Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2009, 06:35   #16

Boat: Southern Cross 39 - sv Kristali
As an alternative to "painting over interior teak option" you might want to consider bleaching the teak to a lighter color, then varnish. Also using gloss varnish on the trim increases reflection and adds contrast, same goes for using a semigloss varnish on bulkheads instead of satin, replacing sliding doors (galley, head) w/ white plastic, using white formica or a light colored wood (such as oak) for table tops... these are some of the choices I have made in order to minimize the dark look but maintain warmth and beauty of natural wood interior.

Steve
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 07:27   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
add more lighting .. don't paint the wood. there are plenty of white coffins also out there.
Old 13-12-2009, 15:45   #18

Boat: contessa 32
When you are in bright sunshine day after day (anywhere, not just in the tropics) it is very refreshing to have a cool and (somewhat) darker place to retreat to just to get away from the constant glare or take a nap.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 18:07   #19

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
As James S mentioned, if you want to paint the teak the first thing to do is varnish it. That makes it a lot easier to remove the paint later if you want to. By the way, I once did exactly that on my old gaff rigger. It made the interior much more enjoyable, and when I sold her the new owner expressed zero interest in changing it back.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 19:36   #20

Boat: Westsail 32
If you really MUST paint the teak, do yourself or the next owner a favor, and give the teak a coat of varnish first, then paint over the varnish. Makes later paint removal very easy with a heat gun and very little sanding needed. Otherwise, at removal time (and there will be a removal time, I guarantee it), the removalist will curse you forever.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 06:32   #21

Boat: Irwin 40
I know we are sort of stealing this thread and it is moving a bit off topic but I wanted to add a couple of thoughts.

First I tend to agree with mark in that teak is becoming more rare and will be worth more as time goes on. I personally would not paint for that reason alone. Paint can be removed but in my experience teak has an open grain and the paint tends to get into it. Solid teak is not so much of a problem but it is almost impossible to sand paint off veneer without burning thru it. So I still say paper or vinyl wall covering is a good alternative. There are many good vinyls that hold up well and clean easy, and no I would not use red velvet lol.

And for those who want to stick to teak but are finding it hard to come by you might want to consider Afromosia instead. This is an African wood that looks like teak and has similar properties. Admittedly it is not as good but it is much cheaper and not a bad substitute. I have used it as trim on top of teak and it is hard to tell the difference.
Afromosia (Pericopsis elata)

For those of you that paint over teak a pox on you lol Now I can understand if the panels are water stained or otherwise damaged but to paint over perfectly good teak is a crime. Styles come and go but good natural wood will always be in demand. If you must cover it do it in a way you can go back.

Just my humble opinion

Fair winds

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 06:43   #22

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Please dont pain over teak for many reasons and its like capturing a wild bird and keeping it in a cage. Its meant to be wild and your teak should breath, not be suffocated by paint.
Find another way to lighten it up.
Old 14-12-2009, 07:04   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Although it is not traditional to paint over teak bulkheads, it is traditional to have white bulkheads with teak trim. I prefer this lighter, cheerier, traditional look. It also makes it easier to see below deck because less of the light is absorbed into the dark wood.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 16:07   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Well,

You have gotten all kinds of advice. Some of it good, and some of it bad. Only you can decide which was good, and which was bad. Remember this is your vessel, and everytime you step aboard. It should be you that smiles. Not some one else! You paid for her, so you get to decide. BEST WISHES in making the decision that pleases you.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 16:31   #25

Boat: Manta 40
We have friend with an Irwin 43 which is all wood down below. Ours is a cat with big windows and lots of white. When we go on their boat we go"Wow, it's so cozy and homey" but when they come on our boat they say "Wow, is so bright and airy".

So instead of covering the teak just spend some time on a brite white boat and you'll get sick of it and appreciate your teak. We actually have plans to remodel ours to include more wood, there is a balance.
Old 14-12-2009, 16:44   #26

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
I am planning on making the large teak bulkheads white or off-white on my boat. They are water stained and damaged in areas, some big enough to have to replace sections of the bulkheads. I figure it will need some sort of uniform coating such as paint after all of the repairs. However, how would formica do as a bulkhead surface?
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 16:48   #27

Boat: Beneteau 456
A matter of taste...

I guess its a matter of taste but I wouldn't do it. I would try to improve the lighting instead. It would be a sin to paint a beautiful teak interior.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 17:29   #28

Two or three coats of varnish before painting will give you, or a new owner, the option of going back.

Mike
Mike156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 19:20   #29

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
How about copying this one?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...een-34041.html

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 04:10   #30

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
I'd try a few other things first:

1. Upgrade your lighting - now with LED's being so efficient you can increase the lumens and still use less power;
2. Look at changing the upholstery and port covers to lighter, brighter colours;
3. Think about adding another hatch or portlights.

Teak is beautiful.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote