Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2012, 05:42   #241
Nia

Boat: was 17' Thistle, currently looking
Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Wowa! That's a floor jack! That would be pretty extreme on a 30'-40' boat. Maybe you could put it under your mast and jack the mast for head'n up wind.

Ya never know! Sometimes we have to think outa da box!

BTW here was my champ, Andy.

Even that small is too big? Well there is no way I am giving up my impact wrench!
Old 15-05-2012, 09:17   #242

KISS. The deeper you have to dig for the things you stored before you left, the rustier they are! I cant imagine ever needing a jack of any kind bad enough to carry it around... there are always options and other helpful people....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 11:02   #243
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nia View Post
Really, you mean I can keep it? The case, which also comes with an impact wrench (which I LOVE) is only 11"x27"x6". Its not big, honest. Even less room if I dump the case. I feel like Christmas again!

Thanks for the welcome by the way.
Nia
Delmarrey is clearly a Tool-aholic - he has not given you a valid reason to keep the Hydraulic Jack onboard, but he has given you a damn good excuse .

FWIW, I suspect that you too may be a Tool-aholic, given that only now do you let slip that it also comes with an impact wrench that you don't want to part with either .

If you keep them onboard odds are strong that you will never need them (IMO impact wrench the more likely of the two) - leave them ashore and you will probably end up cursing the internet based idjut who said use the storage space for something else ......but boats is all about choices, at the end of the day it is what works for you / makea you comfortable - or happy .

I suggest a compromise, keep them both until you later decide not to .

P.S. I have some Whitworth Sockets onboard - have not yet found any bolts / nuts onboard to use them on. But one day I might......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 16:12   #244

Boat: Alberg 22, Hampton (Cedar on mahogany)

Quote:
Question... This is going to sound way out there, but is there a need for a hydraulic jack on board? I have one that runs on 12 volt and I'd hate to give it up.

Even that small is too big? Well there is no way I am giving up my impact wrench!
Hi Nia!

A couple of on-board hydraulic tools that I've read about are for swaging the end fittings on wire or rod rigging and for cutting the same. Usually very expensive. Perhaps you could make a jig of some sort that - with the power from your jack - would serve that purpose?

Not sure if that qualifies as a valid reason or just a good excuse, but either way, it might make you feel better!

The impact wrench is pneumatic, yes? Then that would include the space, weight and maintenance of the compressor/pressure tank/regulator. At first glance, these might seem to be unnecessarily complicated and perhaps that's why I've never heard of cruising sailors installing compressed-air systems.

But I've often thought that in addition to the 12v batteries, it would be good to have an alternate form of energy storage. A pneumatic system could be very handy if the electricals were fried. It could drive a bilge pump or an anchor windlass; recharge a dive tank, crank-start the diesel or run any number of hand tools. And with little-to-no electrical or electronic corrosion vulnerabilities, I'd say it's worth considering.

So for now, keep the jack and impact wrench ready to go! But in the end, other priorities may supercede and you may want the space for other things.

It all comes down to cubic feet, eh? Before I bought my boat (1981 Alberg 22) I worked out a very rough estimate of the interior space that would be available and marked out that area in my bedroom at home. I ended up with a space not much more than my walk-in closet. I guess I won't be bringing my table saw, eh? But I won't need to bring the lawn mower either, so it all balances out.
Old 15-05-2012, 16:57   #245
Nia

I am NOT a toolaholic! she says, desperately clutching her impact wrench to her chest.

Okay, I admit it, I love tools. I should probably I mention I once had a date take me to Sears just so I could look at tools. If I had the money I would have a LOT of tools. I dont, so I have a few tools that have gotten me by so far. It has to do with my dad being a mechanic. There have always been tools around the house that I could use whenever I wanted, even if I barely knew how to use them. When my husband passed and my son took the tools, that came to an end. I didn't need a lot of tools, I just needed tools that I could use. These are my tools.

This is a 12 volt impact wrench. Sorry boys you assumed it came with all the pnuematic doodads and air compressors that are usually associated with impact wrenches. An easy assumption, but then, how often have you heard of a 12 volt hydraulic jack? I looked for something like this for 3 yrs before I found this set up. I have a hard time changing out the lugs on a tire. Mostly I was looking for the wrench, but the jack happened to come along with it. Some would be saying, why not wait for a guy to come along and change the tire for you. Where I drive it could be a couple of days before someone came down that road, or found me in the sage brush somewhere. I once walked 10 miles to get to the nearest house so I could use a phone when a water pump went out in my truck.

Since I have a hard time turning a wrench sometimes, having an impact wrench that will do the job for me is a pretty handy tool to have around. Therefore the 12 volt impact wrench (sans bulky air compressor) stays, unless you can find a very valid reason why it must go. Now tell me about my battery powered circular saw and jig saw. Boat or not?

Nia
Old 15-05-2012, 17:11   #246
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
When you have the right tool for the job life is great and repairs move quickly. I waste more time in workarounds than anything else...

You probably have to have worked as a mechanic in a fully stocked shop to understand.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 17:15   #247

Boat: Alberg 22, Hampton (Cedar on mahogany)

Quote:
Okay, I admit it, I love tools.... I didn't need a lot of tools, I just needed tools that I could use. These are my tools.

... Now tell me about my battery powered circular saw and jig saw. Boat or not?
Nia,

Bring 'em all! (And a few extra cans of WD-40 too )
Old 15-05-2012, 17:28   #248
Nia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todomi View Post
Hi Nia!
It all comes down to cubic feet, eh? Before I bought my boat (1981 Alberg 22) I worked out a very rough estimate of the interior space that would be available and marked out that area in my bedroom at home. I ended up with a space not much more than my walk-in closet. I guess I won't be bringing my table saw, eh? But I won't need to bring the lawn mower either, so it all balances out.
That is a good idea Todomi. I usually go light and compact myself so that will be easy to do. I know, many of you are shaking your head at this crazy woman who is insisting on taking tools she wont need with her. It could be worse, it could be nicknacks! Or make-up! Blow dryers! Now tell me you didn't have a hard time leaving some tools behind...
Nia
Old 15-05-2012, 17:31   #249
Nia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
When you have the right tool for the job life is great and repairs move quickly. I waste more time in workarounds than anything else...

You probably have to have worked as a mechanic in a fully stocked shop to understand.
Old 15-05-2012, 17:34   #250
Nia

Talking Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todomi View Post
Nia,

Bring 'em all! (And a few extra cans of WD-40 too )
and Blaster 50... for those things WD40 cant handle.
Old 15-05-2012, 18:33   #251

the nice thing about living aboard for a year or two before you go is that you learn what you really need; That special stuffing box wrench, odd socket to reach that one hard thing, thin wrench to get in that thin bolt head, bilge retrieval magnet or "grabba grabba's". Small vacuum. etc. If you dont use it in a year or two, you can live without it and figure it out in a pinch.... besides, you can always borrow from Delmarray or Nick!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 19:07   #252
Nia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
the nice thing about living aboard for a year or two before you go is that you learn what you really need; That special stuffing box wrench, odd socket to reach that one hard thing, thin wrench to get in that thin bolt head, bilge retrieval magnet or "grabba grabba's". Small vacuum. etc. If you dont use it in a year or two, you can live without it and figure it out in a pinch.... besides, you can always borrow from Delmarray or Nick!

Does that mean Delmarray and Nick follow along behind me in case I need a tool? Or even better, they can cart all the tools and I can sit back and snorkel while they fix my boat!
Old 15-05-2012, 22:06   #253

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
That is a good idea Todomi. I usually go light and compact myself so that will be easy to do. I know, many of you are shaking your head at this crazy woman who is insisting on taking tools she wont need with her. It could be worse, it could be nicknacks! Or make-up! Blow dryers! Now tell me you didn't have a hard time leaving some tools behind...
Nia
Where were you 30 years ago?
I guess I am a tool-alholic. My double garage is packed with tool boxes and machines. But that's why I can (re-) build a custom/personalized boat. In building this thing I keep on board or made a note of every tool that is need to totally dismantle or repair the boat if I have to. I plan on heading to the S. Pac. and being self sufficient requires ones own resources and skills.
My ex boss wants to buy all the tools I don't take with me. It'll be hard to part with them after all these years.
Old 16-05-2012, 02:50   #254
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
Except things like the 37mm or 43mm prop nut socket. If you pitch that, the. When you eventually need it you get to embark on what I call the boat repair treasure hunt.

Keep the special sizes and special tools...

The band saw, table saw and planeing table not so much. I know a guy replacing a fair bit of wood with hand saws right now. He's trading time for the convenience of power tools.

On the other hand, when I was working I could drive screws by hand all day. Today a screw gun/ nut driver is priceless. Muscles, use 'em or lose 'em.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 03:01   #255
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you dont use it in a year or two, you can live without it and figure it out in a pinch....
+1 (leaving aside any "special tools" that are known to have a purpose on the boat).

Certainly I would not get rid of any tools until the boat was bought and was good to go - and even then de-tooling (is that a word?!) more of a process than a one off event. For some it may be a 12 step process - possibly requiring an intervention (no names ).

Quote:
besides, you can always borrow from Delmarray or Nick!
Being able to borrow is not something to rely on - for some asking to borrow a tool is akin to asking for a "Go" on their wife (or husband?). Not to say that ain't possible as for some the latter more likely to get an OK than the former .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, DOJ, refit, Refurb