Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 16:02   #1

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom
Which exhaust hose to buy?

My boats Yanmar engines wet exhaust hose needs to be replaced as it’s looks like it has boils on the outside. It 21 feet overall and goes through 3 bulkheads, and is 3 inch ID. The hose I’m replacing is black with wire wound core. Seems like a lot of choices out there as to what to buy. The hose does have one pretty tight bend where it goes from the thru hull up in a big bend loop and back down to prevent water from being pushed into the boats exhaust hose, Its like a 3 foot rise.
So what hose do you all recommend and why. Going to be a bear getting it out and back in.
Why do you think it’s getting these boils, from overheating or from standing water inside the hose?
Thank you all.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 16:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Which exhaust hose to buy?

My guess is that the boils are caused by the wire rusting in the hose. Wire reinforced hose (Hard Wall) often fails this way. I prefer soft wall hose when possible but it only works for pretty straight runs.

I sold Trident brand hose for many years and I trust their quality. Here is a link to their web page showing the various exhaust hoses they make.
https://tridentmarine.com/product-ca...-exhaust-hose/
Old 07-01-2019, 16:39   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Wire reinforced top quality trident exhaust hose.....
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 16:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
^^^^^ Like he said.

Somebody managed to feed the original hose through the places where it goes, so can you. Do it right, you don't want to do it again.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 16:49   #5

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

I think your opion hopcar around on where the boils came from is correct as the boils are most prominent in a low spot of the hose where water inside the hose sat when engine was not running.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 17:14   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
My boats Yanmar engines wet exhaust hose needs to be replaced as it’s looks like it has boils on the outside. It 21 feet overall and goes through 3 bulkheads, and is 3 inch ID. The hose I’m replacing is black with wire wound core. Seems like a lot of choices out there as to what to buy. The hose does have one pretty tight bend where it goes from the thru hull up in a big bend loop and back down to prevent water from being pushed into the boats exhaust hose, Its like a 3 foot rise.
So what hose do you all recommend and why. Going to be a bear getting it out and back in.
Why do you think it’s getting these boils, from overheating or from standing water inside the hose?
Thank you all.
I don't know what brand my hose is, (it is not marked) but it is black and wire wound and 3.5 " ID. It too has about a 3-4' rise and back down and a length of about 18ft, and exits the transom above the water line.

It came with the boat so assumedly it was installed in 1979. I've had it since 1986. I never changed it and it has no visible boils or flaws. This is the 2nd engine using this hose and we have 6500 hours on this engine.

Get good hose from a good marine engine store. It will last.
Old 07-01-2019, 17:17   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
I think your opion hopcar around on where the boils came from is correct as the boils are most prominent in a low spot of the hose where water inside the hose sat when engine was not running.
When you remove the old hose, cut it open and let us know what was going on.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:15   #8

Boat: Catalina 30 TR

I went with a Trident Hardwall Exhaust Hose, series 250 for a 1980 Catalina 30. My son and I were upside down for most of the install and it was suggested to cut a round hole behind the stove to get around a notorious hard bend area on this boat. Reading about other installs for your boat may help with the frustration of installing. Good luck!
CShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:16   #9

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Ugh. Do not get Trident hose for this. yes they make a good quality hose but the new generation Vetus hose is a pleasure to work with. Bends super easy so installation of my hoses took 15 minutes instead of hours. Yes it's more expensive but once you use it you'll never use anything else. I'm replacing the head hoses with it as they need. So much nicer. Goes onto the fitting really well too. Use the T-Bolts not the standard hose clamps.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post

I don't know what's so hard.

You asked about "exhaust hose."

So> You buy exhaust hose.

They actually make stuff called exhaust hose.

I replaced ours a few years ago, 17 feet.

Exhaust hose.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 15:35   #11

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I suggest you buy flexible exhaust hose such as the Vetus hose mentioned above. You can identify it by the corrugations. The smooth, more rigid hose is very hard to work with and generally needs to be cut very close to the finished length.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 17:07   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Exhaust hose with wire reinforcement is what i used-cant remember the brand but the stuff was pretty stiff- the job was a beast- 30 feet to replace- i few things i learned along the way-- use t-bolt clamps and double clamp everything.it helps a bunch if two people are involved - one pushing the other pulling-- i cut the lead end of the hose into a tapered shape to help get it started in holes and ran a rope through the course then pulled on the rope-- dont try to make the big bend with the hose- instead go to Centech website and buy the high temp elbows and 180 degree fittings that they make- clean easy and allows you to install much more quickly-- when fitting hose over the elbows use a heat gun to soften first--HUGE difference- practice on a piece of scrap hose so you get an ideal of how much heat to use- last big lesson i learned- dont try to get a 3 inch hose through a 3 1/8 inch hole - CUT A BIGGER HOLE to allow the hose to get through - yeah it is not quite as pretty but i cant remember the last time i was showing off my hose hose routings to anyone. best tool to cut the holes bigger was a FEIN tool-- harbor freight sells a knock off if you dont want to spend the big bucks ($250) on the FEIN-- it is about 29 bucks and will do the onetime job easily. i might mention that the FEIN tool is probably one of my most used tools - cutting, scraping, sanding, unbelievably useful. NOTHING beats it for cutting out a spot for a new switch or scraping off old caulk etc. Good luck with your project!
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 19:08   #13

