Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 16:35   #46

Re: Yanmer Turns Over Won't Fire

Just looked at the pic again, electric fuel pump or gravity fed? Possible switch is for electric fuel pump? if it is off............................................... ..
Halifax Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 17:20   #47
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Sailor View Post
Just looked at the pic again, electric fuel pump or gravity fed? Possible switch is for electric fuel pump? if it is off............................................... ..
If its standard, then mechanical fuel pump but with an older boat, who knows what POs have done .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 18:24   #48

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Here is a top view of my 2GM20 in case you have other questions about the engine in general.

The air cleaner was off on the day the photo was taken
Very pretty. However you should not bend your fuel cut off wire around like that. It makes future adjustments more likely to break the wire. I don't even know why I'm mentioning this but why no lock washers on the adel clamps?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:08   #49
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Very pretty. However you should not bend your fuel cut off wire around like that. It makes future adjustments more likely to break the wire. I don't even know why I'm mentioning this but why no lock washers on the adel clamps?
Re the wire - you are of course, entirely correct. At the time of installation, I looked at the excess wire and thought it looked ugly hanging free in the breeze. I couldn't bring myself to cutting it off so returned it and wrapped it. If any future adjustment is needed I reckon it will be because the wire has stretched not shrunk and I can cut the excess then...

No lock washers on adel clamps because I used loctite. A better question would be why no flat washers on the adel clamps.... and one that I have no suitable answer for.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:27   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
A better question would be why no flat washers on the adel clamps.... and one that I have no suitable answer for.
Because Mrs. Wottie had you on the clock for dinner... We all know the fire drill on that one...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:42   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Here is a top view of my 2GM20 in case you have other questions about the engine in general.

The air cleaner was off on the day the photo was taken

Also looks like aircraft wire and DG clamps?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:17   #52

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
As you have been cranking the engine without it starting make sure that your exhaust system is drained of water and that the water intake sea cock is closed. You wont flood a diesel with fuel but you can flood it with sea water and that could be a disaster. Open the sea cock as soon as it starts. If the engine wont turn over you may have water locked it.
This might be slightly off topic, but how does one remedy a cylinder full of sea water should one make this mistake?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:19   #53

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Good luck starting motor looking forward to hearing solution. The switch could be for a bilge pump. Whatever the switch did it looks well past its use by date

Sent from my D6653 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:24   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Head View Post
This might be slightly off topic, but how does one remedy a cylinder full of sea water should one make this mistake?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Depends on how one discovered said cylinder of water, and how long the water has been in there...

If you were cranking and it slammed hard hydrolock style.... There's a moderate chance of hard part damage...

Pull the injectors, crank the engine, blow it out with air... and find religion...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:30   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Turn off sea cock, pull all injectors, motor her over and it will blow the water out, plenty of oil of some form down each injector hole wouldn't hurt either.
If you have de-compression levers, that would allow the water to escape, but I believe it's important to get oil into the cylinders ASAP.
Plus it's likely some water has gotten by the rings and into the pan, so get it started and run it, be prepared to change oil if it looks milky at all.

If you get it out soon likely there may be no damage from corrosion, damage from a sudden stop is possible though, I've even seen connecting rods bent, more often that not if the engine isn't running, there is no damage.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:20   #56

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Turn off sea cock, pull all injectors, motor her over and it will blow the water out, plenty of oil of some form down each injector hole wouldn't hurt either.
If you have de-compression levers, that would allow the water to escape, but I believe it's important to get oil into the cylinders ASAP.
Plus it's likely some water has gotten by the rings and into the pan, so get it started and run it, be prepared to change oil if it looks milky at all.

If you get it out soon likely there may be no damage from corrosion, damage from a sudden stop is possible though, I've even seen connecting rods bent, more often that not if the engine isn't running, there is no damage.

Well... this is a SB12. Decompression lever was fully open. I wasn't cranking with the starter, I was hand cranking it & the motor got real hard to turn over. This was a few weeks back. I had got it in my head that the motor had sat for a bit & I didn't want anything to seize up while I address numerous other "boat issues" (new to us boat) so gave the hand crank a couple spins. I now know to keep the seacock closed when performing this stunt...

I'll be working on the raw water system this weekend & it sounds like I need to pull the injector while I'm down there.

Thanks for the replies.
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:45   #57

Boat: Sandibar 35

Sorry for thread drift, but this is related and maybe useful to the op. My boat has an ole Nissan marinized cd17 diesel. Two helms and hence two ignitions. Fires no problem from cockpit by just giving some revs and turning the key. Impossible to start from inside, although the throttle works after start. When I turn the key inside the engine cranks without problem, but won't fire up. It has an electric diesel pump. Is this supposed to pump all the time or just during start? My hunch is that the problem is related to this electric pu. I.e. the inside ignition does not engage the pump. Are there other possible causes that anyone can think of?
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:09   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Sorry for thread drift, but this is related and maybe useful to the op. My boat has an ole Nissan marinized cd17 diesel. Two helms and hence two ignitions. Fires no problem from cockpit by just giving some revs and turning the key. Impossible to start from inside, although the throttle works after start. When I turn the key inside the engine cranks without problem, but won't fire up. It has an electric diesel pump. Is this supposed to pump all the time or just during start? My hunch is that the problem is related to this electric pu. I.e. the inside ignition does not engage the pump. Are there other possible causes that anyone can think of?
I'm guessing that maybe the electric fuel pump is only wired to the ignition switch that works? Maybe both switches need to be on to run from the other location?
Yes the fuel pump needs to run all the time you run the engine.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:18   #59

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Sailor View Post
Had Perkins, Detroit and John Deere engines. all were far more complex than mine and most Yanmars i have seen. Older model Yanmars are just air and fuel with a "spinny thing" that goes around in the front.

If it won't start, fuel or air, compression next (lever not right ? ). when our old motors would not shut off, cables broke, we used to hold a glove over the air intake and that shut them down pretty quick. And this is in the great white north, 12 months a year, NO GLOW PLUGS either, oil heaters, small sprays of WD-40 or started fluid on those days below -20 C.

Good fuel, clean air, change the oil, my Great Grand Kids may change it out if it breaks then.
When the beat dozer won't shut down, burning sump oil. I'd use the weather gear">foul weather gear jacket, I kept on the seat, to smuff the air.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:27   #60

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
When the beat dozer won't shut down, burning sump oil. I'd use the foul weather gear jacket, I kept on the seat, to smuff the air.
Sorry for the drift but one can run away on sump oil once the fuel is turned off.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote