Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2009, 06:27   #1

Which Comes First, Boat or Slip?

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in. Hope this one is okay.

Anyway, got the okay from the admiral and getting ready to pull the trigger on buying my first sailboat big enough that I won't be able to keep it on a trailer. My question is, do you rent the slip first (and risk having it sit empty for a few months), or buy the boat first (and risk not having a place to keep it)?

If it matters, I live in the Tampa Bay area, am looking for a boat around 35' or so, and will NOT be living aboard, but would like to be able to spend the occasional weekend on-board at the dock.

Thanks!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 06:30   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would go down, and check out the marinas themselves. What kind of approach to the marina. What kind of action the water has in, and approaching the marina. What kind of facilities, such as showers, stores close by, etc. etc. All of this while looking for the boat. You can never have enough knowledge. BEST WISHES in both of them coming together for you.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 06:33   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
depends on where you live. but yes I would ask around for available slips and fees .. especially in Tampa area. I heard there was a 5 year wait for dockage at Dunedin city dock. the boat you buy may have an assumable slip.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 06:37   #4

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
We had the same issue with our cat. Since there isn't a whole bunch of options we found a very cat friendly marina here in the Chesapeake Bay area and put a deposit down contingent on the completion of the purchase of the boat. worked out fine and the piece of mind was great. Last thing you want is a boat with no place to keep it or a slip without a boat!

Steve in Solomons
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 06:42   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
My question is, do you rent the slip first (and risk having it sit empty for a few months), or buy the boat first (and risk not having a place to keep it)?
Renting the slip first risks not fitting in the slip, you not closing the deal on the boat, or delays imposed by the sellers or your own real life issues. It can happen to anyone with relatives when least expected.

You may not have a choice where you keep a boat though closest to your home is always the best idea. It's pretty hard to close a boat very fast. Just the process of setting up a surveyor, getting the report back, closing with the money and getting an insurance policy will take time.

You want to be able to spend more than the occasional weekend on the boat at the dock. You'll have boat work to do too prbaly takes at least 4 weekends for tjust the basics. There isn;'t an upper limit as far as I can tell. Try to be close so you can sail some days just because you can see the weather looks great and it just is something you want to do on the spur of the moment. Those can be the best day sails ever.

If the boat is some place when you buy it you have some time to move it. If you need to get on a wait list make sure the deposit is refundable.

All the best of luck getting your boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 07:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
It really depends on the supply and demand for slips in your area.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 07:42   #7

Boat: Newport 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It really depends on the supply and demand for slips in your area.
This is the main thing you need to look at.
All the marinas in my area had long waiting lists, but I found one just across the border that said "No problem, just bring in the boat and we'll get you a slip."
Old 14-09-2009, 07:51   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Another option is making the purchase of the boat contingent on finding a slip within XXX miles of where you live. I bet the broker will jump thru rings of fire to find you a slip to close the deal. LOL

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 09:25   #9

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Don't know about all of Tampa Bay. However right now I can think of three here on the east side. Lands End at Apollo Beach, Shell Point at Ruskin and Regetta Point at Palmeto.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote