Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2019, 10:46   #31

Re: SeaHawk Bottom Paint - **CKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don’t feel like arguing with you and there is little doubt you are just looking to be some “expert” to the point of doing research looking for your chance.

I can’t help you if you can’t read. I did everything by Seahawks directions and even checked with them ahead of time.

Cukote can be boosted with a pint of BioCop per gal of Cukote. That leaves a lot of BioCop left over and this was applied over the Cukote. Seahawk approved this to me.

The barnacles are growing right on the final coat of BioCop, which is their top paint.
I used Biocop 2 coats in LI sound. I got 4 years without hard fouling. When I hauled the bottom was still free of hard fouling. Did have a diver clean 3-4 times a summer and her didn't report any hard fouling.
Sailorlady323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 16:27   #32

Boat: Hatteras Yachtfish 58'

I have used Seahawk Paints for over 12 years and have always been satisfied with the paint I used. In August I launched with 2 coats of BioCop TF. The boat was near Delray Beach Florida from then until October and did not leave the slip. The diver went down on her November 9th. His report was "grassy growth and slime". By the way he replaced two "R-4" zincs on my trim tabs after only 3 months.
I moved the boat to Marathon in the Florida Keys arriving November 16th. Again, the boat did not leave the slip until about 10 days ago. At the middle of March I had the bottom cleaned. The diver said there was "heavy grass and slime". All the zincs were okay. Interesting, 3 months and I needed to replace 2 trim tab zincs in 3 months but in Marathon, I didn't need any zincs after an additional 4 months. That meant most of the zincs were 7 months old. On April 12th I moved the boat with Grassy growth and slime around the sides of the hull that I could see to Lake Worth Inlet by Palm Beach. When I got there, there was NO grassy growth or slime on the sides of my hull. I guess it all washed off going 10 or 11 knots. So, In my experience, location does matter on paint and zincs.

I also used SeaHawk barrier Coat 6 years ago and have had no issues. Their local reps have been very responsive to all of my calls. I was respectful and curious to them and I was not an A__hole with them. They have been helpful and never left me with an issue.

But, to each his own!
tomrealest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 21:28   #33
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Amongst all the other reasons I never recommend Sea Hawk products to my customers is the fact that their entire executive team did prison time a few years ago because of the crimes they committed against their customers and the U.S. government. Maybe you don't have a problem doing business with people like that, but I do.

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus...d-coating-case
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 04:02   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

The Massachusetts rep called me yesterday, because I have a NH phone number. He lost interest when he found out I was in Florida. Said he would refer it to the FL rep so I will see if that person even calls.

Meanwhile I was under the boat yesterday. More barnacle coverage that I initially thought and it took a scraper to get them off.
Old 23-04-2019, 13:43   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

See if you can take a picture to send them of the growth.
I’d be interested to see what they say.
I wasn’t happy with Cukote myself, but had a better experience than you have.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 14:28   #36

Quote:
I applied 3 gals of Seahawk CuKote and 1 gal of SeaHawk BioCop to my hull between Feb 8-13, 2019. Now it is only April 21, 2019 and I have barnacles all over the hull! So that's 2 months and 1 week on $980 worth on what is suppose to be their upper end and best bottom paints.

While they have a warranty, it is written so it would never cover a DIYer. So even though I send them a comment I expect nothing and even if they covered it, it still would be completely unacceptable.

JUst thought I would share.
Neighbor has 2 coats on for 18 months. Easy to wipe off a few barnacles every other month and slime wipes off with brush. All in southern Florida.
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 14:30   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Amongst all the other reasons I never recommend Sea Hawk products to my customers is the fact that their entire executive team did prison time a few years ago because of the crimes they committed against their customers and the U.S. government. Maybe you don't have a problem doing business with people like that, but I do.

