Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14   #466

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

Steve, your work is excellent and you should be justly proud of your efforts. I'm pretty sure you are aware of this, but for other CT owners, keep an eye on your cabinsides below the portlights. I had three CT-41s on my dock. All of them had developed dry rot from fresh water leaks immediately below the cabinside portlights, and needed extensive repair. If they had only pulled the "windows" and sealed the plywood edges of the cutouts, they would have been much happier campers. One ended up removing the entire cabin and replacing it, then later doing the same to the decks. Those freshwater leaks can't be tolerated in any boat.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39   #467

Thank you for all of the replies. I am not a boat owner yet, I am looking at a few 40 ft sailboats that are in decent shape. However, a rambling thought crossed my mind while I was looking at a listing that said the boat needed interior cosmetic work that I might be able to renovate the interior. Now after reading the responses I accept the fact that I cannot so I move on to another listing.

I would be comfortable rewiring working electrical system and engine work maybe painting although I've never worked with marine paints - I did recently stay at a Holiday Inn Express so I feel empowered.

Thanks again for all of the replies.
GreyBeardVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 20:38   #468

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

GreyBeardVA, The only marine paint that might require you to read instructions is linear polyurethane, a two part catalyzed finish that can be brushed or sprayed. It's expensive, but unbeatable for a lasting exterior finish. For interiors, consider Brightside single part polyurethanes. They are just a tougher finish than what you are probably used to.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 13:54   #469
cruiser

Not sure where you're based, but I've heard these guys on the east coast are really helpful at helping you buy a boat and general management of it after, perhaps they can help guide you - Yacht Management Services
Aprylle
Aprylle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:51   #470

Boat: CT-41

For you folks thinking about remodeling/refitting your boat - particularly changing the galley - I am in the middle of that project as I post this. I am putting up a daily detailed series of blog posts on this project from start to finish, including all the little stuff we seldom see, so you who are considering something similar, but have little or no experience can see what is really involved. Click on the Mystique Blog link on the signature.
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 20:29   #471

I haven't read all (32 pages!) of the comments yet,
but my daughter and I spent several years
and more money than I care to think about
refurbishing a 27-foot "ready to sail away!" cruising boat.
Everything we looked at needed attention,
and underneath that was something rotten.
In the end, we literally gutted the boat
and ground the hull right back to fresh fibreglass, inside and out.
I guess you could say we *built* a boat.

But here's the thing-
in spite of many disappointments and frustrations,
we loved every day of that work
and we were immensely proud of the result!
I wouldn't trade those thousands of hours
of learning and working with my daughter
for a Pacific Seacraft fresh off the skids.

My advice is,
do not engage in a major project
unless you are prepared to enjoy the project itself.
And then remember to enjoy the process!
Shas Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 23:20   #472

Great reply, Shas Cho!

Almost a year into refitting my CT-41 and love every day of it.
Still have not moved it from the dock, but when I cross the bar, Mystique will be ready to sail anywhere in the world.
Old 22-11-2013, 08:35   #473

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

After reading the first couple pages, I asked my bf "Are we crazy??" He said, "About cruising??" I said "No...about fixing up a boat!" He shrugged and said, "Well...too late now." So I guess we'll see how it goes. [/QUOTE]

Crazy? Of course your crazy, you wouldn't have even considered it otherwise, but it's a good kind of crazy for all the right reasons. Most people have thought I was crazy all my life, now that their older and didn't do all the things I've done that they thought were crazy at time they have regrets of the "if only" type. The time to do it is always now, there's never a better time.
Sounds like you picked the boat for all the right reasons.
Look at working on it as "therapy", it takes a lot time, and money, your frustrated during the process and you come out of it more knowledgeable and satisfied.
Until of course you see one more thing you'd like to improve.........
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 09:40   #474

Not a moment of therapy! I don't have psychological problems.

I look at it as art, science, and philosophy. Love of craftsmanship, joy of constantly learning, and style of living much more rewarding than the daily drudgery of working a job you grew tired of years ago just to buy your way out - THAT is crazy. But I did not buy my boat to "go sailing" once in a while.

How about those who never work on their own boat, then head out to sea on a vessel they know nothing about? Isn't that crazy too?
Old 22-11-2013, 10:24   #475

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post
How about those who never work on their own boat, then head out to sea on a vessel they know nothing about? Isn't that crazy too?
Here is a quote from one of our more experienced members.
Quote:
From my observations....
'Yes..!' many folk do go over the top... as a delivery skipper I pick up boats and take them 1000's of miles that most would not consider safe enough to cross the English Channel in... but they're safe enough for us to sail..
In other cases I collect something near new and on successful delivery the owner promptly starts trying to improve a boat that I'd have been happy to sail as is for another 10,000miles.. its just down to the individuals personal fears and a fair proportion of in-experience..
The better mind set I feel is to be aware that at sea anything can fail.. even the 100% fail proof gear the latest magazine Ad's have shoved in your face...
Confidence will only come when you can assure yourself that no matter what fails if you cannot fix it.. you can get by without it.
Learn good seamanship, basic navigation techniques and get to know your boat... then maybe think about 'Techie Toys'... you'd be amazed how the list shrinks.
As to survival/safety gear in benign waters... that's getting nearly as amusing these days..
Sorry guys... Old Luddite Humour...
It's experience in boats that can make the difference. Some can just go aboard a vessel and look around to know whether the boat is sound and that goes along with knowing which make of boats that have proven them selves.

My boat spent the better part of 11 years sitting on the hard and that was a education, walking around the yard talking to people that work on their own boats. Some know what they were doing and others were oblivious and needed coaching.
There was one, this trimaran, that someone was working on and abandoned. So, it was auctioned off. The next guy worked on it for awhile and too abandoned it. So, it was auctioned again the third guy worked on it for a couple weeks and walked away. So the yard just crush it up.

It wasn't that bad once you looked real close. It's just that the people working on it were making it worse by their lack of knowledge. It was a plywood composite and we know what that can lead to....
The ribs and framing were all good. It's just the outer edges were rotting away and the hulls ply needed to be stripped and replaced. They bought cheap and hoped for a cheap repair. That's crazy!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uglytri1.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	70887  
Old 22-11-2013, 12:20   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
It was a thrill to see her new coat...
Wow.
On second thought,
WOW!
What a gorgeous paint job.
Very elegant.
A real head-turner.
Well done!
Shas Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 16:31   #477

Spent the last six months refurbing my endeavour 42 with my twelve year old son. Now we have an endeavour that is better than new and will be sailing tampa bay. Best idea I ever came up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131123_193059.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	70970   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131123_193129.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	70971  

Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 05:51   #478

Boat: Mariner 36' sloop

Great thread, exactly why I joined CF!
We are looking at buying a 1980 36' Mariner. This thread is providing great perspective to help focus our mindset on what our goals/expectations are. I love the comments: keep the water out, keep the engine running, get on the water & gain sailing experience. That's what it's all about for us.
Thanks
Backloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 06:41   #479
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

this is my 5th year on my formosa,land my 5th year refitting sporadically and i am again to engine malfunction..lol...
mebbe soon i will get engine perfect..lol...and then i can concentrate on fuel and water tankage and aesthetix...rodlmao...aesthetix is last.. form follows function....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 01:43   #480
Armchair Bucketeer

I give up! - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Forewarned is forearmed - no shame in going for a plan b, only an idiot sticks with a plan a thar is not working.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, DOJ, refit, Refurb