Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 07:33   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
Unhappy Beware the Low Priced Boat

I started posting on CF after buying a boat off Ebay for pocket change. I've had many boats, and worked on and aboard many more. I ran outa juice fixing, and changing, and epoxying this one. One day I didn't care anymore.

The 40 yr old Cal was highly modded but the PO did a poor job on most of it. Tried to sell as a continuing project but my little Cal 25 found no buyers; couldn't even give it away, so it has gone to Cal heaven with the little diesel to soon be powering some kind of pump on a farm.

As we took the lead out (with an excavator), the "encapsulation" was full of water and the lead was loose. A rapid capsize would surely have seen the 1700# chunk come thru the sole and right on out the cabin top. Nothing good would follow that I am sure. Something to think about.

I like Cal boats and have had several. I report this event as informational. Cheap boats are not always the deals they may appear to be. RIP boat.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 07:36   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Beware the Low Priced Boat

Did you take any pics (or Vid) as she went to Cal heaven?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 07:52   #3

A buddy got a pic of the lead removal. Hasn't sent it to me yet. Will post. I was out of beer to cry in after that and took off before boat became pieces small enough to fit in dump truck. Guy called me that night and said the deed was done. His cost was $180 to landfill. He said he "did" 5 boats last week. He has a process to turn .10 per # lead into .65 per #.

My option was to abandon boat in Town Creek as so many others have done. This feels better. I cleaned up my mess.
Old 30-06-2013, 08:02   #4

Thanks for the story BC. We're in the market for a larger boat, possibly 25 to 27 ft this step, and I keep feeling the pull of inexpensive (sub -$5k) boats in that size... but we are also mindful of stories like yours.

And it also reinforces the decision we made 7 years ago to buy a small but solid trailerable sailboat, whose simplicity and low maintenance cost has kept us on the water all this time. Not an ounce of regret over that purchase...

BC - so how much of the boat were you able to recycle or sell, besides the lead?
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:03   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Lead to gold! Nice.

Cudos for being responsible.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 30-06-2013, 08:04   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Sorry to hear about the boat. They do, almost, have personalities and it is sad day when the go for whatever reason.

Hope you get another one soon.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:10   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I wouldnt be selling the lead for scrap... Dive weights are rediculusly expensive $5 per pound. Make a mould and melt away!!!

Prolly be able to afford a 50 footer

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:26   #8

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
I am in need of all kinds of bits and pieces. Will you be selling them?
Old 30-06-2013, 09:09   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
A buddy got a pic of the lead removal. Hasn't sent it to me yet. Will post. I was out of beer to cry in after that and took off before boat became pieces small enough to fit in dump truck. Guy called me that night and said the deed was done. His cost was $180 to landfill. He said he "did" 5 boats last week. He has a process to turn .10 per # lead into .65 per #.

My option was to abandon boat in Town Creek as so many others have done. This feels better. I cleaned up my mess.
I was told that lead prices were going up and up,reloaders and gov.buying it all up ! wonder why!?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 09:25   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

based on recent threads it sounds that you tossed away a blue water boat
Old 30-06-2013, 09:38   #11

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

I think moral of story is salvage boats are salvage boats. Either you are in it for the long haul to totally restore or should save pocket change for a charter sail or something more beneficial. Plenty of good old boats, low priced that I would love to save, but I know I never will have time or money to start from scratch, so I do not buy in in the first place.

Sorry it did not turn out well for you.
Old 30-06-2013, 11:35   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Thanks for taking care of it rather than leaving it for someone else to clean up.

It's always hard to see an abandoned boat or boat project just sitting somewhere creating an ecological mess and becoming an eyesore.

You did the right thing.

kind regards,
Old 30-06-2013, 12:11   #13

Unhappy Re: Beware the Low Priced Boat

Bud is attempting to send pics from phone. One so far. We're low tech ol pharts down heah in the salt marshes.

The salvor is a good friend that I owed a giant favor to, so he got the lead and diesel and assorted metal thingies for making everything go away.

I know, I know... life is hard choices. The #25 Barlows are not being sold for scrap. Mast will soon be a gate.

I thought long and hard about the lead. And salvaging/selling everything else too but I've had health issues and ....

I had the boat on a cradle sitting on a car trailer in yard. I could have cut off the keel but then what? I'd have had to cut the 1700#s into 34 chunks to even move it.

That said, Mark, we all have access to dive lead molds. I'll raise the issue with Craig the salvage guy but he's a bigtime diver too and worked at the dive shop before me. Must be a reason he doesn't do just that. I'll guess that it's the time factor.

This is the same guy that jumped from an airplane into the ocean off Hatteras to salvage a boat that was "sinking" when owners hit the big red button the day before. He cuts off old pier pilings underwater with pneumatic saws. Craig Cannon, a legend at 40.

Jean, my next boat won't be much longer than the last so the good stuff I've stashed may be needed in future. At the moment I have a large race car trailer for sale (1200), a better than nothin' full-batten main (100), and some little stuff. I'll post in classified. PM me with any with specific request. "My people" have people.

Here's how Craig removes hardware. Took 5 sec. Winch was undamaged. Had to go over to the local beer joint to find someone to run a Smartphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130628_134044.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	63379  
Old 30-06-2013, 12:28   #14

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Inhaling fumes from melting lead can give you permanent brain damage, among other ailments. The best advice is NOT to melt lead; leave it to the pros.

Mauritz
Some days you DING and some days you BAT...
Old 30-06-2013, 12:34   #15

pirate Re: Beware the Low Priced Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
based on recent threads it sounds that you tossed away a blue water boat

Yes sir. Here's the actual Cal 25 that went around the world. The couple had two children along the way. And Dove was a 24. Next for me may be a Cal 27 or 29. I like 'em: lite and fast. Small but real boats without the silly stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	worldcrusiersml.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	63381