Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 08:36   #1

Sikkens Cetol Gloss Finish as base

All,

I hired a guy to sand and cetol the caprails and trim pieces on my Tayana 37. I am using Sikkens Cetol. Although I had told him to apply two coats of Natural followed by 2-3 coats of Gloss, he decided to "seal" it with just Gloss over the bare, sanded teak as the initial coat. Why? I have no idea.

My question is, what are the consequences of applying the Gloss as the first coat? I have read that adherence and flaking may be an issue. Has anyone tried Cetol Gloss, followed by Natural coats, followed by Gloss again? Not really sure what to do from here. It's taken a month just to get him to sand and put on the first coat (incorrectly I might add).

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug
dmorseschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 08:49   #2

Re: Sikkens Cetol Gloss Finish as base

Seems a little odd but no direct experience from me. I've become a bit of a Cetol convert, especially when the gloss and natural-teak color were introduced. Back in the days of the orange-plastic colors it was pretty gross.

I have the best results from sanding, the 216 product (noxious stuff), and then light coats of Cetol. Thick coats form liquid bubbles which never really dry on the inside.

The gloss however tends to go on a lot thicker. Not silly-thick, but maybe 2x the amount of Cetol one might have used.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 09:26   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

There may be method to his madness. This may help the coat not get so cloudy, when it is time for maintenance. It will not hurt, it may be a good thing. Did you ask him for his reasons? Ask about other boats he has done this on.
Old 18-09-2013, 04:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

FWIW I have been using Cetol refinishing my Cap Rail on a Cabo Rico 38. I first apply a coat of water based Fasco UV 25 varnish to the bare teak after sanding down to 220 grit.Then scuff with fine Bronze Wool. Then apply Cetol light 3 coats followed by 2 coats of clear waiting 24 hours between coats. I lightly rub down with a Scotch bright pad and wipe with Mineral Sprits between coats. I find the Cetol lays out smoother and more evenly. Some areas have been on for over a year with no sigh of break down.I am in S Fl.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 05:33   #5

I can't really say if it's best to put the gloss down first so maybe contacting Cetol might be good. What I can say is my experience in using the Cetol product over the years on my Tayana 37. The natural color is much better than the old mud color and the orange "light" cetol that I've used in the past. I started fresh sanding off the old dark cetol(with the help of a heat gun) and then applying 3 coats of the natural. I did not use the gloss at all thinking that flaking might be a problem. However, I learned that the gloss top layer actually provides more UV protection that just the regular satin coats so I ended up a year or so later applying the gloss. Now on the annual maintenance I just recoat with the gloss.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote