Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 12:30   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Brass Seacocks -

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
In every case where I bought an old boat, ( now upto 6 ) I've had all the seacocks surveyed, in several cases some where replaced. I mean big deal. There are other more important things that I'd like to see changed but can't , like good hand holds , proper chart tables , poor engine instrumentation , sharp edges, lack of sea berths etc. I had all the forward doors fall off their hinges in a big seaway in a Gibsea recently the hull flexed so much the doors wouldn't go back.

Dave
None of those other things matter if the boat sinks from under you. I replaced a number of seacocks on an European boat that sailed here on her own from Portugal. The boat was then sold. It started out as just replacing some hoses for the new owner but when the hose barbs began to crumble, not visible to the owner or surveyor, the decision was made. These seacocks do fail. "Good enough" is not right for something as important as a 1.5" + hole in your boat.. If you are happy with that then that's fine, but many are not....
Old 27-11-2012, 12:55   #47
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail

None of those other things matter if the boat sinks from under you. I replaced a number of seacocks on an European boat that sailed here on her own from Portugal. The boat was then sold. It started out as just replacing some hoses for the new owner but when the hose barbs began to crumble, not visible to the owner or surveyor, the decision was made. These seacocks do fail. "Good enough" is not right for something as important as a 1.5" + hole in your boat.. If you are happy with that then that's fine, but many are not....
You miss the point. All production boats are " good enough " they meet the majority of users expectation and do the job they are designed to do. Materials on modern boats are a mess stainless underwater, stainless keel bolts , yuck etc etc. brass seacocks are just one of those " good enough" decisions that all those builders make.

This isn't an excuse, it a fact of how these boats are designed and the decisions made in that design. If the seacocks were failing all over the place , beneteau ( and others) would either change them or go bust. I see neither happening.

For example American AC wiring practices on US boats are commented as unsafe vis a vie EU standards , yet we know that US boats don't regularly electrocute their owners. ( why because its good enough). Good enough is a standard used all through a cost engineered design. What cost does a major production manufacturer have to make say a popular 38 footer. It's a very competitive marketplace, labour costs are increasing as are the social costs of labour. Environmental legislation increases cost and more and more standard compliance is needed. Simply price increases arnt an option , we nearly lost several " high" quality. Swedish companies in the last couple of years , equally look at how many high quality US builders have gone under.

The average punter isn't prepared to pay for this stuff. This is why you get an " average" level of engineering, a boat that is " good enough ".

Dave
Old 27-11-2012, 13:10   #48

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I feel better about my custom boat. The original owner and builder didn't go cheap on this score, perhaps because steel boat owners have a more pressing interest in things galvanic...I know I do.

I do find huge and what I consider fundamental flaws on many current production boats, like lack of positive lockdowns for cabin sole hatches, lack of handholds in logical places, lack of backing plates for deck gear subject to shear...the list goes on.

I do, however, like to peer around in new boats for clever stowage and electronics ideas. I just am not sure I'd like to go to sea in them.

This is a good discussion. Thanks.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 13:14   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

There is a a tendency for some yachts to exhibit good quality fittings where they will be noticed and poor quality equipment where it will not be inspected,
Underwater fittings are vital, but are not readily visible.

An educated consumer would ensure the basics are adequate. I hope through these discussions CF members become educated consumers.

Manufacturers will produce what sells, In the end, we as consumers, make the choices. I don't believe an informed consumer would not choose a brass seacock.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 13:21   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Here is another article that provides some background reading
http://www.paulstevenssurveys.com/upload/Seacocks.pdf
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 13:23   #51
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77
There is a a tendency for some yachts to exhibit good quality fittings where they will be noticed and poor quality equipment where it will not be inspected,
Underwater fittings are vital, but are not readily visible.

An educated consumer would ensure the basics are adequate. I hope through these discussions CF members become educated consumers.

Manufacturers will produce what sells, In the end, we as consumers, make the choices. I don't believe an informed consumer would choose a brass seacock.
So you are saying that if a manufacturer said. dear boat show buyer these seacocks seem to last say 10-12 years and then you might have to replace them, you think they'll walk away !!!

The basics are " adaquate" that all they are.

Dave
Old 27-11-2012, 13:24   #52
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy
I feel better about my custom boat. The original owner and builder didn't go cheap on this score, perhaps because steel boat owners have a more pressing interest in things galvanic...I know I do.

I do find huge and what I consider fundamental flaws on many current production boats, like lack of positive lockdowns for cabin sole hatches, lack of handholds in logical places, lack of backing plates for deck gear subject to shear...the list goes on.

I do, however, like to peer around in new boats for clever stowage and electronics ideas. I just am not sure I'd like to go to sea in them.

This is a good discussion. Thanks.
Sure we can all afford custom boats. And I agree there are huge flaws.

However ...

The conclusion " I'm just not sure I'd like to go to sea in them" is not justified. They are by design " good enough"

Dave
Old 27-11-2012, 13:29   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

On a fiberglass hull for metal thru-hulls, I would not use anything but silicon bronze thru-hull fittings, regardless of what others might be saying. The money saved by going cheap is simply not worth the risk for something that has the potential of sinking your boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 13:59   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
On a fiberglass hull for metal thru-hulls, I would not use anything but silicon bronze thru-hull fittings, regardless of what others might be saying. The money saved by going cheap is simply not worth the risk for something that has the potential of sinking your boat.
Who makes them in silicon bronze?
Old 27-11-2012, 14:02   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Who makes them in silicon bronze?
I don't remember off hand. But I have purchased them in the past. I could research who manufactures them or you could or any member could generously do so.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 14:30   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I don't remember off hand. But I have purchased them in the past. I could research who manufactures them or you could or any member could generously do so.
Most all of the seacocks and skin fittings in the US have been made from 85-5-5-5 bronze for years and years and years. I have some going back 80 years still operable and many of my Cape Dory customers with Spartan 85-5-5-5 tapered cone seacocks approaching 40 years...

85-5-5-5 bronze is also considered/called "bearing bronze", "leaded red brass", "naval bronze" or "leaded gun metal" among others..

I know Buck Algonquin, Groco, Apolo/Conbraco and Perko use 85-5-5-5 bronze and they are the main suppliers to the US market. Silicon bronze is suitable I just don't know anyone offering it these days.

This is what Apollo/Conbraco/Watts describe it as:

"Marine Full Flow Ball Valves are UL Marine approved and manufactured from 85-5-5-5 naval bronze"
Old 27-11-2012, 15:48   #57

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com has a great on-line article on servicing bronze tapered core seacocks. He also mentions two current suppliers:

Spartan Marine Hardware Catalog, seacocks range from 3/4" to 1 1/2" for Yanks
Blakes Seacocks for the European folks
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 16:33   #58
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M
Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com has a great on-line article on servicing bronze tapered core seacocks. He also mentions two current suppliers:

Spartan Marine Hardware Catalog, seacocks range from 3/4" to 1 1/2" for Yanks
Blakes Seacocks for the European folks
Blakes used to be bronze, now DZR

Dave
Old 27-11-2012, 16:43   #59

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Bummer! Buy American. Please!
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 00:59   #60

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M
This Maine Sail's wonderful work...unless I am mistaken.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote