Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2010, 09:06   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Gas Fitting on Stove - Help !

Hi,

Today is a multi problem day

I got a new sove, same model as old so it should swap over.

At the back where the gas goes in is just a straight bit of tube ending in nothing. No screw fitting.

The old one has a screw fitting and a small brass washer type thing.

I have tried to get the small brass washer off but it turns around but doesnt slide off the end of the tube.

The stove didnt come with anything like it. But there is one small stailess steel washer type thing (no screw down bolt thing) that could be forced on by a screw down bolt, I think.

what do I do?

Twist like buggery and get the brass thing off the old pipe?
Saw the old pip and try to get the brass bit off (I know that wont work)
Saw the old pip and get the bolt thing off and use the SS washer?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry to be a dumb bum but the shops are closed, Sunday is tomorrow and I'm hungry!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4603.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	18731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4604.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	18732  

Name:	IMG_4605.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	18733  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 09:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
The brass "ring" is called a ferrule and it is not removable without damage. The good news is almost any hardware store will have one.

However, typically compression fittings are not used on gas lines... In fact I believe NFPA states that "flare" or "threaded" connections are what you need.....

That said, if you want to go with the same set up that has served you for years (read between the lines there)... go to your local hardware and get a new nut and ferrule and just check the connection with soapy water for leaks. You're good to go!
Old 28-08-2010, 09:34   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
The brass "ring" is called a ferrule
They named that right: a ferral

OK a harware store in France... that'll be Monday! LOL

Thanks so much for the help.

Mark

Old 28-08-2010, 10:18   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Hi Mark,
It's hard to keep up with you, you've changed your Avatar a couple times lately. Post-dramatic stress I guess. For a minute I thought we had another MarkJ.

Anyway, the ferrel is compressed onto the tubing between the taper in the nut (female) and the taper in the male fitting at the other end.

There are two types of fitting for gas, high pressure and low pressure. The high pressure is like the one with the ferrel. If this is the down stream side of the propane regulator, it shouldn't be putting out more then 7 psi. Most propane fittings can be low pressure (barbed fittings with hose and clamp), with the proper hose!

So, from what I see, temporarily (today) you can slip a hose over the straight fitting and clamp it off to get your cooking done. Just shut off your tank when done.

Then when you can fine the proper fittings you can attach permanently.

What does the hose end look like?

Are the metal tubings the same size?
Old 28-08-2010, 11:01   #5

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
What kind of gas at what pressure? An EXTREMELY short tern fix like one day and turn your gas off when your done cooking at the tank fix is a piece of braided hose (like from the BBQ) and hose clamps. If you have some putty or dope to put on the ends of the hose I would do that too. Bubble check before you spark her up and keep an Eye on it. Should keep you in hot chow till Monday.
Old 28-08-2010, 11:59   #6

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I don't know if this will be any help or not,

Installing a gas connector

Of course a temporary solution is

Dine out until Monday.
Old 28-08-2010, 12:06   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

So, from what I see, temporarily (today) you can slip a hose over the straight fitting and clamp it off to get your cooking done. Just shut off your tank when done.

What does the hose end look like?

Are the metal tubings the same size?
Yes the metal tubings are the same size. I was able to cut the ferral off but it doesnt slide all the way onto the new tube, it goes on half way and then stops.

The other end, as in the end that goes eventually to the gas bottle, is as the photo below, swaged on. So I wont remove that and do what a quick fix as you and Thorin suggest.
I think I should wait till Monday and get the Ferrule.

I wouldn't mind changing the hose, but that ends in another conection (similar) to another pipe into the woodwork. The rubber tube is about 800mm long, swaged and fitted at both ends. I don't know if its an expensive tube or an off the shelf cheap item. At 9 years old it should be changed but I am a tad cash embarassed... And would I have to chane its Ferrule too?

I've never heard of these damn things and now I seem surrounded by them

Thanks for you, and Thorin's advice.

Someone was saying here on the forum the other day that when they start cruising they can stop visiting the forum. But by crikey I NEED it more!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4606.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	18734  

Old 28-08-2010, 12:42   #8

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
It looks like an off the shelf item to me, possibly a Rothenberger propane hose
Old 28-08-2010, 12:46   #9

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
I can only recommend you ask a qualified person to connect it for you. Do not play around with gas if you do not know what you are dealing with!
Old 28-08-2010, 12:55   #10

If you do head off to the hardware store come Monday, don't forget to take the fittings and hose with you as they will need to match up the fitting threads.
Old 28-08-2010, 14:24   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Allied Mistress 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmasailor View Post
I can only recommend you ask a qualified person to connect it for you. Do not play around with gas if you do not know what you are dealing with!
Naw, I'm a qualified person as I was a propane service rep for a national gas company and if you knew how little I know and how simple it is you'd do it yourself...a monkey can do it.

Just remember, if you goof it up there's some monkey looking for work.

The fitting is a compression fitting. The ferrule is not suppose to be re-used. The pressure on the back side should be around 11 column inches; about 1/3 and a bit lb./in^2 . The metric conversion is---->not much pressure.

And, most importantly because I get tired of the nonsense, Propane is a gas. ...as such gas dissipates at a rate equal to the inverse square of its molecular weight. It doesn't stay in the bilge...it stays longer than hydrogen, but it doesn't stay.
wadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 01:01   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadda View Post
...a monkey can do it.

Goodie! I'm qualified!

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Old 29-08-2010, 01:29   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Flare fitting...

It's possible that you need a flare fitting on your plain tube. These need proper tools and may be tricky to get right but when complete would give the best possible permanent connection.

I know it might cost a few schillings but I most strongly recommend that you get a qualified gas fitter to do the connection.

Despite comments to the contrary gas collecting in the bilge of a boat is invisible and may not be noticeable by it's smell.

The explosive power of even a tiny amount of gas inside a boat is catastrophic and can easily destroy the boat and kill any people inside and in the immediate vicinity. The ensuing fire among close packed boats in a marina is difficult to controll and can destroy numerous other boats.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 01:30   #14

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
Quote:
And, most importantly because I get tired of the nonsense, Propane is a gas. ...as such gas dissipates at a rate equal to the inverse square of its molecular weight. It doesn't stay in the bilge...it stays longer than hydrogen, but it doesn't stay.
OK, tell that to the people who managed to blow themselves up; even in a small country like the Netherlands several decks are sent to the moon every year (propane does build up in bilges!).

If people do not know the basics about fitting I will not explain that to them. I do agree that when you know what you are dealing with it's no big deal. I hope you have good liability insurance; I would not like to make the statements in public you just did! I disagree; propane is heavier than air and can and will accumulate in bilges. So far I have missed the most important step in dealing with gas systems; no, I am not going to tell it.

Propane has a LEL (google that if you do not understand what that means) of a nice 2.4% in air.

Eric
Old 29-08-2010, 04:06   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Naw, I'm a qualified person as I was a propane service rep for a national gas company and if you knew how little I know and how simple it is you'd do it yourself...a monkey can do it.

Just remember, if you goof it up there's some monkey looking for work.

The fitting is a compression fitting. The ferrule is not suppose to be re-used. The pressure on the back side should be around 11 column inches; about 1/3 and a bit lb./in^2 . The metric conversion is---->not much pressure.

Sir: the only "nonsense" here is being purveyed by you!

I am a firefighter... I've been one for 23 years. Propane has a vapor density (or weight) that is 1.52 that of air. Meaning it is 1.5 times HEAVIER THAN AIR! IT WILL SETTLE IN LOW PLACES AND WILL NOT DISSIPATE UNLESS DILUTED BY ANOTHER MOVING GAS! A combination of 2.5 to 9.6% in air is explosive. Worse yet it is an asphyxiant which is colorless and odorless unless an odorant is added.

Hydrogen is the lightest element, and will not "settle" in air; it will float up out of the boat. Propane will suffocate you, burn you, freeze you, and blow you up!