Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 11:20   #1

Columbia 38/40 steel backbone?????

I would like information on a Columbia 38 (mid 60s) , and if it has the same internal steel framework that the 40 does. I have used our search feature and not found anything, and googled the 38, and it said it was derived from the C40. It seems much lighter so I dont know. My real question is "Can a surveyor actually inspect the steel, and can needed repairs be done without completely removing the interior??? I realize there are very few of the 38s, so knowledge will be slight, but there were a lot more 40s, and they are supposed to be similar. Anyone know??? Thanks, _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 14:48   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Columbia 38/40 steel backbone?????

There were very few 38's made. The main difference from the 40 is that they put a plug in the keel mold and made separated keel and spade rudder (not a fin keel, though). I suspect that is where the weight difference is. Also, I don't know if the 38 had a center board.

There really isn't any way to inspect that steel structure without disassembling a lot of the boat. The best that can be done is to look in the starboard hanging locker and the anchor locker. Even there, it will be glassed in.

If the structure is really rotted, you will see the glass bulging.

Most owners who have had corrosion problems have just fabricated external chain plates and be done with it. This is the easiest fix. One of the PO's of our 40 actually replaced the whole web with stainless. I don't think this would be worth the cost and effort.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 14:52   #3

Thanks, fabricating an independent system sounds reasonable. I dont like depending on things that cant be inspected. If anyone else has info, I am all ears. _____Grant.
Old 20-12-2015, 15:04   #4

Did you try the Columbia owner website?. I think you can find hull schematics and structural info there. I think it is cyoa.com.

I actually have this info, and could speak more authoritatively about it, but I just lost my computer the other day and all of my info is on it. I can only go by ancient memory right now. Sorry.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 23-12-2015, 16:09   #5

Thanks Mark, I found a couple of more sites, and as far as I can tell, the 38 had the steel backbone. There still wasnt a lot of information on the 38, but more than I had. ____Grant.
Old 24-12-2015, 04:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Columbia 38 Specifications

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 07:13   #7

That's the site and info I was trying to reference!

Mark

Old 24-12-2015, 08:28   #8

Thanks again guys. ____Grant.
Old 24-12-2015, 09:35   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

As a fellow Old Columbia owner, I'd say you got a rare and great boat! Check with the Columbia Owners Yahoo group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ingyachts/info

I have a 29 and I don't know the 38 personally but I am sure someone there can help you out.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 11:14   #10

Thanks Don, but I dont own it (yet), but saw it for sale and wanted to know if there were problems with the steel backbone that I think the 38 and 40 share. I really like the older Columbia designs, including the 29, but with the oddity of the steel framework impeded in the glass, I am trying to learn more. I dont think any other Columbias used that system. _____Grant.
Old 25-12-2015, 10:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Thanks Don, but I dont own it (yet), but saw it for sale and wanted to know if there were problems with the steel backbone that I think the 38 and 40 share. I really like the older Columbia designs, including the 29, but with the oddity of the steel framework impeded in the glass, I am trying to learn more. I dont think any other Columbias used that system. _____Grant.
There is a gentleman on the Yahoo group with a 38 named "Sheer" that I believe is on its way to Alaska. He did a total refit of it so he'd be a good resource.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-12-2015, 11:06   #12

BTW where is that boat? How much do they want? (The two questions my wife will not be happy about!) If you don't get it would you mind posting the link? Hey! I'm just curious!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-12-2015, 17:43   #13

Don, San Francisco Craigslist from Dec 20th. Asking 15K$. I only post this because I have come to my senses, and need to finish several projects before I can get back into boating. I am still wondering about the potential problems with the steel backbone, but for now it is not a pressing issue. Let us know if you go look at the boat??? _____Grant.
Old 25-12-2015, 22:16   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don, if you buy the C38 and the C29 goes on the market, get in touch. Have been thinking of buying an under 29' boat to keep at Oceanside. The C29 has always been a favorite of mine.

Would be interested in hearing more about the steel backbone in the C38/40. Fell in love with a C40 when I was boat shopping a few years back but the boat was over my budget. It had been totally redone as a labor of love by a skilled owner with almost everything on it replaced in the previous few years. It was better than a new boat with a price to match. It was over my budget so didn't get much beyond the mooning stage and didn't discover that they had steel in them. Think those Morgan designed boats are beautiful but wouldn't want to have to deal with replacing the steel if it's a problem.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 10:49   #15

Well, Peter, I'll let you know, but I think my wife is very happy that we don't LIVE in SF, though we visit often! I'd certainly say that boat is worth a close look for SOMEONE, and I hope it is someone who knows and loves those old Columbias. I saw the listing so it looks like the boat is probably ok, but is ready for refitting; could be a bargain for someone who has the time, space and money to do it! I too have had my suspicions of embedded steel but recently I have heard of folks tearing into a couple of old boats to find the steel was fine, so I'd be open to the possibility it too is fine. But the hull is typical of the 60s, pretty tough! On a side note we were just up at the Golden Gate bridge the other day, it was a rainy day and a full double rainbow broke out and it dove down to a little white boat in the little marina at Fort Baker. I told my daughter, the co-captain, that must be a very special boat! Out of extreme curiosity we drove down and found the boat... a Columbia Challenger.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
columbia, steel