Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2018, 15:04   #1

38 foot steel cutter build

This is my 38 foot Steel Dick Koopman Cutter called Zora

I am covering the build over on my youtube

I'll post updates here weekly

Any question please let me know

rhysmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 13:25   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: 38 foot steel cutter build

Good luck with your project - I'll be looking forward to your updates.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 14:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, including the questions. All with the sole intent to help you.

I watched 80% of your posted video. But most of it seemed to be about the boat you gave away. I clicked because I was curious about the steel boat.

I might have missed something.

I suggest the following information be posted soon, so readers on CF will understand some basic info on your series, as it relates to your steel boat.

1. Where are you (and boat) located?
2. How old is the steel boat? Tell us more about it. Have you ever sailed it? Was it bought unfinished? Does it have any noteworthy history? Etc
3. How long have you owned the steel boat? Is it New to you?
4. Did you have any part in the original build of the steel boat?
5. How long do you anticipate the refit to take? Do you have a target date for completion?
6. Where do you intend to sail the steel boat?

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 14:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy!

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, including the questions. All with the sole intent to help you.

I watched 80% of your posted video. But most of it seemed to be about the boat you gave away. I clicked because I was curious about the steel boat.

I might have missed something.

I suggest the following information be posted soon, so readers on CF will understand some basic info on your series, as it relates to your steel boat.

2. How old is the steel boat? Tell us more about it. Have you ever sailed it? Was it bought unfinished? Does it have any noteworthy history? Etc
5. How long do you anticipate the refit to take? Do you have a target date for completion?

Good luck.
Hey mate just saw this, i was having trouble accessing my account

Ya, my older vids are pretty poor to be fair.. it was a big deal when i did give away the boat so i guess that's why the videos at the time centred on that. Hope you saw some more recents

We are in Ireland, south coast

She's about 35 years old, Dick Koopman design that suffered a fire in 1998 that gutted her. Then she was put on the hard and suffered quite bad rot over the next 15 years. Then a guy bought her and did a huge amount of steel work up until Feb, when i got her.

Bought it in Feb 18

I wasn't even born

Target date is June 2020

It would be easier to tell you where i dont want to sail her! Hoping to circumnavigate, cross the Atlantic, through the panama canal and onwards.

Below are the day i got her to now

Old 03-12-2018, 14:54   #5

And here she is after 20 years sitting and waiting to spread her wings

Old 03-12-2018, 15:18   #6

Well done, having saved a boat from certain death by investing a fair amount of capital and a huge amount of work and time I understand whats involved.
I hate seeing boats die. I especially hate seeing boats killed when folks should move them on to someone ....anyone.... who will keep them alive.
Boats should go through multiple owners, not visa versa.
Well Done!!!
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 16:57   #7

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Also mate- where are ya in the south of Ireland? That looked suspiciously like Kinsale marina...
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 18:15   #8

Ruysmate, you should get onto the thread of the "HULL SHAPE AND BEHAVIOUR IN HEAVY WEATHER" It is about an older steel boat that a family is thinking of buying and rebuilding. You sound like you have just done that. ___Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
Also mate- where are ya in the south of Ireland? That looked suspiciously like Kinsale marina...
Have you been here before?
Old 08-12-2018, 03:02   #10

My mate found a pretty cool photo in his archives this week. in the below image (taken c. 1998 by his dad) you can see a green boat in the foreground on legs. That's my best friends boat, and the boat i learned to sail on and crossed the atlantic on and have done pretty much all of my sailing on. (bear in mind we were both about 8/9 years old when the photo was taken)

In the background, you can see a red boat against the pier with a fire engine looming nearby. Look familiar?

This was the day Zora was burned, and the last time she was afloat until now... Cool for a piece of her history to fall into place.

Then after about 15 years of neglect

Old 08-12-2018, 11:39   #11

Those photos are enough to put 99% of people off. It looks like you have done a great job (re-birth) of what most people would have scrapped. Good Sailing! ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Those photos are enough to put 99% of people off. It looks like you have done a great job (re-birth) of what most people would have scrapped. Good Sailing! ____Grant.
Just to re-iterate that i didn't do the steel work, i got her after that was done. I agree, she was definitely a gonner!
Old 14-12-2018, 15:08   #13

i've finally managed to get the cabin sole in the saloon down, I found it really tricky to decide how i wanted it to fit together and where i wanted to access..

Anyway, details in the vid

Old 03-02-2019, 13:50   #14

Things are progressing well on Zora. The interior bulkheads are now done, and we are moving on to electrical conduit and insulation

Rhys
Old 05-02-2019, 14:20   #15

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

"5. How long do you anticipate the refit to take? Do you have a target date for completion?

Target date is June 2020"

Rhys

All the very best with your project but I find your target date of around 18 months quite optimistic (nothing wrong with that)

When I started my yacht people who "have been there, done that" told me the hull/deck is the easy part and represents about a third of the overall effort. I didn't believe them then but I certainly do now!

I read recently it takes Hallberg Rassy 7½ months to build one of their 40 footers. And they have a team of builders, sub contracors and f/g molds already made up.

Would love to meet you on your circumnavigation!

Clive
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, steel