Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 11:40   #16

Re: Can resin displace water in chipboard?

The answer is simple.No! Flakeboard ( there are several grades) was not designed to be wet..once water gets in around the open edges,its goodbye.
jerrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:27   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you can dry the wood thoroughly first then take thin epoxy and thin it even more with alcohol or maybe acetone, it will penetrate wood, sound silly, but every one who built fuel powered model airplanes used this method to "fuel proof" the wooden firewalls of models and it works.
Model airplane stuff I know, but get some, try it out first on something else first to see if you like the results, I used to use the high purity alcohol content stuff you get at paint stores, rubbing alcohol has a lot of water in it

http://www.amazon.com/Finish-cure-20.../dp/B001NIC3VW
The down side to thinned epoxy is that it is no more waterproof than the chipboard it bonds too, and adds very little strength. It also doesn't meaningfully improve penetration into the wood. It's a product with no good uses, and a very impressive advertising campaign.

To answer the OP. No resin will displace water once it has entered the wood. The wood must be dried by other means first, to allow space for the epoxy to enter. If the wood is already rotted then there is no real solution other than to cut out the bad and scarf in new wood.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:44   #18

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I am grateful to Greatful, Thanking to Gord and can sleep assuring Snore that its not a deck problem.

It's behind the sink where the faucet farrahs. (Boom-tish).
I am trying to replace the tap - a 10 minute job - and the timber under the laminate is damp, and it can not be replaced easily.

So I am thinking things out slowly.

I have just bypassed the sink by removing the faucet and will not use the sink (yippee!) and will work on drying the timber pending the next (miserable) step.

Mark
Not sure about the "timber" you mentioned-but if the only part that is wet/soggy/swollen is the formica covered oatmeal & horse pucky flakeboard counter top, this is what I did for a similar home repair .
Carefully chisel away the soggy stuff-it releases fairly easily from the formica & contact cement. A hairdryer carefully applied to formica top will help release the old contact cement.
Replace bad flakeboard area with new ply or solid wood & bridge the new patch with another piece of ply or solid wood that can be glued/epoxied to original solid flakeboard,etc.
You may need to remove sink to make this easier & you may have to cut gap in second wood layer if your tap spigots & nuts are too short to go thru that thickness.

Cheers/ Len
Old 11-12-2015, 13:46   #19

Boat: Northwind 7 trailer sailer

If you can soak the area in ethylene glycol ( common antifreeze, 100%) it will likely penetrate the damp area and is a superb anti fungal. I have used this method on my boat and my wife's fungal toe nails. It really works! Stop fungi? [Archive] - The WoodenBoat Forum
Isabella Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 13:49   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Let me add to the voices who say no to solvents in epoxy.

As soon as you add solvent to epoxy, the cured result is not waterproof. It will resist water for awhile but only 100% solids epoxy will be water vapour proof.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 14:11   #21

I have had adequate success with : "GIT-ROT ".
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 14:37   #22

Boat: 41' yawl

Just keep in mind there is a difference between "thinned" epoxy, and "thin" epoxy.

Smith's CPES is "thinned". I only use it places where the solvents can flash off. (I use it as a "primer" under 2-part poly brightwork.) Super watery.

Jamestown Distributors makes a penetrating epoxy under their TotalBoat brand now that has a lot fewer thinners, but still has some. Not sure how much. Never used it. Viscosity = 50CP.

EpoxyProducts.com sells a "Low-V" epoxy, which has no thinners whatsoever. Its just a refined epoxy resin that has a really low viscosity. Viscosity = 175CP.

West system viscosity is about 750CP.

Other viscosities, for reference:

Motor Oil SAE10 or Mazola Corn Oil 50 to 100
Motor Oil SAE30 or Maple Syrup 150 to 200
Motor Oil SAE40 or Castor Oil 250 to 500
Motor Oil SAE60 or Glycerin 1,000 to 2,000
Karo Corn Syrup or Honey 2,000 to 3,000

I'm going to try some deck repair using the low-v epoxy. I'll let y'all know how it goes!
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 15:07   #23

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

I've cut out some wet wood areas and saturated the damp ends with acetone prior to repair. The acetone seems to do a great job at accelerating the evaporation process... From my experience anyway.
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 15:12   #24
Marine Service Provider

Chris,

The issue is that there is no advantage to thin epoxy in almost all applications. Unless working with infusion, vacume bagging, or something equally esoteric. The depth that epoxy penetrates into wood is meaningless. Structurally the weak point is the first cellular layer where there is no epoxy. No matter how deep the epoxy penetrates that is where the bond will fail.

From a waterproofing standpoint again it doesn't matter. The epoxy coating the substrate prevents the vapor intrusion. It never gets to the under layer.

It simply does not matter how viscious epoxy is for 99.9% of applications because the viscosity doesn't effect the finished product in any way.

Finally Smith's CPES/gift rot is absolute junk. There is absolutely no good use for it. Unless you need a non-waterproof epoxy that is a terrible glue, and very expensive.

Old 11-12-2015, 16:21   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

The wood needs to be bone dry and even then the epoxy will not penetrate all that well unless you vacuum bag it.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 16:56   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I have taken them onboard and sold my boat and bought the Queen Mary (with 14 swimming pools and 50 maintenance staff).

I will think it out over the weekend

Of course one of the difficulties is its upside down. I can't push epoxy up into it.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 17:08   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
The wood needs to be bone dry and even then the epoxy will not penetrate all that well unless you vacuum bag it.
It penetrates just fine. Again there is nothing to be gained from epoxy penetrating deep into wood. It adds exactly zero of note except weight. It is the encapsulation of the wood in epoxy that preserves it, not the depth of the penetration.

Old 11-12-2015, 17:38   #28

Boat: Lots of boats.

I will agree that penetrating epoxy by itself will not penetrate wet wood very well, nor will it penetrate solid dry wood. But if you are trying to salvage rotted wood and have access to it, penetrating epoxy does a pretty fine job. Sure, you could tear up your deck or transom and re-fiberglass that section, but unless you are a pro, it never looks the same after that. And the expense to have it done is through the roof.

People that say penetrating epoxy is junk haven't used it or they used it for something it was not intended. I restore old boats and its not my wish to spend thousands on a boat that barely has that much value. I drill holes where needed, use antifreeze/borax to kill spores, dry the wood out, use acetone to displace some of the water, let that dry out, then pour in Total Boat Penetrating Epoxy. Its thin, so you have to dam it off where needed. But when it cures, its pretty damned solid. It might not take all of the flex out of a soft deck, but it vastly improves it. Try it for yourself sometime. Works better than you would think. Look at some of the reviews. It would not review well if it didn't work.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 18:30   #29

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

System three T-88 epoxy is designed to be used on wet wood.

T-88 - System Three Resins, Inc.

"For well over 25 years T-88 has been the most widely used structural adhesive for marine and general woodworking use in the United States. Mixed at a 1:1 by volume ratio, T-88 will cure at temperatures as low as 35ºF. When fully cured, it is unaffected by water, oil, kerosene, and many other chemicals. It will not stain wood and is immune to fungus and rot. T-88 is unique in that it may be applied to damp wood, provided it is worked well into the surface"

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 18:31   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If the wood is dry, thinned epoxy will penetrate it to some extent, and it will waterproof wood to some extent, I've done it too many times on plywood in model airplanes, not much will penetrate unprotected wood faster than alcohol, which is the base for model airplane fuel, and you clean it off with windex, which obviously is water based. Vacuum infusion would of course be better, but how you going to pull that off?

There are many brands of nearly completely waterproof engineered wood, call it chip board or particle board, whatever you want, but it's the adhesive used to hold it together that determines it resistance to water, phenolic resin I believe is one name or type of glue that makes the stuff pretty water resistant, so as with everything else, there is good stuff and not so good stuff, besides get almost any wood wet and keep it wet for long periods like a leaking pipe or something and it will rot.

But it seems what he is after is not structural, but a way to try to prevent further damage, and what's to lose here by trying some penetrating epoxy?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water