Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2012, 06:52   #376
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
The previous owner of Mildred Rose, made a list, budget, planned everything out...in the end it all went out the window! Boat is so incredible now, I am afraid to modify it!
Looks great! .........is it a Hunter?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 08:44   #377

Beautiful! Will she stay that way??
Jaxxiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 09:50   #378
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Beautiful Boat...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 10:19   #379

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxiam View Post
Beautiful! Will she stay that way??
It has to. the Previous owner is my mechanic. I see him all the time! Looks as good today as it did when I first got her!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 10:36   #380
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Eelkat,
You want a big project?
Well this is it.
This boat is crying out for a major restoration.
The interior is unique with teak and stained glass panels, but it needs a lot of restoring.

Here is the Yachtworld link...
Do yourself a favour and take a look at the pictures of the interior.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Ah, That's Seapeace. I'm in the slip that she was in before her owner passed away. I'm not up on her history but can find out if anyone is interested in her. So if you want her and need some background I can get it for you. Just PM me.

--E
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 11:48   #381

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

This boat has been for sale for a long time. In its heyday, i'm sure it was a beautiful boat. Now, unfortunately, it is not worth the 75 grand they are asking. Without looking closer, you can figure new sails. Maybe the teak deck can be saved, probably not. Figure another 70 k for new deck. Inside, you can see virtually everything needs replacing /repair. Figure. Another say 100 grand or more

And all those numbers are assuming you do the labor yourself

If they gave her to me, I might think about it. Ut there is so much work involved and in the end you will have 40 year old boat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 14:11   #382
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker
Aloha, beautifuuuul! Why don't I just drop the boat by your place and you do it!!! ? LOL
Would love to....but then I would have to live on it because my wife would kick me out!
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 08:08   #383

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

hello
Interesting reading.
I am doing a winter break on my restoration in the moment. I am surprised how much time some spend for relative little boats. Boats and cars have the same problematic.
If you have a collector car and are in need of perfection you work a lot spend a lot and dont drive. What is totally fine because you like the object and the repair. Finding out the details.
If you need a car to cross the states and camp out on the other side in some bays you get by with much less.
There are so many boats out there witch would do easy the trip to the Bahamas and more south with no problems if you would wait for 10 to 15 knots from NE.
Then between some islands you still able to repair and paint , etc. At least you are already part of your dream and adventure. You will see that all has solutions and you will see what kind of person you are in realty.
I have been on my boat now for 12 years and had always something to do on her. Now I stumbled on my new project.
Worked on Ozma now for 2 1/2 month. The boat was neclected for 10 years sitting in a boat yard.

Flickr: awabflickr's Photostream

Seams like a lot of work but I am sure 6 month of work will do the most and the rest will be done over time. It s fun to be on anchor with sun and turquoise water around and have some work to do.
The only thing is that you have planned the materials you need in advance.

The best is that the hole trip does not cost even close to what I read in this threat.
If you know what you need and give you self some time to buy it. This one guy from Australia made it quite clear how to do it.

The resale value is not important. This is only the case if you want to sell it in some years in the same location you bought it. In the moment you go cruising the market is changing all the time. Also the condition of the boat and the perspective you seeing your dream. After the first bad experience the resale value of your boat is changing drastically.
If you have a little boat what has a x value in the Chesapeake bay because it is cute and fits in front of a nice house has perhaps no resale value in Havana after the engine dyed on you.
I bought a cheap older raymarine dome with a black and white analog radar for Ozma for nearly nothing on ebay. This is 10 times good for the crossing south. No need to spend more. The list is long for possibilities to spend to much for things not needed.
If you buy a boat take a person with you who did the sailing you indent to do. Don t take a racer guy to buy a cruiser and vise versa. The point of views will be probably confusing. The same, with the budjet. If you go with a guy which can afford or has a 100 000 us boat buying a 25ooo us boat you will probably be confused in the end.

There is so many to say but I stop now.
Have fun
peter

sorry for my bad english
awab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 08:19   #384
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Simply outstanding advise in any language.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by awab View Post
hello
Interesting reading.
I am doing a winter break on my restoration in the moment. I am surprised how much time some spend for relative little boats. Boats and cars have the same problematic.
If you have a collector car and are in need of perfection you work a lot spend a lot and dont drive. What is totally fine because you like the object and the repair. Finding out the details.
If you need a car to cross the states and camp out on the other side in some bays you get by with much less.
There are so many boats out there witch would do easy the trip to the Bahamas and more south with no problems if you would wait for 10 to 15 knots from NE.
Then between some islands you still able to repair and paint , etc. At least you are already part of your dream and adventure. You will see that all has solutions and you will see what kind of person you are in realty.
I have been on my boat now for 12 years and had always something to do on her. Now I stumbled on my new project.
Worked on Ozma now for 2 1/2 month. The boat was neclected for 10 years sitting in a boat yard.

Flickr: awabflickr's Photostream

Seams like a lot of work but I am sure 6 month of work will do the most and the rest will be done over time. It s fun to be on anchor with sun and turquoise water around and have some work to do.
The only thing is that you have planned the materials you need in advance.

The best is that the hole trip does not cost even close to what I read in this threat.
If you know what you need and give you self some time to buy it. This one guy from Australia made it quite clear how to do it.

The resale value is not important. This is only the case if you want to sell it in some years in the same location you bought it. In the moment you go cruising the market is changing all the time. Also the condition of the boat and the perspective you seeing your dream. After the first bad experience the resale value of your boat is changing drastically.
If you have a little boat what has a x value in the Chesapeake bay because it is cute and fits in front of a nice house has perhaps no resale value in Havana after the engine dyed on you.
I bought a cheap older raymarine dome with a black and white analog radar for Ozma for nearly nothing on ebay. This is 10 times good for the crossing south. No need to spend more. The list is long for possibilities to spend to much for things not needed.
If you buy a boat take a person with you who did the sailing you indent to do. Don t take a racer guy to buy a cruiser and vise versa. The point of views will be probably confusing. The same, with the budjet. If you go with a guy which can afford or has a 100 000 us boat buying a 25ooo us boat you will probably be confused in the end.

There is so many to say but I stop now.
Have fun
peter

sorry for my bad english
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 12:08   #385

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

+1

Also, take a surveyor that has a reputation for being excessively critical, or you are wasting your money. I have found they are like politicians, trying to please everyone.
If you have any sense of adventure, after your purchase, 10:1 your intended purpose will change somewhat. So sea-worthyness is essential unless you can afford to sell & upgrade.

Funny how priorities change from person to person; however clear headed you maybe about your reasoning, its gonna change with what you experience.
We bought a boat for sedate gulf day tripping & maybe a little over-nighting. Ended up racing and overworking the ol' girl. Pulled for a quick fix, ended up in re-building everything from keelson up. I didn't plan any of it.
It is so long since we sailed it seems we bought the boat to fix it.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 10:02   #386

Boat: Islander Bahama 24'

This was a really good thread thank you. I am six months into my refit (boat came to me in pieces in a box) With no idea what I was getting into and an abundance of enthusiasm I began. Now six months later about to slip schedule (a ridiculous schedule made in ignorance) for the second time, I find myself questioning my sanity. When she is finally in the water there will be a sense of pride and accomplishment that cannot be rivaled I am sure. In the meantime I didn't want to learn how to do woodworking, metalworking, fiberglass repair. I just wanted to sail.
Captain Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 13:02   #387
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Grandpa View Post
This was a really good thread thank you.
It's not every post on the subject!, but a fair of them in recent times .

I figured that it of most "help" not from the specific advice given but from the collective message that you also bring!..........That not always (ever? ) a couple of weekends work, so think carefully - ideally before leaping.

Anyway, whilst not being alone may only bring a little comfort! - not having 40 (or 50!) feet to deal with no doubt brings a lot .

Happy Sailing .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 13:09   #388

To refit a boat or building it has a good quality to it if you not eager to sail. If your prime reason is to sail - stay away. It is the same with cooking. Nothing worst then a hungry cook.
Just looking to a guy on youtube which I have to say is showing what centered peace is needed to refit or building. He is doing a great job I have to say.
Perhaps you guys have a look. I channeled the last 2 day to look to nearly all his 213 videos.
You find him under " sv seeker ". He is building a 74 foot steel boat. Have a look and be stunned.

have fun
peter
Old 17-01-2013, 13:58   #389

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by awab View Post
To refit a boat or building it has a good quality to it if you not eager to sail. If your prime reason is to sail - stay away. It is the same with cooking. Nothing worst then a hungry cook.
Just looking to a guy on youtube which I have to say is showing what centered peace is needed to refit or building. He is doing a great job I have to say.
Perhaps you guys have a look. I channeled the last 2 day to look to nearly all his 213 videos.
You find him under " sv seeker ". He is building a 74 foot steel boat. Have a look and be stunned.

have fun
peter
Construction and refit/rebuilding are two different animals.
A home construction one never knows what he's going to end up with.

With a rebuild, the boat has already proven itself and is just being, or should be, brought back to specs with some upgrades/modernization.

When I was young I always wanted to build my own and I'm glad I didn't. Just the past 10 years rebuilding my own has taken a bit of a toll. But I'm a bit older now. And I'm about done. Just a water maker, hard dodger and brand new electronics. Then I'm gone.

Fortunately, I got some training on PBR's, Swift's and other boats while in Vietnam. The rest was the school of hard knocks. Didn't have the net back then to reference/search stuff. And went through a couple wives in the process.

These days it's getting so if you don't have the know how and your own place to work on the thing, then it's going to cost you more then buying a ready-to-go boat.

At least this guy has some free help.
Old 17-01-2013, 14:34   #390

I agree with you delmarrey.
I would never start to build a boat. I was only impressed with the ease and calm this couple is going on every challenge.
I have been cruising now for over 10 seasons and can enjoy a refit. When I bought AWAB 12 years ago I got so inpatient that I was unable to do anything in peace. Wanted to go sailing. Been always on the run to get the boat done. Was a lot of stress this way. Now with more calm things are more fun.
This couple is an interesting case of being in control. Takes the frustration out of failing. Refitting a boat has always moments of stagnation and failing. To be able to mange this is part of the game.

Tags
cheap, DOJ, refit, Refurb