Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2013, 19:23   #1

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox
Tough Question...I'm Replacing My Engine, An Older Yanmar...

with a new three cylinder Yanmar or Volvo Penta, diesel. I'm a sailor first, not terrific with engines, though I know how to keep them running. Which company would you choose and why? I like both products. Maybe you knowledgeable folks out there have a couple of good ideas. I have owned a VP previously, also.

Thx, in advance.

Mike
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 19:29   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Tough question...I'm replacing my engine, an older Yanmar...

Mike, why have you restricted yourself to those two marques? You should perhaps also consider the Kubota based engines like Beta and Nanni. they have a lot of enthusiastic users, ourselves included.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-03-2013, 19:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

An old friend who has been sailing for 40 years put a Beta Marine Kubota in his Westsail and loves it. Smooth, quiet and easy maintenance. The Beta Marine engines are designed with all the maintenance parts like pump impellers, belts, etc to be easily accessible from the front of the engine. Plus any basic engine parts are readily available and not outrageously expensive since the basic block is the same as the ones used in the Kubota tractors.

To make it even better, you get really good service and support from Beta US.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 19:56   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I don't think I have ever seen a complaint of any kind against either Beta or Nanni on this forum, and I've been hanging around here for a long time. I can't say that for the other brands that you have selected.

Well, I did some searching and there are a number of posts of older Nanni and Beta engines with problems.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 20:19   #5

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox

Guyz, what can I say? Beta Marine may be for me. There is a dealer on the island of Oahu. I like the tractor motor concept, world-wide parts, and easily accessible servicing areas. I'll call the dealer Monday.

So, can I buy all of you dinner in Hawaii? Any island you wish...

Aloha, Mike

Lastly, are your engines turbo-charged or naturally aspirated? Sorta comes down to more efficient vs simple?
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 21:04   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

I wonder why no one ever recommends Westerbeke. I had it on my previous boat and it was very reliable for many years. Is it price?
Just curious.

As for the Beta, the block is used on tractors all over, but what about the components? I have known that the block interior parts are hardly ever needed - perhaps only later when the engine gets into old age, but it is usually the marinized components that brakes.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 21:20   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post

As for the Beta, the block is used on tractors all over, but what about the components? I have known that the block interior parts are hardly ever needed - perhaps only later when the engine gets into old age, but it is usually the marinized components that brakes.
While it is true that the marinizing bits can and do fail, seems like injectors, injector pumps, lift pumps, valves and associated parts and gaskets for routine inspections all are available at the tractor store. Not only that, but they actually stock many of these parts in house, something that neither Yanmar nor Volvo are famous for in many cruising destinations. When harvest time looms farmers are not as patient as yotties, and they are damn sure not willing to pay "marine" prices !

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-03-2013, 21:21   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have a Westerbeke in my current boat and parts are outrageous. Hear the same from other Westerbeke owners.

I agree that the external parts are the ones most likely to break but Beta seems to offer pretty good prices on those parts. Also I think a lot of the parts are fairly standard, generic as well.
Old 29-03-2013, 21:28   #9

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia
I wonder why no one ever recommends Westerbeke. I had it on my previous boat and it was very reliable for many years. Is it price?
Just curious.

I'll tell you why no one recommends Westerbeke. They don't manufacture engines- never have. They marinize 3rd party short blocks. Their " engineering" is skimpy, and their parts are outrageously expensive. Example: water pump impeller from parts house- $20. Identical part in red Westwrbeke box- $65. Their documentation is at best general. I have had three, and hope to own no more. The engines are as reliable as the builder - very good - but Westerbeke's off the shelf add -on parts are so -so. For example, wiring is not high quality, connectors are even worse. There is no thought given to how an engine will actually be serviced, making seemingly simple tasks a real nightmare. And Westerbeke won't even give you the time of day if you call them. They refer you to your dealer. If you bought the boat/engine 2nd hand, sorry Charlie.
Other than that, they're great.
Mickey Rouse
Old 30-03-2013, 07:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
I'll tell you why no one recommends Westerbeke. They don't manufacture engines- never have. They marinize 3rd party short blocks. Their " engineering" is skimpy, and their parts are outrageously expensive. Example: water pump impeller from parts house- $20. Identical part in red Westwrbeke box- $65. Their documentation is at best general. I have had three, and hope to own no more. The engines are as reliable as the builder - very good - but Westerbeke's off the shelf add -on parts are so -so. For example, wiring is not high quality, connectors are even worse. There is no thought given to how an engine will actually be serviced, making seemingly simple tasks a real nightmare. And Westerbeke won't even give you the time of day if you call them. They refer you to your dealer. If you bought the boat/engine 2nd hand, sorry Charlie.
Other than that, they're great.
Mickey Rouse
I'll add another example. New water pump">raw water pump. This is not made by Westerbeke, just a standard Sherwood pump. From Westerbeke in their box $520.41. Exact same pump from Marine Pumps Direct $331.98.

Now I would buy from Westerbeke and pay a little more if they were supporting my old engine with a full line of parts but almost $200 more for a pump is way beyond reasonable.

This is the policy that has convinced me to put Westerbeke at the bottom of my list if I choose to repower.
Old 30-03-2013, 07:55   #11

The single most important decision when repowering. Is Who is going to support my new engine. Do you have a good relationship with the vendor? Or do you not trust the vendor to provide what you want. Even if it's a great product.

Find a vendor in your area that will be available (and you trust) in 5 years when there is a problem.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 08:49   #12

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I have found Volvo parts to be rather more expensive then others. Tough to go wrong with a shiny silver Yanmar... Beta seems like a good value and a reliable motor as others have already said.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 08:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
I have found Volvo parts to be rather more expensive then others. Tough to go wrong with a shiny silver Yanmar... Beta seems like a good value and a reliable motor as others have already said.
this is an often repeated mantra of the internet. While some VP parts are more expensive than others. Most are not. The parts people seem to complain about are service parts for engines in the 20+ year old range.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 17:48   #14

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Jim, Skipmac, Mickey Rouse

Very good points and I agree with you all. Mickey explained well, however Beta also does not manufacture engines but at least they provide fair prices and good support.
I had a Westerbeke before and avoided to buy parts from them at all costs. My current boat came with a Westerbeke and I traced the Mitsubishi block and got the manual to order the (Mitsubishi tractor) parts when I need it. The engine has only 900 hours, so it’s a keeper – don’t be sorry.
Thanks for your comments.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 17:54   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Just to respond to the westerbeke issue , very few marine engine builders are building the block, most are using standard blocks from Volvo, Perkins, Toyota, kubota, this includes yanmar, beta , nanni , etc. the engine is a combination of standard parts, custom parts and third party parts.

Dave

Tags
engine, yanmar