Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 17:12   #31

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
The acrylic paint is applied over your normal paint to provide non skid surface just the same as Kiwi-Grip, its just a hell of a lot cheaper and looks pretty similar, was always happy with it and would happily do it again
FWIW, as far as I can tell Kiwi-Grip basically IS just an acrylic paint; it's just a lot thicker in consistency than regular paint, so it can take on a pretty aggressive texture.
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 18:37   #32

Boat: Boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
FWIW, as far as I can tell Kiwi-Grip basically IS just an acrylic paint; it's just a lot thicker in consistency than regular paint, so it can take on a pretty aggressive texture.
I guess the manufacturer will have to weigh in on the particular chemical analysis compared with acrylic paint. I do know that KiwiGrip is NOT an acrylic paint (read the label). It is an acrylic polymer (with other pretty tough stuff) but is not an acrylic resin like many house paints. Polymers are much tougher than acrylics and should last a lot longer. How long? Dunno?

Jim
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:36   #33

Here's a few pics from my kiwi grip project. Started with old brown treadmaster on deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foredeckoriginal.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	6048  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:38   #34

Scraped off the treadmaster, then a heat gun and scraper to remove the old adhesive, and some sanding and filling for prep.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	foredeckprep.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	6049  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:42   #35

Still working my way aft with the paint, but here's the bow section with a slight green tint in the kiwi grip. Easy to get it tinted at home depot any color you want.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kiwiforedeck.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	6050  
Old 02-12-2008, 05:52   #36

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
It is an acrylic polymer (with other pretty tough stuff) but is not an acrylic resin like many house paints.
OK, you got me. I just knew that Kiwi-Grip was an acrylic but I am not up to speed on the difference between an acrylic polymer and an acrylic resin.
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 14:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post
Still working my way aft with the paint, but here's the bow section with a slight green tint in the kiwi grip. Easy to get it tinted at home depot any color you want.
Looks pretty good from here!

J
Old 16-05-2010, 23:35   #38

Boat: Tartan 34C
Kiwi-Grip comparable?

Has anyone found a product similar to Kiwi-Grip? At $125/Gallon, it seems a tad high for acrylic, resin OR polymer. Any luck with truck bed liner? Rubbery paints? Others?

Thanks,

John
Catalina 27
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 05:07   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Has anyone found a product similar to Kiwi-Grip? At $125/Gallon, it seems a tad high for acrylic, resin OR polymer. Any luck with truck bed liner? Rubbery paints? Others?

Thanks,

John
Catalina 27
No, I haven't. KiwiGrip has good longevity so far - through 1 and half years with full exposure. You are right about the cost. I was thinking about this new paint being advertised as spray on siding. Likely a similar material.

J
Old 17-05-2010, 06:12   #40

Boat: Irwin 325cc, "Second Wind"
Ultra Tuff

I just got done refinishing the decks and cabin top with Ultra Tuff, and while the end results look good (so far) I can't say I recommend the stuff. I did the smooth surfaces in UT25F white (no aggregate) and the non skid areas in UT50F sand color (50% aggregate. The white had not near enough pigment to color in the 2 coats stated by the manufacturer, in the end it took 7 to 9 coats before show thru was eliminated. I tried several different application techniques on test panels and ended up having to add alot of pigment to the paint. Also this product is very difficult to work right around corners and in concave areas. The company was not at all helpful in regards to a solution for this, and I was told that "it is the nature of the product" which, of course, was not what I was told during the research discussions prior to purchase. The actual non skid goes on pretty much as advertised, but plan on 3 coats instead of the directed 2 coats. To prep the surface I sanded the diamond pattern down to about 15%, so it looked like flat blocks with checker lines. After the second coat it looked like the coverage was adequate with no visible substrate color, however 2 days later as the paint continued to cure a few areas of substrate color became visible. As I just finished 3 days ago durability has not been tested but the product does seem to have a softer feel underfoot than most and excellent grip. No photos yet as i am working feverishly to get the boat in the water this upcoming weekend, but I'll post some when I can. Hope this helps ya....
Mi2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 17:32   #41

Update

Quote:
No, I haven't. KiwiGrip has good longevity so far - through 1 and half years with full exposure. You are right about the cost. I was thinking about this new paint being advertised as spray on siding. Likely a similar material.

J
What Is Rhino Shield? | Rhino Shield Corporate Website

I had been thinking about this for some time and probably will give it a try. Sometimes various products have a hard time crossing the "category barrier" and never make it to other uses. If thick enough (if not let it dry a bit) this could be rolled on with a "carpet type" roller cover aailable at any good paint store. This application will create a non-skid not too rough surface.

J
Old 06-11-2011, 14:37   #42

Re: KiwiGrip aka 'Don't Slip'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Alan, FWIW, this KiwiGrip stuff is apparently distributed in New Zealand by BM Pacific (Benjamin Moore?), if that helps ring any bells.

Regards,
BM Pacific was sold to Protective Paints Auckland New Zealand and the product sells as Don't Slip
Arzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 14:40   #43

Re: Kiwi-Grip comparable?

Quote:

Thanks,

John
Catalina 27
Don't Slip is the ORIGINAL product which was relabeled. Try Protective PaintsLtd Auckland New Zealand
Arzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 16:10   #44

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Re: KiwiGrip aka 'Don't Slip'

Quote:
Not yet. It seems to clean up pretty well as long as the "stipple" isn't too high and hard to get to with a scrub brush. But. . .likely it won't clean as well as glossy surface.

J
x2 on this. My cream colour has always looked clean (no problem retaining dirt in my experience, but could happen if roller texture is applied late?). The slightly lighter / brighter areas on the deck are the paint. Holding well after 3 years; 'easily' applied over an old rubberised paint.

Only spot I went a bit wrong was applying it too thick & spikey on the cockpit sole. Last bit ... knew I had plenty of paint to spare. Oops.

One good, obvious point about acrylic is it's 'easy as' to clean up after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010533.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	33352  
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 16:32   #45

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Kiwi-Grip comparable?

Quote:

Thanks,

John
Catalina 27
Have used both of these before with good results tinted to whatever colour needed

Parchem Products Page

home