Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2015, 19:54   #1

Boat: 44 Lafitte
Topside Paint

I have a boat which I know was once spray painted with awlgrip.

The topside paint is actually in decent shape... it's just the wrong color.
The boat is currently in dry dock, and I'd like to give it a new topside paint, and bottom job.

All I know is it was sprayed with awlgrip...

Can I simply give it a light sanding and roll tip 2 part awlgrip polyurethane paint? Do I need to prime it? I know I should... the thing is, the hull is painted dark, and I want to put a new dark paint over it. Primers will be light. I suppose it ultimately depends on the shape the hull is in.

I'd love advice for types of paint, brands, and methods for applying
gathem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 13:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: topside paint

What paint are you going to use? If it's say, Perfection, drop a note on Interlux's forum, and they will let you know. I suspect just wax removal (this is important), and then sanding with 220.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 13:45   #3

Thanks bstreep!

I don't know what type of paint to use to be honest.
I only know it has awlgrip on it now, and I want to do a roll tip.
Being a noob painter (on boats at least) I want to choose whatever paint system will give an amatuer the best results.
Old 22-01-2015, 13:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fair enough. I think most folks feel like, for a 2 part paint, Interlux Perfection is the most forgiving, especially for newbies. As I said, jump on Interlux's forum, and tell them what you are trying to do. The are a GREAT resource, and very good at responding quickly. I would plan on simply rolling (not tipping) everywhere you can. Here's a link to our huge project:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-96573.html
Old 22-01-2015, 14:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

We apply Awlgrip over Awlgrip all the time. Just make sure you sand thoroughly with 320 grit, and wash/wipe the dust off very well. I'm not sure how other paints stick to Awlgrip, but if you can afford the real deal, it's the best yacht paint I know of, durability-wise.
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 14:03   #6

Thank you both for the advice.

I have heard that interlux perfection is very forgiving. This is a highly sought after property for a boat painted by a newbie. However... I am not sure if there will be compatibility issues between awlgrip & interlux.

Do you know if awlgrip is very forgiving?
Old 22-01-2015, 14:55   #7

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

As the others have suggested, the substrate is the key. If it's solid and clean of contaminants, you are halfway there. Just practice on a hatch or a badly damaged section. Treat the practice coats as primer, then make your best effort on the finish coat.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 16:35   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gathem View Post
Do you know if awlgrip is very forgiving?
Ask Interlux. They own both Perfection and Awlgrip.

http://www.yachtpaintforum.com/
Old 22-01-2015, 17:06   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

For two part paints, there's some degree of wizardry involved in order to get that glossy perfection. Much of it having to do with environmental conditions, which outdoors, change as the day progresses. That's why the serious painters have climate controlled shops, & roll the boats in for painting. In addition to the nice part about there being little to no dust in said shops. Unlike general yard space.

And not to confuse the issue, but some folks/painters prefer Imron, a different 2-part paint system, used on cars a lot IIRC. It's a good option, knock on wood.
Plus there are the one part Poly's, which are the easiest to use, especially for non-spray applications. Such as Interlux's Brightside. Although they're not quite as durable as the 2-part paints, but are cheaper (& simpler). So one needs to balance cost, & ease of use, vs. a very pricey, magical, mirror like finish which lasts.

The wax removal tip is KEY. As is proper prep. And with some "waxes" you have to get pretty darned aggressive to remove them (sic). Especially as sanding them in to the current paint would definitely be Bad JuJu.
Also, not leaving lint behind when doing the pre-paint, dust wipe down is important as well. Although I don't recall the "recipe" to do such, sans static, which attracts the lint.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 19:13   #10

Boat: Dragon

Yes you can paint Perfection over Awlgrip. As with most things, proper planning and preparation is the key. You will need to thoroughly clean the hull before you start sanding otherwise all you'll do is sand dirt/polish etc into the hull. Use denatured alcohol on rags that have not been laundered in detergent.

320 grit and a sanding machine will do the trick. Be very very thorough.Once you get up close and personal with the hull you will start finding all sorts of imperfections in the existing paint. Scratches and dings will need to be either filled,faired and primed or if not too deep 545 primer might do the trick in filling these.

Once properly sanded and cleaned you can paint direct on to the Awlgrip without priming. However painting on primer is always better...

I would recommend for an outdoor roll and tip application, that you use Awlcraft 2000. This paint is a little more forgiving than Awlgrip and Perfection. Being out doors there will be dust in your paint work and as a noob you will probably have some runs/sags, Awlcraft is designed to be wet sanded and buffed out. This will remove the dust and sags giving you a glass finish.

Avoid painting in direct sunlight and don't paint on a humid day and defiantly don't paint if it's windy. Early morning is best. For outside painting it's sometimes worth getting a hose and wetting the area around the boat to keep dust down.
You are probably looking at a minimum of 3 coats probably more...Always sand between coats otherwise you'll miss big sections out and any mistakes from the previous coat will just be compounded.

It's hugely rewarding stepping back at the end and marvelling at a good paint job.
Good luck!

Ps. Use a proper mask. This stuff will mess you up.
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 19:41   #11

I agree with the careful wax removal, but just wanted to mention that no one should be waxing awl grip in the first place. It's specifically advised against in the care instructions, as it traps dirt which causes wear. Also the heat of machine buffing can damage the finish.

Awlgrip should be regularly washed with Awlwash, then sealed with Awlcare, not wax. Unlike wax, Awlcare actually provides some protection to the finish.

Man I was so pissed when the yard waxed my Awlgrip top sides. What a mess it was.
Old 22-01-2015, 19:44   #12

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
Yes you can paint Perfection over Awlgrip. As with most things, proper planning and preparation is the key. You will need to thoroughly clean the hull before you start sanding otherwise all you'll do is sand dirt/polish etc into the hull. Use denatured alcohol on rags that have not been laundered in detergent.

320 grit and a sanding machine will do the trick. Be very very thorough.Once you get up close and personal with the hull you will start finding all sorts of imperfections in the existing paint. Scratches and dings will need to be either filled,faired and primed or if not too deep 545 primer might do the trick in filling these.

Once properly sanded and cleaned you can paint direct on to the Awlgrip without priming. However painting on primer is always better...

I would recommend for an outdoor roll and tip application, that you use Awlcraft 2000. This paint is a little more forgiving than Awlgrip and Perfection. Being out doors there will be dust in your paint work and as a noob you will probably have some runs/sags, Awlcraft is designed to be wet sanded and buffed out. This will remove the dust and sags giving you a glass finish.

Avoid painting in direct sunlight and don't paint on a humid day and defiantly don't paint if it's windy. Early morning is best. For outside painting it's sometimes worth getting a hose and wetting the area around the boat to keep dust down.
You are probably looking at a minimum of 3 coats probably more...Always sand between coats otherwise you'll miss big sections out and any mistakes from the previous coat will just be compounded.

It's hugely rewarding stepping back at the end and marvelling at a good paint job.
Good luck!

Ps. Use a proper mask. This stuff will mess you up.
He nailed it, just remember if you use a high build primer to fill any spot repair, you have to 545 in gray primer, I think 3008 over the high build or sanding primer. I've seen some guys who don't want to listen say oh you can just paint over the sanding primer. NO NO. Wet sand final coat up to 1200. You don't need to go any higher. 3m fine polishing compound, pink bottle with a wheel and finish up with anti swirl mark compound. If you follow your wet sand with a squeegie, you can really see what your doing. Hose the ground off like he mentioned and don't try to paint at the ultra low temp of 55. Even cold temp activator won't help if you don't know what your doing.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 19:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Ask Interlux. They own both Perfection and Awlgrip.

http://www.yachtpaintforum.com/
Well, Akzo Nobel owns both Interlux, the makers of Perfection, and Awlgrip. Tatar motors owns Jaguar. Doesn't make them experts on repair of an AJ27 motor.
Old 23-01-2015, 09:35   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Topside Paint

Just a quick note about primer. The primer for Perfection does not go on smoothly. At all. If it's OK to paint directly over the paint without a primer, and you are using Perfection, that's what I would do.
Old 23-01-2015, 09:39   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Well, Akzo Nobel owns both Interlux, the makers of Perfection, and Awlgrip. Tatar motors owns Jaguar. Doesn't make them experts on repair of an AJ27 motor.
Really Mark? Nice trollish comment.

The guys at yachtpaint.com are thoroughly versed in boat paint. My point is that they know more than almost everyone over here on this forum. Why not ask the experts.

Tags
paint