Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2013, 04:24   #31

Re: Tough question...I'm replacing my engine, an older Yanmar...

a quick web search found the following

a quick search found the following
Yanmar 2YM20 head gasket $79
Volvo D1-20 head gasket $65
Kubota D722 head gasket $69
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 08:16   #32

Boat: Sceptre 41

Hi Pat,
I was interested in the same question so I looked up starters. I don't know what engine these fit but the starters on a Kubota range in the $125 and under at this website Kubota Starters Yanmar $374 Yanmar 129608-77010 Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts I could not find the price on a starter for a Volvo diesel. The gas engine starters were running $170 at Jamestown Distributors.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 08:37   #33

Boat: Finnsailer 38

One thought on how Beta Marine makes everything accessible from the front of the engine. That may be great for you, but on my boat that is the least accessible side! On your engine, it might be difficult to reach say the starboard side. Think about how a particular engine will work in your boat.
Old 31-03-2013, 08:57   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi Pat,
I was interested in the same question so I looked up starters. I don't know what engine these fit but the starters on a Kubota range in the $125 and under at this website Kubota Starters Yanmar $374 Yanmar 129608-77010 Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts I could not find the price on a starter for a Volvo diesel. The gas engine starters were running $170 at Jamestown Distributors.
apples and oranges Charlie.
Your looking the parts up for two separate market segments. Yes boat parts cost more than construction EQ / tractor parts. Why, because yachties will pay it. Do your due dillegance and find the Yanmar base industrial engine. Then compare starter prices.

BUT FIRST, why on earth would you buy a new starter? unless is was a gift to Neptune. Each and every starter can be rebuilt.
Old 31-03-2013, 09:15   #35

OP: go with non turbo. KISS

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 09:52   #36

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
BUT FIRST, why on earth would you buy a new starter? unless is was a gift to Neptune. Each and every starter can be rebuilt.
And, get the starter rebuilt at a non-marine shop and save lots of money. Though I have read that some folks carry a spare starter to avoid the problem of losing one in the middle of the Pacific and not being able to do anything about it for a few months. I've always figured that's one advantage of having a sailboat.
Old 31-03-2013, 10:46   #37

Boat: Hans Christian 33
One more vote for beta! Installed the 16 on my current boat, will do it again on the next boat if it is needed.
Old 31-03-2013, 13:24   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Sir,
Your statement above should be backed up with data.

Please state the exact models of Volvo and Kubota you are comparing.
No.

Simply put, I'm not up to the task of going through and building and compiling a large statistically sound document with all sources cited to satisfy an internet argument that I made.

When I was shopping for a motor I did call Yanmar and ask to be quoted price for spares or replacement on many things. I also called Beta. And I also called the Kubota tractor dealers.

Yanmar was astronomical compared to the other guys. Beta slightly higher but not much markup above the tractor stores.

I remember shopping for things like mixing elbows, water pumps, injector pumps, injectors, lift pump, motor mounts, belts, starters. Things I thought were probable failures.
Old 31-03-2013, 14:23   #39

Boat: 46' Hughes Trimaran (46' x 44')

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Since you are a sailor first have you given any thought to converting to electric propulsion? I converted from diesel five years ago and never looked back. Maintenance and parts cost have gone way down since I did.

Though before I decided to go to electric propulsion I was very close to putting in a BETA Marine diesel for many of the reasons already mentioned. Especially ease of maintenance.
. I have a pretty large boat. Are you talking photovoltaic power or ?
P1PEL1NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 15:14   #40

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
No.
It is pretty silly to make a definitive statement of fact and refuse to provide any proof of that fact. If you are too lazy to provide proof, you should be too lazy to make the summary statement in the first place.

To answer the question for you, there is very little difference in prices of parts. Data supporting this statement is in post #11 of this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lvo-30696.html

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 15:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeline View Post
with a new three cylinder Yanmar or Volvo Penta, diesel. I'm a sailor first, not terrific with engines, though I know how to keep them running. Which company would you choose and why? I like both products. Maybe you knowledgeable folks out there have a couple of good ideas. I have owned a VP previously, also.

Thx, in advance.

Mike
Do you have a saildrive or shaft? If saildrive, definitely go with Volvo. If shaft, the advice from Never Monday and Ziggy is very good.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 31-03-2013, 15:56   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
It is pretty silly to make a definitive statement of fact and refuse to provide any proof of that fact. If you are too lazy to provide proof, you should be too lazy to make the summary statement in the first place.

To answer the question for you, there is very little difference in prices of parts. Data supporting this statement is in post #11 of this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lvo-30696.html

Mark
Its pretty silly to assume that someone posting on the internet without cited sources is making a STATEMENT OF FACT. This is the internet. I state my OPINION here unless I chose to give a full citation and backing. Do you cite and back up every single thing you ever say? Is there no value in the knowledge that people have but they cannot or are unwilling to confirm? Thanks for the link.

Sometimes the idea of trying to defend myself online is more an obstacle than the actual work. I speak my mind. I could be wrong. But I'm usually not.

And no, I won't cite sources or back that up.
Old 31-03-2013, 16:22   #43

Yes, I usually do try to back up any factual statements I make, as do a lot of the people here providing advice. Or at least I make the statements from direct experience. I would definitely back up statements with data if asked or challenged.

You did not state an opinion. Opinions start with words to the effect of "I think that...", or "in my opinion...".

You stated "The cost to replace or fix those sorts of things on a Volvo are astronomical compared to the prices of the Kubota based engines."

That sounds like a statement of fact no matter how you like to slice it. Further, it turns out that you did not even have that knowledge itself, as two of us have shown you.

So, no, in this case there is no value in your knowledge and this example serves to show why little value should be given to statements from people who are unwilling to confirm them.

It is certainly acceptable to speak ones mind, and I am not bringing you to task over any of that (but be prepared on the internet for lots of defending of personal opinions). However, you cannot yell fire in a theater and then just say "it was just my opinion, I may be wrong, but I don't have to defend it."

"There is a fire" is a fact. "I don't like fire" is an opinion.

Mark

Old 31-03-2013, 16:45   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
No.

Simply put, I'm not up to the task of going through and building and compiling a large statistically sound document with all sources cited to satisfy an internet argument that I made.

When I was shopping for a motor I did call Yanmar and ask to be quoted price for spares or replacement on many things. I also called Beta. And I also called the Kubota tractor dealers.

Yanmar was astronomical compared to the other guys. Beta slightly higher but not much markup above the tractor stores.

I remember shopping for things like mixing elbows, water pumps, injector pumps, injectors, lift pump, motor mounts, belts, starters. Things I thought were probable failures.
My apology if your offended. As I stated earlier. This is an oft quoted mantra of the internet. When real, actual light is put on the subject. It shows a bias and agenda.

It is a pet peeve of mine. And yes I do have a bias / agenda.
Old 31-03-2013, 16:49   #45

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
OP: go with non turbo. KISS
i think so, also. My son loves turbo's on everything. He has rebuilt several, and says it's a no brainer for power. My old-school ways, however, say, yes, KISS. I will be underpowered...I'm looking at the Beta 30 hp for my 62' tri, with a 22,000 lb displacement (carbon fiber), straight shaft, very clean bottom, few thru-hulls, so, I think I'll be fine.
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, yanmar