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus...d-coating-case
Good for them! Still trying to help out boaters in spite of the wacky doodles at the EPA....!
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 14:35   #38

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I applied Seahawk 44 Hard last year, within 3 month the paint dissolved, water paint!
I know of another 3 boats with the same results. Same paint, different color.
My friends boat was repainted, seahawk paid for the lift, paint, apply paint and relaunch.
3 month later the paint is almost gone!
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 04:26   #39

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

Several years ago we had our bottom stripped, barrier coat put on, and the yard put on Seahawk CuKote. Two years later we pulled the boat to repaint and the bottom was great. That year I didn't have time so I had the yard (different yard) paint the bottom and told them to use CuKote because I was happy with the performance. Less than a year later, the bottom was coated with barnacles. Now, granted, we didn't use the boat much that year, but I've never seen growth like that. The same yard put CuKote on a little power boat we had and again, less than a year later, barnacles.

I called SeaHawk and they said that it sounded to them like it was put on too thin. Last year, I painted both boats myself. The power boat with CuKote but I switched to Jamestown Spartan on the sailboat. Both boats look fine from what I can tell so far. So, what SeaHawk told me may be correct since it worked great, then lousy when I had someone else do it, and then looks like great again. Just wanted to pass along my experience.
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:17   #40
CLOD

So the Western Florida rep asked me "Please explain your process in cleaning your boat."

I don't really understand what this has to do with the new paint allowing hard growth in the 2 weeks it had been since I had last looked.

But, I told him it wouldn't wipe/rub off and it took a scraper to get the growth off.
Old 02-05-2019, 16:10   #41
CLOD

Quote:
I applied 3 gals of Seahawk CuKote and 1 gal of SeaHawk BioCop to my hull between Feb 8-13, 2019. Now it is only April 21, 2019 and I have barnacles all over the hull! So that's 2 months and 1 week on $980 worth on what is suppose to be their upper end and best bottom paints.

While they have a warranty, it is written so it would never cover a DIYer. So even though I send them a comment I expect nothing and even if they covered it, it still would be completely unacceptable.

Just thought I would share.
I send comment to Seahawk the same day I posted this. Their latest response:

"Ray Surdyk
5:43 PM (1 hour ago)
So you don’t clean your hull on a monthly basis?"

Anyone other than me see where this is headed?
Old 02-05-2019, 16:51   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’d answer back yes, I clean my hull as required as the paint ages and depending on location it may be more frequent than once a month.
However I’ve never, ever had to clean brand new paint in 30 days.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 17:36   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydrv View Post
Good for them! Still trying to help out boaters in spite of the wacky doodles at the EPA....!
Just so I understand, if one happens to disagree with a law then it's not only fine to break it but we should applaud those who do? And you do understand, the EPA was enforcing a law passed by Congress and signed by the President? Are you advocating for them to what, refuse to do the job they're paid to do?

Have you thought about how this philosophy on life would work out if we all followed it? I mean Anarchy was cool back in high school when you could be a rebel by drawing the symbol on all your stuff, but at some point most of us realized it's not terribly pleasant to live under. Are you posting from Somalia by chance, I hear there's a healthy disrespect of all authority there it it's working out smashingly for them!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 18:54   #44

6 gallons SeaHawk Biocop TF applied Jan. 2017 - 43' cat, bottom cleaned monthly since, no problems, SW Florida.

Yes, bottom cleaning is important.
OldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:16   #45

Hey SailorBoy,

When you get a chance, would you please update us as to how things worked out for you? From what BenBow suggests, I expect you'll get a proactive response from the Sea Hawk Company - which is why we choose (sorry for speaking for all, here) with privately owned companies - those that remain.

Once you've had a chance to reflect on the various feedbacks, I'd also be curious to know if you found that any of them applied to you? For instance, Paul L's tip about anchoring-versus-moving. When you looked back over that period of time, did you, in fact, find that you *had* spent more time at anchor than underway?

Also, I'm curious about how 'dug-in' the barnacles were. Again, as BenBow suggests, were they ultimately easily dislodged?

I also learned something: I didn't know about the "light-brushing" step in order to open up the paint.

Anyway, once you've taken stock, it would be great to hear further.

Good luck with your mitigation steps, SailorBoy,
Warmly,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint