Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2013, 11:17   #1

Boat: C&C Newport 41
pourable filler

i am looking for a product that i can pour, shape / mold and will dry hard. it needs to be sandable and closed cell so I can later epoxy to it.

i am leveling and smoothing the hull in advance of laying down the new sole... evening out the high and low spots in the hull.

surfacing putty will work well but required volume (and incremental progress vs single application) makes it less than ideal.

thoughts on a product?

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 12:43   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: pourable filler

I wanted to fill the spots in my hull where the stringers would catch water and crud, thereby making it possible to drain that water into the bilge. I mixed West System with 407 filler (phenolic spheres or "micro-balloons") to a consistency where it would self-level. It worked like a charm. For deeper areas, specifically, the engine compartment bilge, where I could trowel, I first used spray foam, leveled it out as best I could, then used the epoxy with filler to do the final leveling. Before foaming, however, I installed two-inch electrical conduits, one just to connect the bilges forward and aft of the compartment, for drainage, the other for any future needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06202.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	58060   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05532-reduced.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	58061  

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 15:09   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I wanted to fill the spots in my hull where the stringers would catch water and crud, thereby making it possible to drain that water into the bilge. I mixed West System with 407 filler (phenolic spheres or "micro-balloons") to a consistency where it would self-level. It worked like a charm. For deeper areas, specifically, the engine compartment bilge, where I could trowel, I first used spray foam, leveled it out as best I could, then used the epoxy with filler to do the final leveling. Before foaming, however, I installed two-inch electrical conduits, one just to connect the bilges forward and aft of the compartment, for drainage, the other for any future needs.

WEST epoxy should not be used as a pourable, because the exotherm temps are too high if poured in thickness of more than about 1/4", which often leads to cracking and long term failure. If you read the manuals you will see that it is not supposed to be applied in thickness more than this. If you must use WEST this way, use Tropical hardener and multiple thin pours. WEST is also relatively heavy and expensive when mixed this way.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 15:10   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
i am looking for a product that i can pour, shape / mold and will dry hard. it needs to be sandable and closed cell so I can later epoxy to it.

i am leveling and smoothing the hull in advance of laying down the new sole... evening out the high and low spots in the hull.

surfacing putty will work well but required volume (and incremental progress vs single application) makes it less than ideal.

thoughts on a product?

-steve

If you need to make a big pour, Chockfast Orange. Not very easily shapeable, but it will not crack and you can make massive pours with it.

Old 27-03-2013, 16:51   #5

Blocks of lightweight foam, or two part foam. Then laminate over it. Any other way, for fills over a centimeter, is kinda "shadetree" and heavy too.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 18:02   #6

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Guess I must be lucky. No problems observed. All of the times I've done it.... As for cost, time is money, too. I use what I've got.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 18:07   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Check out the horribly expensive products made by Belzona for that purpose. Might be worth it. Or you could be old-fashioned and pour in some concrete, as soupy as is needful. It can be glassed over when fully cured.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 18:24   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Check out the horribly expensive products made by Belzona for that purpose. Might be worth it. Or you could be old-fashioned and pour in some concrete, as soupy as is needful. It can be glassed over when fully cured.
I have a two part Belzona product that I was given and it will fix anything and can be goobed on very thick..The fellow that gave it to me worked at the steam station in Jax beach Fla and he said it would even work on high pressure hot water pipes and under water..good stuff but very expensive..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 18:47   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Blocks of lightweight foam, or two part foam. Then laminate over it. Any other way, for fills over a centimeter, is kinda "shadetree" and heavy too.

Nope. Like I said, Chockfast Orange. It's made for this, far from "shade tree". Very light weight, extremely strong and hard. It's been spec'd in some very high end builds I've done. It's often used for potting in engine beds and pour aligning heavy machinery on ships. It's bombproof. Can be poured to a depth of several feet with no exotherm problems. I've filled large keel cavities with it.

chockfast orange - Bing Images

ITW Chockfast Marine | Epoxy Grouts, Adhesives, Repair Products, Coatings

Old 27-03-2013, 19:56   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

If you need to make a big pour, Chockfast Orange. Not very easily shapeable, but it will not crack and you can make massive pours with it.
I'll second the chock fast. I've personally poured it 4" thick 6" wide and two feet long. There were eight of these blocks poured to align and secure a 2 megawatt generator to a propulsion engine on a ship.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 20:03   #11

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: pourable filler

Quote:
Nope. Like I said, Chockfast Orange.
Thanks for this tip and Coosa board.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 20:13   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Thanks for this tip and Coosa board.

No problem, happy to help. Both are tried and true products, will not fail you. Top shelf stuff.

Old 27-03-2013, 20:50   #13

Quote:

No problem, happy to help. Both are tried and true products, will not fail you. Top shelf stuff.
Too heavy. But hey, most here have heavy boats or just don't care. Difficult to shape after hardening. Expensive. Overkill. I'd use foam. But OP didn't say how thick.

And I would be finished with the project in a day.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 21:11   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Too heavy. But hey, most here have heavy boats or just don't care. Difficult to shape after hardening. Expensive. Overkill. I'd use foam. But OP didn't say how thick.

And I would be finished with the project in a day.

Pour foam is open cell and absorbs water. If you have to glass over it you wont be done in a day, or even in a week.I rarely use it for anything. Chockfast you just sand it for prep and pour. The whole point of a self leveling pour is that you don't need to shape it. It's cheaper than using WEST. And it won't crack or fail in the bond when the boat flexes.

Old 28-03-2013, 09:27   #15

Boat: C&C Newport 41

thanks for the advise.

i am looking into chock fast now. ballon would work okay as would filler other than the expense as i have a lot of area to cover (lots of small sections).

minaret hit the nail on the head with the open cell foams besides they expand WAY too much for anything other than big areas.

my default plan is to sure
Colloidal Silica & 105/slow 205 @ .75: 1 for the self leveling and the 1.5:1 for the 2nd application where more shaping is required.
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote