Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2014, 15:25   #1

How to prepare factory molded nonskid for paint

I'm looking to paint my deck and am unsure how best to prepare the factory molded nonskid. It's a rather aggressive pyramid shape that is wearing the tops off in some places, and is overall very chalky, and dirty. I have several crazing cracks i have been told are cosmetic only. I believe I can fill them w/an epoxy primer. I plan to use Interlux Perfection for the bright areas, but am struggling to find an acceptable product for the non skid areas. I would appreciate any product, and/or prep info.
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 02:53   #2

Boat: Davidson 31
Re: How to prepare factory molded nonskid for paint

Kiwigrip is a product made specifically for your situation. Easy to follow instructions and plenty of people raving about it. We will be doing our decks with it next season

Shipwright by trade, adventurer by nature
Alistairnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 02:58   #3

Boat: Davidson 31

http://kiwigrip.co/kiwigrip_download...n_detailed.pdf

Alistairnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 03:35   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Interlux makes an additive that is for nonskid. We used that on ours and it did great. Just sanded it light by hand before.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 04:23   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If his is like mine, sanding will only clip the tops off of the non skid, maybe a wire brush to get into the non skid?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 06:47   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Grind flat and fair first. If you just coat over the molded skid, it will look awful.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 06:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Grind flat and fair first. If you just coat over the molded skid, it will look awful.
Damn!

I missed 2 predictions dilly dallying on other threads...

1. Min will be here soon...

2. The only way to do it right is to grind the texture out...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 06:59   #8

Had that same thing on my boat. Used abrasive cleaner (Comet etc.) and a stiff brush. Scrubbed until it was very dull. Wiped down with acetone and painted with 2 part. About 15 years ago the first time. Never pealed and looks good.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 07:14   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If his is like mine, sanding will only clip the tops off of the non skid, maybe a wire brush to get into the non skid?

I've posted this many times before.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-07527-Roloc...c+bristle+disc

If you must go that route.

Old 14-10-2014, 07:21   #10

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistairnz View Post
Kiwigrip is a product made specifically for your situation. Easy to follow instructions and plenty of people raving about it. We will be doing our decks with it next season

Just rolled it on friday...

Single part (water based).

EASY EASY EASY and awesome. Even after hundreds of hours of filling and fairing my cabin top, I still had a lot of blemishes that all vanished with the Kiwi.

I added a bit of water (to thin it out a bit and result a less aggressive skid) for my cockpit coping and more water still for my cockpit seats.

The cabin top is sprayed Awlgrip Fleet White and the white Kiwi looks great next to the Awlgrip.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 07:32   #11

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
I have to disagree stongly with you on that one. I sanded along the angles of the diamond pattern in both directions by hand with a folded piece of sandpaper just to rough it and painted it with the Interlux non-skid additive to give it a "sandy" consistency (not as thick as they recommended) and it looked fantastic and seems like better nonskid then with just the gelcoat. Just like new. It has been fine for 4 years with just a little touch up on some rounded corners that I got a little thin. Way better then the flat non-skid looks.

If the OP wants to try it why not just do the cockpit seats or something to see if they like the look. You can always do the major demolition that is being recommended if you don't like it.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 07:37   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
I have to disagree stongly with you on that one. I sanded along the angles of the diamond pattern in both directions by hand with a folded piece of sandpaper just to rough it and painted it with the Interlux non-skid additive to give it a "sandy" consistency (not as thick as they recommended) and it looked fantastic and seems like better nonskid then with just the gelcoat. Just like new. It has been fine for 4 years with just a little touch up on some rounded corners that I got a little thin. Way better then the flat non-skid looks.

If the OP wants to try it why not just do the cockpit seats or something to see if they like the look. You can always do the major demolition that is being recommended if you don't like it.

Jim

All I can say is, we all have different definitions of "looks fantastic". If you've done exactly what the OP is interested in, why not post some pics for him?

Old 14-10-2014, 07:53   #13

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
All I can say is, we all have different definitions of "looks fantastic". If you've done exactly what the OP is interested in, why not post some pics for him?
DITTO!

I took down all of the original non-skid but was guilty of leaning a bit too much on the grinder from time to time resulting in taking too much off. Add the handrails and 6 self tailing winches on the cabintop which I pulled filled and faired too and there was a still a lot of imperfections left behind.

I have seen a lot non-skid applied over existing non-skid with only partial removal before applying the new coat and I have never been impressed by the quality.

This is a crummy job that will leave your back, shoulders and hands aching long after your take the 17 showers you will need to actually feel clean and it is entirely necessary.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:31   #14

Kiwi grip is amazing... Have used it above deck on the old diamond pattern on two boats. easy peazy looks good. Way better as an actual non skidding surface than the original. Even did the inside of one cat to cover years of blemishes etc....what an improvement. Sorry not retentive enough to sand unfinished interior surfaces to get that shiny look.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:55   #15

Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft

Lets see some closeup pics with good lighting. Many times people have said I did it myself and it looks great, come take a look. Wow from 10 feet away I was not impressed. I feel this might be that type of a situation, if you think its good let us see the proof.
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold, paint