Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2014, 07:35   #31

Re: Blister pics for Minaret

FWIW...I applied 6 coats of 2000e to my Tayana 37 this past summer. It took 1.5 gallons per coat using a 3/8 inch nap roller and I thought the bottom looked good. There was no difference in coverage between the white and grey. A good website to ask questions is www.yachtpaintforum.com . I certainly asked enough.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 07:57   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Try to stick to 407, I don't like phenolic below the waterline. It's ok under a proper barrier though. You definitely want a minimum of four coats if you are applying with 1/4" nap. If you go to a 3/8" nap you can get the required 10 mils DFT in less coats, but it will look like you applied it with a mop. Only way to get to 10 mils in less coats and have it look nice is spray, but that's a nightmare. Only worth doing if you are going to burnish it. Laying off one direction is just painting 101. In the case of 2000, I also believe it helps the micro platelets lay down flat and overlapping, like shingles on a roof. Not just cosmetic.

P.S.- Its OK. I'm used to being the bad guy who has to deliver the bad news. I may have poor bedside manner, but there it is. The busiest docs always get jaded...
Alrighty then Doc...

So do you think the US SM Fairing is the same/similar as 407? Like I said, I have a 4gal tub of it... 6 gallons of 2000 on the way... 8 total should get me "your" 4 coats... (I am btw taking donations now)

We definitely go 1/4"... I'm not going through all this work for a sea sponge hull profile...

I have to give the unpleasant failure news too on occasion... But of course retesting means more money! (which you gleefully already spent)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 08:05   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
FWIW...I applied 6 coats of 2000e to my Tayana 37 this past summer. It took 1.5 gallons per coat using a 3/8 inch nap roller and I thought the bottom looked good. There was no difference in coverage between the white and grey. A good website to ask questions is www.yachtpaintforum.com . I certainly asked enough.
Thanks! It is definitely W!

This helps for sure on the guesstimate ... And I had not seen that forum before either

Old 18-05-2014, 20:01   #34

Boat: Golden Gate 30

We had a Interlux 2000 barrier coat applied to our hull several years ago and it has blistered badly. When they went to "scuff" the paint, the paint came off easily and a number of blisters in the barrier coat popped, exposing dry gelcoat. I've been going at the hull, trying to grind down the barrier coat for re-application. I believe the 2000 was applied as a "no sand" solution for the bottom paint, as the surface beneath the paint is smooth and shiny in many areas. The boat sat in warm freshwater for about 5 or 6 years.

I've been on the grinder the last few days and am noticing a few small wet spots and blisters as I go (Using a hard pad w/ 36 grit on a Makita gv5010 with a dust shroud). The small wet spots keep popping up and are really shallow, first layer of matting or less. We have a few larger blisters in the laminate itself, as deep as 5/16'', but only 3 or 4 that fit into that category.

We are, obviously, fixing all of the blisters we find and filling those neglected by prior owners. Outside of the blistered areas, I grind down a little bit and the matting appears dry.

I accept that, at some point, we'll have to peel and dry, probably for a while. Doing that in the FL summer is a waste of time, so I'm torn between doing a temporary bottom job with cheap bottom paint and stripping/drying in the winter or doing it all over again with 2000 and Trinidad, then deal with it later.

My concern is that, if I apply the 2000 again (properly preparing the surface this time), will it just blister again if the laminate/matting is wet?

Suggestions?
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 20:18   #35
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
My concern is that, if I apply the 2000 again (properly preparing the surface this time), will it just blister again if the laminate/matting is wet?

Suggestions?

Yes, it will. Dry until you achieve 15 or less (preferably less) everywhere on the bottom using the GRP-33. Active drying is much faster than passive. Research Hotvac if it will be a big job. If not, there are many threads here on other methods of drying.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 20:23   #36
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Alrighty then Doc...

So do you think the US SM Fairing is the same/similar as 407? Like I said, I have a 4gal tub of it... 6 gallons of 2000 on the way... 8 total should get me "your" 4 coats... (I am btw taking donations now)

We definitely go 1/4"... I'm not going through all this work for a sea sponge hull profile...

I have to give the unpleasant failure news too on occasion... But of course retesting means more money! (which you gleefully already spent)

Did ya go with US? How's it goin?

Old 18-05-2014, 23:54   #37

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
...the paint came off easily and a number of blisters in the barrier coat popped, exposing dry gelcoat...
the surface beneath the paint is smooth and shiny in many areas...
am noticing a few small wet spots and blisters...
a few larger blisters in the laminate itself, as deep as 5/16''...

I'm torn between doing a temporary bottom job with cheap bottom paint and stripping/drying in the winter or doing it all over again with 2000 and Trinidad, then deal with it later...
Instead of throwing $ away on materials you'll only have to completely remove, better to make necessary repairs and splash it without bottom paint. You'd need some extra bottom cleaning for the season, until you're prepared to do the job right.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 05:22   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Did ya go with US? How's it goin?
Ugh...

I am "going" to go with the US "when" I get a chance to jump back on the project... Family coming from out of town for a month, and 4,298 line items on the "honeydooo" list has been reduced to 3,012...

Three day rain just ended, and weather is 82-87f PERFECT the next few days to finally to blast this out... rest of the 2000 arrives Tuesday... today is finish prep day...

The US stuff seems fine... The description jives with 407 the best, I just don't prefer the cream color... There really won't be that much material on the boat either... I'll bet I use less than 1/2 gal...

I'll take pics today!!!!!!!!

Old 19-05-2014, 06:14   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Ugh...

I am "going" to go with the US "when" I get a chance to jump back on the project... Family coming from out of town for a month, and 4,298 line items on the "honeydooo" list has been reduced to 3,012...

Three day rain just ended, and weather is 82-87f PERFECT the next few days to finally to blast this out... rest of the 2000 arrives Tuesday... today is finish prep day...

The US stuff seems fine... The description jives with 407 the best, I just don't prefer the cream color... There really won't be that much material on the boat either... I'll bet I use less than 1/2 gal...

I'll take pics today!!!!!!!!

Throw a little pigment in it if you want a contrasting color for ease of sanding. If you don't have any handy, you can use blue steel dye penetrant. I often use it mixed with acetone as a guide coat too, it's the bees knees. Keep at it!

Old 19-05-2014, 08:27   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Throw a little pigment in it if you want a contrasting color for ease of sanding. If you don't have any handy, you can use blue steel dye penetrant. I often use it mixed with acetone as a guide coat too, it's the bees knees. Keep at it!

CONFLICT AT THE CASTLE ...............

Honeydoo list being argued as more pressing.... I completely disagree...

I will however be able to finish up the rudder, which turned out SPECTACULAR BTW !!!

And even more importantly... barrier coat and bottom coat experiment time... as the temps are going to be similar the next few days...

Unfortunately that means the guys dying for an answer in the boat shooting thread are going to be left hanging a little longer !

PS: Great tip on the dye... I've not used colorant for fairing additive... I have used a shot of spray paint in cabo with great results...