Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 22:13   #211
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
Awesome project and when you are done it will be better than new.

Thanks. That is what I'm shooting for.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:46   #212

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I know my work wil never be of the fine quality of yours, but it will be better then it was LOL Thats why Im doing it now before ya show your pics of the finished deck!! That way I will at least gotten it done LOL
Old 22-02-2013, 23:09   #213
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I know my work wil never be of the fine quality of yours, but it will be better then it was LOL Thats why Im doing it now before ya show your pics of the finished deck!! That way I will at least gotten it done LOL

I think anyone can achieve fine quality with a bit of knowledge and perseverance. That's why I post these pics, in the hope that others will be able to do the same for themselves instead of having to pay a fortune. Good luck Bob, I'm sure it will turn out great!
Old 23-02-2013, 16:00   #214

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yea right, I doubt that with your speed machine! Not happening unless I can motor sail I'm guessing...

How's that repair holding up?
So far, so good, but I haven't really tested it in big wind/seas.
It ought to be fine, thanks to your help, but NO THANKS to the crooks at Safeco Insurance.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 18:05   #215

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

minaret, I was wondering how you handle the areas under the support plates. I suppose you would have to taper back before applying the epoxy?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 18:33   #216
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, blockspots and jackstands are done in a second phase. Often, as in this case, the boat will have to hang in the slings over a weekend at splash to finish the bottom of the keel. We stagger the barrier coat and stay back a foot or so with the bottom paint for less sanding and fairing.
Old 23-02-2013, 19:59   #217
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
A+ amazing. This thread helps me get through my workday and powers me up for the next round on my own project. Thanks for sharing.
I was thinking the same thing as you,even said "amazing" right before reading your post! Great work ..With a trade like that under your belt "all the world is a stage!You are an artist for sure Minaret!..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 20:20   #218
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Yay, mission accomplished! Spreading inspiration to refit and maybe even a little knowledge is my intention here. Always has been. Now if only I could get people to ask some of the obvious questions posed by my pics and start a real technical discussion to spread better how-to knowledge. Over 5000 views but not many have posted. Lots of other boatbuilders and experienced boat people here, surprised no one wants to argue the merits or demerits of what I'm depicting here, on a thread on CF no less! I suppose I need to post more systems install stuff, seems like many here are more electrician than boatbuilder. That oughta start some discussions! Right now I get more questions by PM than posts here...
You are to us what a hot chick is to a room full of ugly girls..Intimedating!lol.. You do such a good job during your presentation, it is easily comprehended..thanks for the education..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 20:33   #219
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
So far, so good, but I haven't really tested it in big wind/seas.
It ought to be fine, thanks to your help, but NO THANKS to the crooks at Safeco Insurance.

Crookity crooks. They really screwed you with some blatant BS. At least it was a relatively easy fix. I'm sure it's as good as new.
Old 23-02-2013, 20:35   #220
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I was thinking the same thing as you,even said "amazing" right before reading your post! Great work ..With a trade like that under your belt "all the world is a stage!You are an artist for sure Minaret!..

Thanks man, I try. And I have lots of help. Though I am doing the majority of the work alone.
Old 23-02-2013, 20:39   #221
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
You are to us what a hot chick is to a room full of ugly girls..Intimedating!lol.. You do such a good job during your presentation, it is easily comprehended..thanks for the education..

Never got the impression that folks here on CF intimidate easy. Happy I could educate!

More to come, just trying to figure out my pic situation. Posting just one pic per post works OK, but now I need to get pics from my PC onto my iPad so I can post projects from the start. I downloaded lots of pics from my phone to my PC and now that I no longer have Internet I can't figure out how to post them...
Old 23-02-2013, 22:07   #222
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
My weapon of choice for many things.
That looks like my Makita polisher... what disc do you use ?

p.s. you must consume a bunch of energy drinks on those days!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 22:23   #223
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That looks like my Makita polisher... what disc do you use ?

p.s. you must consume a bunch of energy drinks on those days!

Sure, that's the variable speed Makita sander/polisher. Every boater should be familiar with this tool and own one. Here it has a standard 8" soft pad attached. Great for all sorts of aggressive sanding and rough fairing. I do this every day and have for many years, nothing new here to me other than that this time it's my boat. Energy drinks are nasty, I try to stick with good quality coffee. Suggestions have been made that hours and productivity might go up if we switched to coke or methamphetamine, but I'm afraid quality would suffer, LOL! Certainly would be the only way to put in any more time than I am now, presently devoting every waking hour to boat work.
Old 25-02-2013, 19:08   #224

Minaret, you brute. You have my complete respect. Anyone who long boards an entire hull on their own, in record time no doubt, has my undiminished respect. And this after pulling the hull down to bare glass and working up the layers...in winter, in sickness and in health, and again, in record time no doubt. Boy, you are driven yet in your severe motivation to come in on record schedule you maintain a superior craftsmanship. That says a lot about you and the crew. There is not much which results in such a happy occasion as a tight cohesive crew where each know the task and the finish. Such a crew is sheer delight, where each know, without the necessity of speech, what the other is doing and about to do.

Just the thought of hoisting that board above and below your head for long hours to achieve a fine fairing...your arms and core muscles must be Olympian in nature.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 19:11   #225

Having your deck templates, I can't wait to see the topsides.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit