Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2024, 04:41   #1

Red Diesel - Can I use it after approx 3 years

Hi

I have kept a 5 gallon plastic container with Red Diesel in my aft locker for nearly three years. I kept meaning to top up the boats tank with it but I've just never got round to it and now 3 years have past!

I took it home last month and shook the container before taking a sample. After leaving it for 48 hours, there doesn't appear to be any water separation and very little debris seems to have collected at the bottom of the sample. I use Marine 16 diesel bug treatment in my main tank every year and (to date) that seems to have worked quite well in keeping the dreaded bug away.

Is it safe to top up my main tank with this diesel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Deisel Sample Dec 2023.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	284980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Deisel Sample Dec 2023 - Top Down.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	284981  

Duncancw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:19   #2

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'
Re: Red Diesel - Can I use it after approx 3 years

Personally, I would have zero issues with putting this into my fuel tank. I've started diesel engines that sat for 12 years with the fuel that was in the tanks. Just checked it for water in the fuel, and if none, fire her up! Diesel doesn't degrade or suffer from phase separation like gasoline does. Especially if kept dry.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Diesel fuel is, generally, considered to have a shelf life of about 12-24 months, if stored at a temperature below 20°C (68°F).
Unless it doesn’t.
If temperatures reach above 30°C (86°F), shelf life is 6-12 months at best. As the temperatures rise, self life goes down.
Temperature is not the only variable that affects the shelf life of diesel fuel.
Water & particulate contamination both work to destabilize the fuel, and cause reduced life.
There are, also, numerous ways fuel composition differs, including the original crude, the fuel was refined from, to the additive package, added to the diesel fuel after refining, and it’s biodiesel content, all of which affect shelf life.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Ditto. I'm running on five year-old diesel at present. If you have any doubts, add it to a larger quantity of fresh fuel. Gasoline? Not over six months (date the can with a Sharpie), and remember that summer gas and winter gas are different up where summer and winter are significantly different.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Back in the day, when you could reliably get 3-5 years of good storage life out of your diesel fuel, the refineries were only getting 55-60% distillate content, from each barrel of crude.
Now, they get 93% distillate content.
But they only get this through specialized chemical reactions (cracking). They get more diesel and gasoline, but those fuels are less stable and more reactive.

Biodiesel content in the fuel matters, because biodiesel increases diesel fuel’s ability to hold water and also increases the chances of the fuel developing microbial problems (because microbes like to feed on it).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:43   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Use it! Looks good. I've used multi-year old gasoline and diesel with no problems.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:55   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Great addition to a heating oil tank.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Personally I would use it and not worry about it. That said it’s like $20 if you are worried about it then you don’t have a lot to lose recycling it.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:18   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

When I have been in a similar situation I have used the old diesel in turf care equipment where the consequences of engine failure pose lesser risks.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:34   #10

Boat: Columbia 36

It's probably fine diluted with the other fuel in your tank but if you're concerned there are safer uses. Home oil furnaces and portable diesel heaters aren't at all picky about their fuel so if you know anyone who uses that they can burn it.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 14:17   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

You don’t say where you are, or the area you intend to cruise.

Even a small quantity of red diesel can cause problems in some countries where the red dye indicates tax free fuel. Authorities can dip the tank and detect even minute quantities. Unfortunately, even running the tank dry and refilling with taxed fuel leaves some trace amount of red diesel and this can lead to prosecution. There are hefty fines in some countries.

Multiple tank drainings and refills are are needed to eliminate this trace.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 14:30   #12

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I’ve used diesel similarly stored that was three years old, except for no bug treatment. It ran fine.
Old 02-01-2024, 22:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
You don’t say where you are, or the area you intend to cruise.

Even a small quantity of red diesel can cause problems in some countries where the red dye indicates tax free fuel. Authorities can dip the tank and detect even minute quantities. Unfortunately, even running the tank dry and refilling with taxed fuel leaves some trace amount of red diesel and this can lead to prosecution. There are hefty fines in some countries.

Multiple tank drainings and refills are are needed to eliminate this trace.
You’re referring to “road tax”, which means it is applicable to motor vehicles that use highways, not off road vehicles like farm tractors, heavy equipment or boats.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 06:32   #14

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Diesel fuel is, generally, considered to have a shelf life of about 12-24 months, if stored at a temperature below 20°C (68°F).
Unless it doesn’t.
If temperatures reach above 30°C (86°F), shelf life is 6-12 months at best. As the temperatures rise, self life goes down.
Temperature is not the only variable that affects the shelf life of diesel fuel.
Water & particulate contamination both work to destabilize the fuel, and cause reduced life.
There are, also, numerous ways fuel composition differs, including the original crude, the fuel was refined from, to the additive package, added to the diesel fuel after refining, and it’s biodiesel content, all of which affect shelf life.
Diesel has a lot longer life than that, it lasts for decades, only the new HVO Diesels have a 10 year shelf life. My industry is adjusting to the fuel life being shorten to 10 years. - oh and if you are not sure of if your fuel is HVO it’s not. It’s only used by specific markets although readily available it’s expensive, so not likely to find its way into your fuel station.
Note - diesel does need polishing (filtering) every now and then, commercially it’s done yearly or less often.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 06:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
You’re referring to “road tax”, which means it is applicable to motor vehicles that use highways, not off road vehicles like farm tractors, heavy equipment or boats.
It is no longer permitted to use marked diesel (UK-red, Ireland-green etc), in EU waters.
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel