Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 00:19   #1

Boat: Najad 373
Bottom paint for Galapagos?

Hi!
We will go for Galapagos February 2019, and a bit nervous for growth underwater before we get there from Panama.
Currently we use VC17m which was a bad choice for a circum navigation.

Suggested solution is to paint Micron Extra EU,and before that groundpaint with Primocon. We use paint from International.

Thanks
Jonas
Segelplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Bottom paint for Galapagos?

My favorite faint for tropical waters is the Seahawk with tin in it that you can't buy in the US any more
They had it in Colombia last time I passed through; I don't know if it's available in Panama. Worth asking though.
Whatever paint you wind up with, there will be some growth. You just have to snorkel around and scrub it off from time to time.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:20   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segelplaner View Post
Hi!
We will go for Galapagos February 2019, and a bit nervous for growth underwater before we get there from Panama.
Currently we use VC17m which was a bad choice for a circum navigation.

Suggested solution is to paint Micron Extra EU,and before that groundpaint with Primocon. We use paint from International.

Thanks
Jonas
When I was in the Galapagos a few years ago there were boats that dealt with the bottom inspection worry by having a quick stop to scrub while drifting the lee of an island before arrival.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:42   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
My favorite faint for tropical waters is the Seahawk with tin in it that you can't buy in the US any more
They had it in Colombia last time I passed through; I don't know if it's available in Panama. Worth asking though.
Whatever paint you wind up with, there will be some growth. You just have to snorkel around and scrub it off from time to time.

We also use Seahawk Island 44 with TBT in the Caribbean. It is legal there and may be the most popular. We have found it in every chandler. It is highly effective and needs very little attention. It cannot be sold in the US. Tin based paints are banned in many places. The Galapagos bans tin and many bottom paints. If you arrive there with a banned paint you will be in trouble. Check ahead to be sure. I think they may take and analize paint samples when you arrive. You are restricted in where you can anchor and visit without a naturalist on board. We decided that it might make sense to visit by excursion from the mainland.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:16   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Jonas, I have used VC17 once on a previous boat. I didn't think it was very effective as an antifoul, but worse was to come. The following year I pressure washed the hull as normal and then applied a more regular antifoul paint. Which dried and promptly started falling off, peeling in small pieces. Had to take the lot off back to GRP and start again. A dreadful job I have no wish to repeat.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We also use Seahawk Island 44 with TBT in the Caribbean. It is legal there and may be the most popular. We have found it in every chandler. It is highly effective and needs very little attention. It cannot be sold in the US. Tin based paints are banned in many places. The Galapagos bans tin and many bottom paints. If you arrive there with a banned paint you will be in trouble. Check ahead to be sure. I think they may take and analize paint samples when you arrive. You are restricted in where you can anchor and visit without a naturalist on board. We decided that it might make sense to visit by excursion from the mainland.

Thanks for info!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Jonas, I have used VC17 once on a previous boat. I didn't think it was very effective as an antifoul, but worse was to come. The following year I pressure washed the hull as normal and then applied a more regular antifoul paint. Which dried and promptly started falling off, peeling in small pieces. Had to take the lot off back to GRP and start again. A dreadful job I have no wish to repeat.

Pete

Thanks, did you add a primer like Primocon before adding/change antifouling over VC17?
Old 01-10-2018, 07:33   #8

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
This wasn't our experience 3 years ago although it may have changed. They do dive the boat when you arrive to look for growth, but I'm sure they didn't take samples as they issued a clearance on the spot after the divers gave it the all clear. I was going with a tin based/spiked antifouling, I'd be less worried about the Galapagos, and more concerned about where I planned to do a bottom job next. New Zealand and Australia are becoming much more restrictive and I'd be more concerned about increased costs on that end if you were re-doing the bottom there after the South Pacific and testing/mitigation was required.

For the Galapagos, most of the boats we knew, simply gave the bottoms a very good scrub in the Perlas Islands just off of Panama prior to jumping off for the Galapagos. A few friends had terrible performing antifouling, but still didn't have any issues as they were clean of growth when they arrived. We had some tenacious barnacles from Colombia (on 3 month old Micron 66), so when we were becalmed at the equator, I dove over for a quick check of the bottom and scrape off a few small ones that I'd missed. None of us had any issues.

We loved the Galapagos and next time out would try to leave Panama earlier so we could spend at least 2 months there instead of the month we did in 2015. Yes you're restricted on the anchorages you can go to, but we didn't find it to be a problem and even with the still think it's much cheaper than leaving the boat somewhere else to fly in for a land/dive boat excursion.

One thing to consider. The only factor I could link on whether people were satisfied with their time in the Galapagos, was how interested in the biology and geology they were. For those that were really interested in the biology and geology, they didn't allow the costs to grate on them and generally loved the visit. Those that were just casually interested often focused on the costs to the extent that they ultimately ended up hated the Galapagos.

Just my two cents.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post

Thanks, we will pass both Colombia and Panama
Old 01-10-2018, 12:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
When I was in the Galapagos a few years ago there were boats that dealt with the bottom inspection worry by having a quick stop to scrub while drifting the lee of an island before arrival.

Thanks, that is a great solution!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
This wasn't our experience 3 years ago although it may have changed. They do dive the boat when you arrive to look for growth, but I'm sure they didn't take samples as they issued a clearance on the spot after the divers gave it the all clear. I was going with a tin based/spiked antifouling, I'd be less worried about the Galapagos, and more concerned about where I planned to do a bottom job next. New Zealand and Australia are becoming much more restrictive and I'd be more concerned about increased costs on that end if you were re-doing the bottom there after the South Pacific and testing/mitigation was required.

For the Galapagos, most of the boats we knew, simply gave the bottoms a very good scrub in the Perlas Islands just off of Panama prior to jumping off for the Galapagos. A few friends had terrible performing antifouling, but still didn't have any issues as they were clean of growth when they arrived. We had some tenacious barnacles from Colombia (on 3 month old Micron 66), so when we were becalmed at the equator, I dove over for a quick check of the bottom and scrape off a few small ones that I'd missed. None of us had any issues.

We loved the Galapagos and next time out would try to leave Panama earlier so we could spend at least 2 months there instead of the month we did in 2015. Yes you're restricted on the anchorages you can go to, but we didn't find it to be a problem and even with the still think it's much cheaper than leaving the boat somewhere else to fly in for a land/dive boat excursion.

One thing to consider. The only factor I could link on whether people were satisfied with their time in the Galapagos, was how interested in the biology and geology they were. For those that were really interested in the biology and geology, they didn't allow the costs to grate on them and generally loved the visit. Those that were just casually interested often focused on the costs to the extent that they ultimately ended up hated the Galapagos.

Just my two cents.

Thanks, we will consider your experience and find an easy solution!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:24   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segelplaner View Post
Thanks, did you add a primer like Primocon before adding/change antifouling over VC17?
No, just cleaned and painted on the next coat which may well have been the problem.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 14:07   #13

Boat: Adams 40

You WILL need a clean boat bottom upon arrival at Galapagos. Go to Puerto Baquerizo on Isla San Christobal as your first of three only possible anchorages for your boat.You will also need to arrange a visa BEFORE you leave Panama. You can't arrange it upon arrival. THE MAN to do this is Bolivar Pesantes email- bolivar.pesantes@hotmail.com. He is THE agent to use and will advise on acceptable antifoul. As a general rule if it's acceptable in USA or Australia it's likely to be ok in Galapagos, he can also arrange fuel, he or his son will deliver to your boat in your jerry cans. You WILL need to get fumigated by "Rambo" upon arrival and don't be conned to get a fake certificate for half the price in Panama, it's will not be accepted. Re the high cost, just accept it as a once in a lifetime cost but make sure you do a day trip on a speed boat to the lava tunnels. Good luck and have fun, Cheers Dave SV Eliana.
Dave Isom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 16:06   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 'Rogue'

Ronny sanchez will sort you out in santa cruz. We had no questions about which antifoul and the diver didnt even get in the water as he said there were too many sharks... it was super easy and we didnt even have anything organised before we turned up but instead had to stop to sort out a steering issue. $1000 for a week with 7 people. Officials were on board for maybe an hour and it couldnt have been any easier.
All our friends who used bolivar had huge issues and arguments with him. Seems he works with the harbour master to extract more money out of the yachts.
B00B00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Isom View Post
You WILL need a clean boat bottom upon arrival at Galapagos. Go to Puerto Baquerizo on Isla San Christobal as your first of three only possible anchorages for your boat.You will also need to arrange a visa BEFORE you leave Panama. You can't arrange it upon arrival. THE MAN to do this is Bolivar Pesantes email- bolivar.pesantes@hotmail.com. He is THE agent to use and will advise on acceptable antifoul. As a general rule if it's acceptable in USA or Australia it's likely to be ok in Galapagos, he can also arrange fuel, he or his son will deliver to your boat in your jerry cans. You WILL need to get fumigated by "Rambo" upon arrival and don't be conned to get a fake certificate for half the price in Panama, it's will not be accepted. Re the high cost, just accept it as a once in a lifetime cost but make sure you do a day trip on a speed boat to the lava tunnels. Good luck and have fun, Cheers Dave SV Eliana.

Thanks!

Tags
bottom paint, Galapagos, paint, VC17