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
Exhaust hose with wire reinforcement is what i used-cant remember the brand but the stuff was pretty stiff- the job was a beast- 30 feet to replace- i few things i learned along the way-- use t-bolt clamps and double clamp everything.it helps a bunch if two people are involved - one pushing the other pulling-- i cut the lead end of the hose into a tapered shape to help get it started in holes and ran a rope through the course then pulled on the rope-- dont try to make the big bend with the hose- instead go to Centech website and buy the high temp elbows and 180 degree fittings that they make- clean easy and allows you to install much more quickly-- when fitting hose over the elbows use a heat gun to soften first--HUGE difference- practice on a piece of scrap hose so you get an ideal of how much heat to use- last big lesson i learned- dont try to get a 3 inch hose through a 3 1/8 inch hole - CUT A BIGGER HOLE to allow the hose to get through - yeah it is not quite as pretty but i cant remember the last time i was showing off my hose hose routings to anyone. best tool to cut the holes bigger was a FEIN tool-- harbor freight sells a knock off if you dont want to spend the big bucks ($250) on the FEIN-- it is about 29 bucks and will do the onetime job easily. i might mention that the FEIN tool is probably one of my most used tools - cutting, scraping, sanding, unbelievably useful. NOTHING beats it for cutting out a spot for a new switch or scraping off old caulk etc. Good luck with your project!
I had 3 1/2inch trident hose on my power boat, it lasted 6 years before cracking from rusting wire reinforcing. It was very hard to remove as there were quite a few bends, i found an easy way was to drill a hole in pipe then use a ratchet strap to pull pipe off fittings. I replaced pipe work with vetus exhaust hose, it was easier to work with but who knows how long untill wire rusts. Wish they would use stailess steel.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3507.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	183529
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 19:13   #14

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have used trident wire reinforced exhaust hose, the wire keeps the hose from collapsing on tight bends, and it is a very good quality hose. Where you are describing going up from the through hull, a bend, and back down again, shouldn't you be using a vented loop there as a siphon break to keep seawater from back siphoning into the muffler and into the engine? That would also make it easier to make a vertical run into a vented loop, then a vertical run back down and not have to create a tight bend with the 3" hose, which I am sure will be a wrestling match
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 10:02   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I don't know what's so hard.
You asked about "exhaust hose."
So> You buy exhaust hose.
They actually make stuff called exhaust hose.
I replaced ours a few years ago, 17 feet.
Exhaust hose.
Stu is light years ahead of me on knowledge, but I sympathize with the OP very much right now. My question is: when is exhaust hose NOT exhaust hose? Or even better, when is something that is NOT exhaust hose suitable for use as an exhaust hose?

I replaced the exhaust hose on my 1989 Catalina MKII within the last year or so. It is time to renew my insurance and the insurance company requested a haul-out and survey prior to renewal. Low and behold, the surveyor noted as a Priority II item the following:

The exhaust hose from the muffler to the transom was USCG Type A2 marine "fuel" hose. Recommend that the exhaust hose be changed to marine type "wet exhaust" hose to meet ABYC 1.7.1.5 standards and the
continuous temperature ratings required for marine exhaust hose.

Happy Days, right? I went back to the vendor, Amazon Rubber, and they claimed, (they are very helpful, btw), that the hose meets SAE J2006. On the picking list it states that the hose meets SAE J1527.

When searching on both J2006 and J1527 together under J2006 a technical reference is made to J1527 as follows:

Rationale: This document is being modified in order to update the ozone test concentration to be consistent with other marine hose related test specifications. Specifications including SAE J1527 and ISO 7840 require an ozone test concentration of 100 mPa (100 pphm). This concentration will be incorporated into SAE J2006.

Whatever that means. https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2006_201302/

However, looking at the info sheet for the product, (attached), it states that "It meets SAE J1527 Type A2 and SAE J2006, R2 specification and is rated at full vacuum (30 inches Hg).

So I guess it's OK to use. What do y'all think about that?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bellowsflex Info Sheet.pdf (228.7 KB, 34 views)
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust