Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 22:24   #91

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Re: Has Anyone Used Copper Coat Antifouling ?

An update, just in case anyone is interested.

After just over two years since I applied Coppercoat my earlier findings stand. Perhaps because of poor priming, the epoxy resin that was applied to all the hull as a base for this product, came off all the metal surfaces like through-hulls. For some reason, it didn't seem to work even when it was attached to said metal surfaces.

On the rest of the surface of the hull, there was a bit of hard growth and some barnacles very loosely attached. A pressure wash as recommended by the manufacturers got rid of practically all of it. A bit of patient cleaning of the hull and then a wash with a soft, green scouring sponge revealed the copper surface, which oxidiced really quickly as it dried up and is now green. This is what is required for it to perform.

Overall, after year two, it is doing what the manufacturers say. It is not a maintenance free product, some cleaning is required from time to time, but it is very easy to snorkel and keep the hull clean (at least in the warm waters where I live) as any barnacles that grow seem not to be able to attach themselves hard to the hull.

Since the metal surfaces have now been stripped, I just painted them with normal antifouling. It took about an hour and since I bought a small quantity, it was also cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronze fittings before cleaning.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	39392  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:07   #92

This year I've been down with the scouring pad 3 times. Same findings as before. Hard growth mostly on soft comes off very easily. Very large areas with none at all, some areas with more but not very much. Easily removed by snorkelling. Not maintenance free but they never claimed it to be.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37   #93

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

If you read the online instruction it tells you not to paint the through hulls or zinc anodes.

If you read the instructions it also tells you that it can be appied over the GRP without a epoxy barrier because copper coat is epoxy barrir itself.

They also tell you that the more muddy and warm the the water the worse the fouling.
But the fouling does come off easily and quickly.

I copper coated mine in 2009.

She was pulled out in 2010 to replace the volvo stern gland (Rubber packing box) cleaned put back in and has been there ever since with minimal growth that tends to be removed as you move through the water
the coppercoat acts slightly the same as shark skin.

Though I did get in the water and clean the prop.

The shark looses scales/skin parasites ietc as it moves so it is really swimming through a permanent Shark skin sou. It is is a multifunctional marvel. Seawater and the countless potential ecto-parasites within it (barnacle larvae, algae, bacteria, etc.) are a constant flow hazard for sharks, for whom moving efficiently through water is an imperative.

Most shark species move through water with high-efficiency in order to catch fast-moving prey, obtain sufficient oxygen through largely passive gills, and maintain buoyancy. Through its ingenious design, their skin turns out to be an essential aid in this behavior by reducing friction drag and auto-cleaning ecto-parasites from their surface. Boat manufacturers have recently taken an interest in how sharks achieve their unimpeded movement through water both because friction drag and the attachment of organisms on a ship’s hull are major sources of energy inefficiency.

As does copper coat loose surface.

Biomimicry Institute - Biomimicking Sharks
Old 07-10-2012, 08:56   #94
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
They also tell you that the more muddy and warm the the water the worse the fouling.
But the fouling does come off easily and quickly.
We cleaned a Hallberg Rassey 43 berthed in the Berkeley Marina earlier this summer. Coppercoat bottom was several years old. The hull was so foul and difficult to clean that I had to charge the owner almost double my usual rate. This poor anti fouling performance is typical for copper-loaded epoxies, in my experience. While YMMV in a different locale, here in the Bay Area I warn my customers to stay very far away from this kind of anti fouling product.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 13:15   #95

Launched a month ago after having our marina apply CopperCoat. Mfg rep was very helpful and responsive. Will get back to you all in a year or two to let you know how it goes.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 13:15   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Mike View Post
If you read the online instruction it tells you not to paint the through hulls or zinc anodes.

If you read the instructions it also tells you that it can be appied over the GRP without a epoxy barrier because copper coat is epoxy barrir itself.

Biomimicry Institute - Biomimicking Sharks
Hi Capitain Mike

I talked to them at the time about their claim of it to be a barrier. They said it was not intended to be an osmosis barrier, but that it had similar properties. As I was removing all the old paints and barrier at the time, I used West System and applied Coppercoat on top. They gave me instructions on how to do it and it worked a treat. As I said before, at least where I am it works as they explained it would. I don't mind the light cleaning I have to do from time to time if it saves me thousands yearly. By now it has started saving me money.
Old 21-01-2014, 09:51   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 8 boats, to many to name

I am the US distributor for Coppercoat and we recommend using an epoxy barrier coat on metal thru hulls with the Coppercoat over that just as extra protection . On hulls built with epoxy or vinyl-ester resin you generally don't need a barrier coat. We do recommend if you have a polyester resin built boat and the boat has a history of blisters use epoxy barrier coat. While Coppercoat is an epoxy and it does add additional protection but it only goes on at about 10-12 mils.
edboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 13:46   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Launched a month ago after having our marina apply CopperCoat. Mfg rep was very helpful and responsive. Will get back to you all in a year or two to let you know how it goes.
So far, its been 18 months and it has performed on our boat exactly as advertised. No issues, there is some aquatic growth (less than before with conventional bottom paint) but it comes off easily.
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 13:55   #99
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
So far, its been 18 months and it has performed on our boat exactly as advertised. No issues, there is some aquatic growth (less than before with conventional bottom paint) but it comes off easily.
what type of growth?
Old 21-01-2014, 13:57   #100

I've got a question : what happens when the region you are in bans the use of copper-based antifouling paint? How do you get this stuff off the hull, which you are going to need to do before applying non-copper-based paint?

For my 31ft boat, a strip to gelcoat followed by re-paint will run you $5000, and that's with normal paint that responds to chemical stripper. To get epoxy off, I don't even know how you'd start.

The word nightmare springs to mind.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 14:00   #101
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
what type of growth?
More importantly; where is the boat located?
Old 21-01-2014, 14:07   #102
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I've got a question : what happens when the region you are in bans the use of copper-based antifouling paint? How do you get this stuff off the hull, which you are going to need to do before applying non-copper-based paint?
1.- Coppercoat is not "paint" and its use might not be banned under any presumed future regulation in your area.

2.- Because of the way copper-loaded epoxies (such as Coppercoat) work, the manufacturer claims "much" lower copper emissions as compared to traditional copper-based anti fouling paints.
Old 21-01-2014, 14:28   #103

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Copper Coat Antifouling long term results?

Captain Mike and Morgan - seems you two have the longest experience. Are you both still happy with the results. As hauling sites to handle 22ft wide are few and expensive, I am seriously considering for this spring.

edboat - spray up side the through-hulls? how about saildrives?

thanks,
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 15:35   #104

Re: Copper Coat Antifouling long term results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Captain Mike and Morgan - seems you two have the longest experience. Are you both still happy with the results. As hauling sites to handle 22ft wide are few and expensive, I am seriously considering for this spring.

edboat - spray up side the through-hulls? how about saildrives?

thanks,
Ed
Hi Ed

Four years on and working fine. Had to do some small repairs on the hull to plug un-used through hulls and when I finished I covered with Coppercoat. It works for me.
Old 22-01-2014, 01:08   #105
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post

For my 31ft boat, a strip to gelcoat followed by re-paint will run you $5000, and that's with normal paint that responds to chemical stripper. To get epoxy off, I don't even know how you'd start.

The word nightmare springs to mind.
Pretty easy actually.

Pressure wash, light sand, apply a high build epoxy primer (barrier coat - Interprotect etc) and then coat with antifoul of choice.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling