Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2010, 14:01   #46
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
That one would have worked out if I'd stayed in.

oh well
Don't worry. Theres loads of nice girls out there. They just can't navigate so it takes them a while to find the cool guys

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 14:11   #47

Boat: PETERSON 44
Used both I prefer the propane. Shut the tank off when I leave. Cant find the link now but somewhere I had a table that showed post comustion production of water vapor. Diesel I think was best propane then alcohol. Another thought if your around cold places.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 14:12   #48
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I don't think I've been there either. I bought a camper van in Washington DC and drove it to LA via Florida, New York and Texas..... thats more than some Americans Same as Australia, most people dont go too far from home.
umm prolly a lot more interesting adventures than a bunch of Kangas in the midlands?

They don't call its Kangasas for nuthin yahkyak
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 08:05   #49

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
If you carry guns aboard, be careful.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 08:45   #50

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
It seems the only real differences is in the convenience of propane stoves with their electrical turn on/off and the shear numbers of units sold and out there.
- - Modern alcohol stoves - as far determine comparing spec's - are just as, or close enough, good a heat source as propane. However, they are not as convenient in that you have to remove and fill canisters with alcohol; and light the burners manually. I suspect the danger aspects of spilling fuel from the canisters has been addressed.
- - So I would surmise, if you as an occasional cruiser, then alcohol eliminates the dangers of leaking or broken or defective propane tanks/lockers/hoses/safety switches on the solenoids. But for long term live/cook a-boards, propane is easier to operate.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 09:39   #51

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Therapy, you are not helping sway me towards propane with that video. lol
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 09:57   #52

OK, couldn't stop myself from responding!

We have lived aboard and cruised full-time now for almost 5 years. Have an Origo two-burner stove. We have the greatest variety of meals that I have ever had in my lifetime (girlfriend is a wonderful cook!). She even "bakes" cakes, meatloaf, etc. in a skillet on the stove. We have coffee every morning and it only takes minutes to heat water for the 12 cup pot(we pour it manually through a filter from an old coffeemaker, much better than any coffeemaker I ever had, coffee is hotter!).

If anything it is hard to make the flame small enough to simmer without putting it out!! Anyone who tells you an Origo stove won't heat things or takes too long is crazy or hasn't used one.

I won't have propane on my boat (bad experience with natural gas stove when a kid!). You can cook gormet meals on an Origo stove.
We buy denatured alcohol from Ace Hardware here in the States as it is the cleanest burning and relatively cheap. A gallon lasts about a month, cooking dinner every night and coffee in the morning, costs $15 a month.

By the way, the first thing every cruiser asks when they get here to Boot Key Harbor in the Keys is "Where can I get my propane tank filled?". Fortunately, there is one and only one filling station and it is only a block away. So they carry or use a cart to go get a heavy tank filled and haul it back. NOT even that convenient in many, many ports we have been!!! And when you run out of propane you usually don't have a backup on most boats. We always have plenty of extra cans of alcohol on board as backup, never run out or run low.

As for the flame being invisible, that is NOT true! We look at it to see how high it is burning to adjust the flame!

There is a lot of "this is the only right way to do it" in the modern cruising world. Propane being "the only right way" for most cruisers today (25 years ago no sailor in his right mind would have had propane on his boat!)
Times change. Whatever is right for you is OK, if you want propane on your boat get it. Just not for me. VERY happy with our Origo. In fact, I am so concerned that they may not make them much longer due to the popularity of propane on boats that I am going to buy another one to put in storage in case anything ever happens to ours as we plan to live on the boat until the undertaker hauls us both off it!!!! (which won't be from a propane explosion!)
Downtothesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 10:25   #53

Boat: Irwin sloop
Without proper instruction newbies can and probably will overfill the fuel canisters on an Origo, then when in use the fuel expands and flaming alcohol overflows the canister and goes under the stove causing the cook and her guests to panic and rush the companionway ladder to the cockpit. I watched this drama unfold on the boat beside me and was amazed that there were only minor injuries and cosmetic damage inside the boat. I had an identical Origo stove on my boat and was never comfortable using it after that.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 10:43   #54

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Hmm..i retract what i said earlier...am typing one handed due to having second degree burns on my right arm...stupid error onmy part...a little fuel spill and poof! owwww.
percoset is good...

i think i'll be looking for a propane stove/oven soon. would have really sucked if i had been underway.
Old 24-10-2010, 12:17   #55
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
Hmm..i retract what i said earlier...am typing one handed due to having second degree burns on my right arm...stupid error onmy part...a little fuel spill and poof! owwww.
percoset is good...

i think i'll be looking for a propane stove/oven soon. would have really sucked if i had been underway.
Easy to criticise and I am probably tempting fate here but I do wonder what some folks are doing with their Origos Possibly not reading the instructions Seems simple enough to fill even for me . and a nice big hole to aim for truth be told apart from shaking any overspill onto cannister into the sink I don't even mop up - Fuel that spills evaporates soon enough and before I fit back / get around to lighting.

One thing that helps with the refuel process is decanting from gallon (?) jugs into handier sized bottles. Another element to the slight PITA process - but you always know where you are with fuel.

As a smoker I sometimes find myself doing things with a fag* dangling from my mouth that on reflection is not sensible - never a problem when refueling the Origo. So far only set fire to my hair once - and that was for a bet. and involved Alcohol, the drinking of ......and no Origo

*term not edited for amusement of North American members
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 13:53   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

One thing that helps with the refuel process is decanting from gallon (?) jugs into handier sized bottles. Another element to the slight PITA process - but you always know where you are with fuel.

I pour the gallon cans into a gallon gas jug, with one of those vented "nonspillable" spouts. I don't like rusted cans.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 14:03   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I pour the gallon cans into a gallon gas jug, with one of those vented "nonspillable" spouts. I don't like rusted cans.
My insectiside spray bottle is plastic and holds 3 gallons - fits perfectly in the locker under my galley sink.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 14:09   #58

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Be warned, some plastic bottles are now "bio-degradable" and will within a year or two self-destruct. Be sure the plastic bottle/container is rated/made to hold alcohol. I found this out the hard way and had a hell of a mess to clean up.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 14:26   #59

Boat: Island Packet 27
I've been using an Origo for about 3 years now. Before that (on a small trailer sailor), I used Sterno. HUGE difference in heating/boiling time. The Origo boils water just fine for my morning cup of coffee. I can see the blue flame inside the cabin and the slight odor soes not bother me. I also have a Magma gas grill that uses 2 pound bottles. I suppose if the boat came with a propane stove, I'd be happy with that too. But the thought of switching over to a propane stove makes no sense for ME. The cost and loss of space is an issue with me. Plus too much work for very little gain and one more heavy item to lug ashore to refill.

I like the Origo....it is simple and functional.
That's is my 2 cents.
Old 24-10-2010, 15:07   #60

Boat: o'day 302
ran alcohol in bahamas last season.pain to get and expensive if you cook alot.anyone who is skeptical/scared of a propane stove on a boat should stick to cruisin forums not water.propane for this crew.
countrybimm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, stove, origo