finished 2 part.
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 10:46   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Perfection is an Interlux 2-part paint. It's expensive - about $75 a quart. If you have large areas, no need to tip. Just roll it. It gives a slight orange-peel finish, but really nice.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 16:08   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Having rolled/brushed both Awlgrip and Perfection, my vote is with Awlgrip. Perfection doesn't hide so well and is more prone to running and sagging. It was really frustrating paint to work with in that regard.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint