Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2010, 07:48   #76
Armchair Bucketeer

Am in discussions with a mate to shoot some Youtube demonstrating the safe limits when using / refueling the Origo

Might take a week or two..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 08:37   #77

We use an Origo and love it. And I always see the flame....

IF your experience with alcohol is only pressurized then you can't/don't have a clue concerning the Origo..

It's like talking about cars, but your last and only car was a 1959 Renault Daphine, by which you comapre/rate all cars..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 08:52   #78

Ok, after reading all this, I'm rethinking my decision not to go with an Origo.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 09:05   #79

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
I'm leaning towards Origo. The refit for the Origo is going to cost me around $450. I can live with it for a year or so and if I hate it, I can change it out. This seems a better option than the approx. $3000 refit cost of a new propane system plus the labor. It would suck to spend the extra $$ if its not necessary.

Still weighing the pros and cons, but I'm begining to have a definite lean...
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 09:22   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
When we bought Bellesa she came with a Kenyon pressure alcohol/electric. The pressure side had a leak and we only have 15A sockets on the dock. The thing had to go. On the old boat we had the Origo 3000. I got the 4200 this time. Happy enough with both.

The 4200 fit the cutout, with some minor tweaking. Whoever did the cutout wasn't as neat as they could have been.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 11:20   #81

pepoles asked me off line why I prefer alchol to propane on my boat. When I explained they sugested I post my reason for others benifit.

First I love to cook with my propan BBQ at home, however a few years ago while cooking with my son and doter beside me the control valve bursted open while making hambergers. befor I cauld close the valve the presurised gas expeled enough to ignite and blow half the wall of my house. Other then being tromatised and scared stiff no one was ingered.

needles to say I am extreamly cautious when useing propane nowdays and will never have it inn a boat.

No dought if this accident have happened inn my boat every one would be dead or better off dead.

alchol is relativly safe if handled properly, it can be extinguised with water. Being none presurised means it wont explode if ignited.
Other benifits alchol can be find at any hardware store for about $5 to $12 gallon, you can also optain Fondu feul at any food mart and most dollar store, stove alchol is sold under various names and price.
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 17:55   #82

Boat: O'Day 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
We use an Origo and love it. And I always see the flame....

IF your experience with alcohol is only pressurized then you can't/don't have a clue concerning the Origo..

It's like talking about cars, but your last and only car was a 1959 Renault Daphine, by which you comapre/rate all cars..
This is my case. I hated the pressurized alc stove I used for a year or two before switching to propane. On my new old boat I got a sink, icebox, and a nice area to work with but no stove. So I'm starting from scratch. I was just going to get a seaswing type propane, and I probably will but I'll have to check out the Origo after reading this.

Many thanks.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 18:41   #83

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
One thing I will say for alky...water puts it out but quick....that probably saved my boat..I have a great damage control crew.
Old 26-10-2010, 18:50   #84

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
One thing I will say for alky...water puts it out but quick....that probably saved my boat..I have a great damage control crew.
Yeah a bucket of water is great, but you need to talk to your damage control crew that after the fire is out they are not required to hold your head down inside the next bucket of water.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 19:08   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Yeah a bucket of water is great, but you need to talk to your damage control crew that after the fire is out they are not required to hold your head down inside the next bucket of water.
When the fireball blew, I screeched, fell back, grrlfriend caught me, the wife whipped a towel up and put me out, the kids evacuated out of whatever hole they could find...then they all hunted around and put out the little fires..i checked the engine room just before shock set in..EMT showd up with the morphine and took me to the hospital, where Cute Nurse showed up every so often with another syringe full of dilautid..I LIKE her. Wife and girlfriend sat either side of me and petted and fretted over me...one can live like that in the best of circumstances, but when one is stoned and in pain it is pretty heavenly..
Old 27-10-2010, 12:45   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
When the fireball blew, I screeched, fell back, grrlfriend caught me, the wife whipped a towel up and put me out, the kids evacuated out of whatever hole they could find...then they all hunted around and put out the little fires..i checked the engine room just before shock set in..EMT showd up with the morphine and took me to the hospital, where Cute Nurse showed up every so often with another syringe full of dilautid..I LIKE her. Wife and girlfriend sat either side of me and petted and fretted over me...one can live like that in the best of circumstances, but when one is stoned and in pain it is pretty heavenly..
hey sorry for your misfortune and best recovery to you.

was that presurised alchol??
can you describe the event, this type of tragedy should at the very least educate others.
thanks rgds
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 13:02   #87

I use an Origo - by choice. I have no problem lighting it, and I have coffee in no time at all! Cooks fast enough for me - I'm a sailor afterall
seajester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 19:32   #88

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
We've had propane in 2 boats including propane BBQ's plumbed into the boat's tank since 1987, and we have propane in our house both for aux heat and cooking.
No fires or explosions on any of those.

What are we doing right??

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 20:51   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
hey sorry for your misfortune and best recovery to you.

was that presurised alchol??
can you describe the event, this type of tragedy should at the very least educate others.
thanks rgds
MMkay...basically I was moving a bottle of alcohol off of the counter while the pressure cooker was doing it's thing on one burner...I had just moved the cooker off of the aft burner and extinguished that burner, having ignited the forward burner...the flap was closed on the aft burner...the cap on the bottle leaked a bit as I turned with the bottle..unfortunately, I was a bit too close to the stove, as i crossed it, got a little dribble of fuel right down the throat of the aft burner which immediately vaporized, and apparently the draft sucked it across to the lit burner where upon it did what fuel does and flashed...well, it got high enough to get the bottle..which was still in my right hand...I guess when it happened I squeezed (Plastic bottle..mistake number umpty scratch)..didn't help matters as all of a sudden my arm is in the broiler...I screeched and pitched the bottle out the companionway towards the water..which very likely saved lives, certainly saved anyone else from getting injured..some of the alky dripped into the cockpit and caught a plastic bag afire, but that was the worst of it, a few drips in the cabin sole burned, but were quickly extinguished by the Admiral, while the XO held on to the Captain's dumb (medium rare) ass...before I lost it completely I checked the
empty engine bay for fire, as the plastic bag that caught fire was plugging the hole left from the pedestal that the (idiot) PO had installed..wanted to make sure id hadn't dripped in..pretty much the last non self preservation thought i had..My two lovely ladies, the wife and girlfriend undoubtedly saved me from much more extensive injury, and may have saved my life..they were cool and collected in the crunch..girlfriend walked me up to the marina head so that I could get some cold fresh water on it and stop the burn, I went into mild shock and went down for a couple minutes, bathed the burn and went back outside (fearing infection from the floor) and laid down on a bench with my legs and burnt arm elevated..and girlfriend holding my head still as I was beginning to shake pretty bad from the pain..wife had the ambulance coming, and had made sure the boat was secure...

So...obviously, I was complacent in having raw fuel around the galley while the heat was on...and in keeping it in a marginal container, which i had not ensured the security of, and handling said fuel while the stove was going..

I like my little origo, and I do not believe I will get rid of it in favor of propane..I am not a fan of flammable gas in a boat, yes I know thousands of hours..etc etc...I won't have a pressurized alky stove, don't trust them either...
If I change anything It will likely be to an origo oven stove combo..but I doubt it.

Doc allowed me to bathe the arm tonight and will have to a couple times a day for awhile, am still in bandages, with about 25% second degree burns on hand and arm, with 1st degree burns on the other 75%, I will lose 2 to three weeks of work, doc doesn't think I will have to have therapy, but will not commit regarding plastic surgery, I am sick from all the pain meds, and groggy, and in a ****load of pain.

I cannot say enough about my wonderful ladies...they rock!

Don't fry bacon naked, folks.
Old 27-10-2010, 21:40   #90

Boat: "Tranquil" - '79 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I ... don't mind alcohol stoves, this one boils water quick enough and cooks well. The issues, as I see them, is it can be hard to tell how much fuel you have left in the stove and you can't refill hot. Also it is hard to turn the flame down low enough at times.
Having a two burner stove is useful, if you're not using both at the same time and the side you're using runs out of fuel. Just light the other side and continue.

As for getting lower heat, try a diffuser:

(also good for making toast ;-)

Tags
propane, stove, origo